Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

removing bed support and putting short dresser in?

I have a Vibe 268RKS and it's sorely lacking in bedroom storage. I'm strongly considering pulling the underbed storage box and putting in a couple small dressers. Ikea has a couple two drawer units about 22" tall which is the exact height of the storage box. Are there any issues I should think about before diving into this? I would screw the dresser(s) down and probably piece together whatever I need to make it look decent. I cant imagine it's too involved and alot cheaper than having cabinets made up for the purpose. I'm no carpenter by any means.
2014 F150 Supercrew 4x4 3.5L EB 3:31 axle
1999 F350 Supercab V10 4x4 3.73 LS
Markwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
RiderBloke

I have used a lot of IKEA furniture and generally it is great. I did consider it for the mods to my trailer but for various reasons did not do so. IKEA furniture can be very heavy, which was one reason I built my own box - and I am no carpenter either. I would also not rely on the way they hold the main box together as those screw mechanisms (sorry I don't know their technical name) are not as secure as normal cabinetry and have to be tightened and checked every so often. Remember the trailer bounces and vibrates down the road and also flexes as you move through it. I would buy some of Ikea's wonderful plastic shelf brackets to add to the main structure of the box to keep it tight. They are light and strong. I have used them quite a bit for various projects.
I can't stop modifying my new trailer and every time I say to my wife that's it I get another idea. Hope you enjoy modifying yours.

Sent from somewhere on the face of the earth with my iPad using Forest River Forums
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed