Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Reupholstering

We just bought our first RV, a 2010 FR Salem 30QBSS, and it has UGLY fabric just... everywhere in there. It's that corduroy stuff that absorbs every speck of dust and every smell and icky thing that comes by. So I'm eager to reupholster it with a vinyl because in a year we plan to go Full Time RV with a toddler who has spent about an hour in it so far and already spilled on a cushion. Also, I'm not at all concerned with the small space (some of the apartments we've lived in...) but, I WILL get depressed if I have to look at that horrific pattern every day. I'll go all "Yellow Wallpaper". Seriously, who designed this? The floors and cabinets and walls I really like, they're all attractive shades of oak and brown and the countertops are actually pretty but some crazy person threw this fabric down and patted themselves on the back and they should be smacked for it.

I've seen some good tutorials and I'm an avid DIYer and seamstress so I'm not too worried about a lot of the work to reupholster, but one thing I cannot find a good answer to is how to reupholster those daggum fabric button caps that go over the screws. There are 42! Please, if you have encountered this and found a good solution enlighten me.

Any other general advice you have for reupholstering would be much appreciated. I am most daunted by the idea of the couch, so if you've experienced this, let me know your tips and tricks!

Thanks!

2010 Salem by Forest River LE Series M-30QBSS
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with a 6.6 L V8 Duramax turbo diesel
Mkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Do you have picture to show?
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #3
Wildland Firefighter

Smile Button covers

If your able to get to a fabric store, in their button isle they will have all you need. Most buttons are in two pieces. The bottom is metal with a loop on the back to be stitched to the cushion, and the top is a sort of a cap that you cover with a tiny piece of fabric and tuck it under the edge and then snap it onto the bottom half of the button and wahlah. It's actually pretty easy. The learning curve is very short. The best of luck.
Gordon and Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote