Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #1

Rockwood 85299BS water filter and bypass valves access mod

So, not exactly sure what FR was thinking but in order to access your water filter and bypass lines, you have to crawl into the basement and take out several screws to remove a big panel. Really? Not all of us are small or young enough to crawl around the basement storage area.

So I cut out a section in front of the filter and used velcro to re-attach that piece of panel for quick access. Its still very difficult to reach the bypass valve for the water heater but its better than nothing.
Also the top of the aluminum rail isn't secured to anything. They have a rectangular frame that is only secured to the bottom. Since I hang things on that wall, I added some strap from the top of the frame to the wood frame support under the water heater to keep it from flopping around and breaking.

This would have been a very simple process at the factory to make a pop out access panel and secure the darn aluminum rail properly.
Just be very careful when winter/de-winterizing camper pulling the filter jug off. It does not drain all the water with the low point drain.
I had to use air compressor adapter, with in-line water pressure regulator, and use only 10psi with low points open(do not fully pressurize water lines with air pressure or you can blow a line) to get enough water/antifreeze out of the filter jug to remove it without spilling it all over.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	134501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	134502  
coneslayer is offline   Reply With Quote