Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Replace Dometic with Honeywell Thermostat

After putting up with 5 degree temperature swings I decided to figure out why I was constantly going from hot to cold and back again. As the temps outside I wanted them more constant inside. It all came down to the thermostat. The Dometic analog (with temp slide) was definitely the problem. Spending was a consideration - I wanted a good thermostat but with features.

I finally settled on the Honeywell 5.2 Programmable. Perfect for what I wanted.

I researched a few forums and also the manufacturers recommendations. My system is a Suburban LP furnace and Dometic roof mounted AC. I used the color coding of Red (cap it off), Yellow to Y (cool), Brown/Blue both to G (fan - high speed), White to W (furnace), Green to RC/RH.

In my case I also an Orange Lead (I capped it off - it is to the warmer in the AC unit - an added feature).

It took 30 minutes. Time well spent. The unit runs a little more but the temp swing is gone. I have a 1 (at most 2) temp change before the unit comes one.

Best of all - it is programmable. I now wake up to a warm (or cool) unit. No more fiddling with the old slide and end up hot and cold.

The big NOTE that anyone who wants to make the same change - the thermostat must be able to work with 12V systems.
RobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
10x

What model did you get?
Where did you buy it?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

I purchased Honeywell Model #: RTH6350D1000 at Lowes

Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat.

If you are really into tech you can buy the one with WiFi.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Added note to some who may have issues with temp, but not necessarily the thermostat.

Our limit switch, relatively new I might add, failed and was replaced shortly thereafter. The new switch had great variance in temp which randomly made the cabin hot and cold. A subsequent new switch solved the problem.

My guess, limit switches are not quality controlled as tightly as one might think. A second switch which was tested by me now resides in our spares locker, and because I have a second switch I'll never have this problem again.

Just a thought.

Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Update - We've been enjoying the comfort of a warm MH. No problems have been encountered. It is nice to wake up to a warm coach. I also do not have to remember to turn it down at night. I do wish I had bought the broadband ready. That way I don't even have to be home to change the temperature. Totally spoiled.

Tags
dometic, thermostat