Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Canadian Member

RVLock Install Problem

Today I tried to install the RVLock v4.0 on the entry door of my early-2019 Rockwood 8290BS. Installing the handle was easy enough but I can’t get it to shift far enough towards the hinge side of the door so that the inside handle clears the screen door frame. I can’t secure the screen door to the main door. I only need to shift it a few millimeteres to get it to clear. The main door is a Dexter door and it’s causing me grief due to the binding friction hinge, too.

I called tech support at RVLock and the lady I spoke to had no solution I could try.

Before I return the handle I thought I’d ask here if anyone has had this issue and found a solution other than trying to shave some material off the new handle or the screen door frame. Can the screen door be shifted where it is screwed to the hinges?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

I had the same problem. I used a dremel tool and shaved a little off off the inside RVlock handle so it cleared the screen. Like you said a few millimeters. If I remember right I also beat the screen door frame in a little. It all works great now, we love it! Here a pic. You can see where I shaved it off. BTW: I think we have the same door and screen.
I could not figure any other way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190927_131112.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	215916  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I had the same problem. I used a dremel tool and shaved a little off off the inside RVlock handle so it cleared the screen. Like you said a few millimeters. If I remember right I also beat the screen door frame in a little. It all works great now, we love it! Here a pic. You can see where I shaved it off. BTW: I think we have the same door and screen.
I could not figure any other way.
Thanks for the photo. You probably do have the same Dexter door that’s on my 5er. It’s an early-2019 so really a late-2018 - build date was 04/04/2018. Have you had issues with the friction hinge binding in hot weather, too?

I’m not willing to shave material off the handle (or the door frame) to make it work. I’m certain I’d botch it up and have it look like crap. I’m willing to eat the return shipping if I can’t come up with something. I’m disappointed that Rockwood chose this Dexter door because it doesn’t work perfectly with the MORryde steps either.

Did you try loosening the 9 screws holding the screen door on the hinges? That’s the only thing I can think of that might allow enough adjustment but it’s probably not a workable option.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

We've had no issues with the door hinges. We have had them in all kinds of temps (20F - 115F) with no problems.
Sorry you won't have the RVlock installed, we really like ours. The small modification was worth it.
As far as the MORryde steps: I have a friend with them and the dirt that gets into the camper from these steps was a no go for us. We will go with the Torklift Glow Step Revolution. A Little more expensive, but great reviews.
I did try adjusting the screen door, but no joy.
Just me, but do the mod on the RVlock, we love ours. The remotes make it all worthwhile.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Today I tried to install the RVLock v4.0 on the entry door of my early-2019 Rockwood 8290BS. Installing the handle was easy enough but I can’t get it to shift far enough towards the hinge side of the door so that the inside handle clears the screen door frame. I can’t secure the screen door to the main door. I only need to shift it a few millimeteres to get it to clear. The main door is a Dexter door and it’s causing me grief due to the binding friction hinge, too.

I called tech support at RVLock and the lady I spoke to had no solution I could try.

Before I return the handle I thought I’d ask here if anyone has had this issue and found a solution other than trying to shave some material off the new handle or the screen door frame. Can the screen door be shifted where it is screwed to the hinges?

Had the same problem on our 5er. I took a razor knife and was able to shave enough off of the hinge side. Been working fine for months now.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

I also used a dremmel and slowly ground just a fraction off the offending side. You could also use a fine file. When done filing, a bit of black paint will have things looking "good as new". I rarely use the fob, but love the keypad.

Regarding the steps, I've also just installed a set of the Torklift Glowstrip steps. Haven't been camping since installing but will be posting our experience. Based just on post install, they were easy to install. I had to remove 4 bolts to pop the old steps off - boy were they heavy. 4 bolts into the same holes to install the new ones which are a lot lighter. Extending and storing seems easy. With them extended, jumping on the steps resulted in no movement of the trailer. My buddy who lets me store my trailer on his property and his wife were very impressed with them (they have a class c).
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I also used a dremmel and slowly ground just a fraction off the offending side. You could also use a fine file. When done filing, a bit of black paint will have things looking "good as new". I rarely use the fob, but love the keypad.

Regarding the steps, I've also just installed a set of the Torklift Glowstrip steps. Haven't been camping since installing but will be posting our experience. Based just on post install, they were easy to install. I had to remove 4 bolts to pop the old steps off - boy were they heavy. 4 bolts into the same holes to install the new ones which are a lot lighter. Extending and storing seems easy. With them extended, jumping on the steps resulted in no movement of the trailer. My buddy who lets me store my trailer on his property and his wife were very impressed with them (they have a class c).
Thanks. It’s looking like trimming the handle may be the only option.

The MORryde steps were installed by the factory so they didn’t provide the step well under the door that you have. That means I can’t use the regular GlowSteps. They have a new “Uprising” model for my situation but they don’t have one yet that is wide enough for my door. Plus the current design has you put screws through the door flange which I don’t like. The stop bracket on the MORryde steps scratches the screen door because the screen door is designed to be tight against that flange. That’s another issue being caused by this oddball Dexter door.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Just to follow up on my issue. I decided to return the door lock. I was not willing to trim it and it didn’t have much overlap along the bottom of the hole that it sits in on the door so I was a bit concerned about that, too. I’m disappointed that it wasn’t a great fit for my door. Oh well.

Tags
lock