Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Remove one ladder rung ??

Hi,
The top most rung on the roof ladder for my Forester is above the roof line. This makes it very difficult (for me) to get on the roof and almost impossible to get off without my wife guiding my foot to the second rung.

Can I just remove the top rung? Or is there some trick to climbing over the rung? I climb up and kneel on to the roof to get on and reverse the procedure to get off. That high rung is really in the way. Did not have this problem with either of my other two motor homes.

Thanks,
Bob Schoner
rschoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Most people climb up the ladder to the top and then step off to one side on the roof.

Having said that, removing the top rung will remove a little side to side support from the ladder risers, but that shouldn't matter to the overall integrity of it. Especially since you'll be stepping from below the top rear supports onto the roof, and not be putting any lateral force on the risers.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Most people climb up the ladder to the top and then step off to one side on the roof.

Unfortunately, my knees will not let me do that without something to hold on to. And, that's not possible since the side supports do not go up very far; so, I use the "kneeling on" approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Having said that, removing the top rung will remove a little side to side support from the ladder risers, but that shouldn't matter to the overall integrity of it. Especially since you'll be stepping from below the top rear supports onto the roof, and not be putting any lateral force on the risers.

I thought that too. I just wanted to get it confirmed or get some experience from someone who may have tried it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the follow-up.
Bob Schoner
rschoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 PM   #4

Can you move it?? Maybe lower or next to the roof? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Wait till next year...

Know what your saying about the knees,Bob and I can add both ankles-fractured them a few years back. I use the rear ladder now to carry my 27gal Tote Along when we dry camp and have an Aluminum Telescopic Ladder I carry in the rear storage compartment. Lot easier to climb at an angle and I lean it on the sunseekers ladder
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote