Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2024, 05:42 PM   #1

Riverstone Legacy 442MC - My personal improvements

As the title suggests, I own a Riverstone Legacy 442MC and this thread will detail some of the changes, upgrades, improvements, etc that I am going to make to my rig. These projects are specific to my needs and wants so keep that in mind, not all of these projects are what would be best for the general public. They are what's best for me and my 2023 Riverstone Legacy 442MC.

Some these projects are general enough to apply to other models and RV's, some will be specific to my rig.

After living with the 442MC for about a year I've developed a long list of items that I feel are simple projects that will have a huge upgrade to the rig.

The following posts will detail changes I've made and why I made the change. I'll also try to share if I think it is an improvement that you can make on your own rig even if you don't have the same model.
deewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 05:51 PM   #2

JBL Soundbar - Rewire and upgrade

Soundbar Upgrade

The first project I’d like to highlight is something most owners who have a soundbar can change and I think improve from how the factory set things up. I even spoke to Forest River about changing ho they wire things, but they either didn’t believe me or didn’t care. No biggie though, it’s a simple project.

If you have a soundbar, especially with the Riverstone Legacy lines and the Ultimate Electronics Package with the JBL Premium Sound System, coming from the factory Forest River uses an optical cable to send the audio signal from the TV to the soundbar. Using the optical cable to send only the audio signal to the soundbar requires you to use the JBL remote control to control the sound level instead of the TV remote control. The optical cable only sends an audio signal to the soundbar, nothing more. Using the TV remote volume buttons can’t control the soundbar volume with this setup since the optical cable only sends the audio signal, nothing more (volume level).

In my rig I was happy to see the factory ran both an optical and hdmi cable from the TV to the back of the soundbar, but the factory only connected the optical cable to the Tv and the soundbar. To make this improvement we can disconnect the optical and connect the HDMI and use on the TV remote to control the sound.
  1. Unplug the optical cable from the back of the TV and from the back of the JBL Soundbar.
    Optical Cable:

2. Confirm HDMI cable running to the soundbar area is plugged into the back of the TV and connected to the eARC HDMI port (eARC stands for Audio Return Channel - that allows the sound and the volume commands to be passed back and forth between the soundbar and TV).
  3. Plug the HDMI cable to the back of the JBL. Make sure to connect the HDMI cable to the “HDMI Input” port.
  4. Turn on your TV (if you have the Samsung 7-Series that came with your Riverstone). Press the Home button on your remote, and then navigate to and select Settings. Select Sound, select Sound Output, and then select “external Speakers”. Note: If you have a different brand the steps may be similar, but could be slightly different. You need to adjust audio settings on the TV to use "external speakers" to let the TV control the soundbar volume.

The JBL Soundbar should now receive audio signal and the TV remote should control the volume.

I personally remove the JBL soundbar and connected a Sonos Beam soundbar and Sonos mini subwoofer. They function the same as the JBL, but the Sonos will let me add the sandbar to an audio eco-system I will highlight in a later post.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:05 PM   #3

Basement Storage

Basement storage

This will be a multi-part post as only some of the improvements or projects will be completed now and some will be completed during the summer.

The 442Mc is somewhat limited on basement storage. Because of the floor plan there is a limited amount of space available underneath. Since I am not a full-timer, the limited storage isn't a real concern, but was something I wanted to improve on.

The first thing I notices were the 1/8" sliding panels to access the Firefly and most of the electrical wiring.

I thought it would be a great area to hang things on the wall, but with those 1/8" walls, it didn't seem safe to hang anything more than a flashlight on the wall. I first thought about swapping out the 1/8" sliding doors for 1/2" of more but then decided I would go another route.

I removed the sliding doors and used 3/4" plywood to create a recessed mounting wall. The new all is held in place by 6 screws that can be accessed and removed to pull out the storage and get to the electrical wiring.

I plan on mount the power tool batteries, the battery charger, road flares, nitrile gloves, a second fire extinguisher and a paper towel holder on the new storage cubby area.

You'll also notice I replaced a second carpeted wall that covered the plumbing area. I replaced that with 3/4" plywood with a plastic coating. In a few weeks that will be another area for another project.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:02 PM   #4

Basement Lighting

There is a theme to the first several posts, and that is the basement. Until 2023, many of the basements in all the RV's were poorly lit. I decided to add some LED lights.

Basement before the upgraded lighting:

Basement after:

What I ordered:
LED Light Kit with Motion Sensor
V-Shape LED diffuser
Old 02-13-2024, 02:03 AM   #5

Very nice modifications.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Very nice modifications.
Thanks for sharing.
X2
Old 04-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #7

I pitched the small water filter that came with the rig and installed a Clearsource system. The Clearsource system works much better, just with my wife had not ordered the bulky outdoor/inline filter. But it still works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9869.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	298767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9868.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	298768