Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #1

Replacing jack knife sofa...

I own a 2012 Surveyor SP275 TT and it is time to replace my jack knife sofa. I would like to remove same and replace it by two lazy boy chairs however, the current jack knife sofa rests on a wooden box. What is inside this wooden box? Are there motors or other parts that are hidden and would prevent me from removing it and replacing it by a couole of lazy boy type chairs OR is it empty?

Thank you
Jagsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Team

-- Edited -- I think I was wrong. I went and looked, and I think that box houses the slide motor and gearing.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsroy View Post
I own a 2012 Surveyor SP275 TT and it is time to replace my jack knife sofa. I would like to remove same and replace it by two lazy boy chairs however, the current jack knife sofa rests on a wooden box. What is inside this wooden box? Are there motors or other parts that are hidden and would prevent me from removing it and replacing it by a couole of lazy boy type chairs OR is it empty?

Thank you
With the jack knife sofa removed, could you possibly fit in a dual recliner love seat or are you set on the Lazy Boys? We replaced ours and love it. If you find a wall hugger model it should fit just like the jack knife. And it will fit thru the door, just make sure the back can be detached. Got ours at Living Spaces Furniture.
Happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

happydaze

Thank you for your response. A dual recliner love seat would be fine with us. What model TT do you have? Is it the same as mine? (Surveyor SP275)

I see another reply from Bama Rambler indicating that the box houses the slide motor and gear...

Thank you (both)
Jagsroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:21 PM   #5

I owned (and moved) a Lazy Boy recliner for quite some time before the sales person at Lazy Boy demonstrated for me that I could remove the back for easier handling. I sure wish I had known that earlier!
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsroy View Post
happydaze

Thank you for your response. A dual recliner love seat would be fine with us. What model TT do you have? Is it the same as mine? (Surveyor SP275)

I see another reply from Bama Rambler indicating that the box houses the slide motor and gear...

Thank you (both)
We have a 251RKS. It has 1 slide out with a U-shaped dinette. The sofa is on the curb side of the trailer. I don't have any box behind the sofa, but it is far enough away from the wall that we store our outdoor mats there while traveling. If your jack knife was in the slide, I'm pretty sure this would work. The new sofa has about the same footprint as the old one.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
With the jack knife sofa removed, could you possibly fit in a dual recliner love seat or are you set on the Lazy Boys? We replaced ours and love it. If you find a wall hugger model it should fit just like the jack knife. And it will fit thru the door, just make sure the back can be detached. Got ours at Living Spaces Furniture.
I would really like to see pictures, as i really can't picture how you did it
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
I would really like to see pictures, as i really can't picture how you did it
Looking at your floorplan, your sofa is in the slide. I'm not sure if this box that you are talking about is in the rear behind the sofa or runs down the side of the slide. We brought this in thru a 24" door, the loveseat is 63". I could have gone a couple or 3 inches longer. If you buy a loveseat, it will most likely come in 2 pieces, the base and the upright back. The back will just slide into place on the base. Its a 2 person job to get the base in the trailer but it's pretty easy. Snap the back into place and enjoy. You can secure it or not, mine's not going anywhere. The old jack knife sofa was held in by 1 screw in the thin wall paneling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4182.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	148889   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4183.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	148890   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG4184.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	148891  
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaze View Post
Looking at your floorplan, your sofa is in the slide. I'm not sure if this box that you are talking about is in the rear behind the sofa or runs down the side of the slide. We brought this in thru a 24" door, the loveseat is 63". I could have gone a couple or 3 inches longer. If you buy a loveseat, it will most likely come in 2 pieces, the base and the upright back. The back will just slide into place on the base. Its a 2 person job to get the base in the trailer but it's pretty easy. Snap the back into place and enjoy. You can secure it or not, mine's not going anywhere. The old jack knife sofa was held in by 1 screw in the thin wall paneling.
thanks but i don't think i am going to be able to replace the jack knife in mine the way the slide is built
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote