Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #1

Salem FSX 178bhsk- outside storage

New to forums and just bought my first RV. Hi everyone.

Has anyone attempted to add a an access to the passenger side of the front storage?

There is access from the drivers side and it stretches across the trailer completely. Just wondering if anyone has installed an access door to utilize access from both sides. I'm sure there is some structural challenges, but it seems plausible.

Thank you
2wheelsV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #2

We bought the Wildwood 178 last month. I tried out one of those low profile under-bed storage containers with wheels this past weekend. I drilled a hole in an end and tied a rope to it so I could push it to the other end and pull it out when I need something in it. I'd like to get one more because it looks like I could have 2 side by side and use them to hold folding chairs and hoses.

I don't understand why they wouldn't put a door on the other side. I think it'd be easier to put in a door if you had the fiberglass model because you wouldn't have to deal with the aluminum siding
JandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

hi i just bought a 178bhsk. this is on the list to check out but i have A LOT of other mods on the list before this. Just looking, not measuring, it looks like the awning arm is in the way. for now, my 4 year old gopher works fine
jcrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

There are several options in door sizes. I did ask my dealership and the concern was if one: it will change the structural integrity, and two: if it will void the siding warranty if not professionally installed.

There are many options. Even if it was only a 12x12 it would be better than nothing. There are options if you search for "baggage door" and the come in black.
TrdLtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #5

Just for reference to those that might be looking later. Both on fiberglass:

Jeff Z

RSData Install
Old 04-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #6

Granted, different TT, but the reason my front stowage isn’t pass thru is that the water heater, pump, & water piping is where any door could be.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem, storage