Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Securing sliding windows for ventilation

Does anyone leave a sliding window open for ventilation when away from their trailer? I'm nervous about leaving the fantastic fan running without something open, though I suspect the trailer is not very airtight, so it may not be necessary. I don't want to leave a window fully open, just a couple of inches. I bought a standard sliding window lock, but it does not fit in the small channel. I'm thinking about a thin metal rod in the track, but I wondered if anyone had had any luck with the thumbscrew-style locks (for better adjustability). I looked around in the forums and couldn't find anything on this.

Thanks,

John
Slowly figuring out the meaning of life
thomlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

How many ceiling vents do you have? You can open one and use the fan in the other and that will change the air. You could still a hole in the track 6 inches back from the closed window and put a long screw sticking out of the hole that will stop the window from opening any further.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you not have vent covers so you can just leave your roof vents open?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Looking at a unit like yours listed for sale.....

If you only have one roof vent with a cover, and the exhaust fan in the bathroom does NOT.....

does your unit have an exhaust vent to the sidewall located over your stove you could leave open?

BTW.....I don’t see it’s necessary to leave your fan running. Just have a way for air to circulate.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #5

You can use wooden dowels they are plenty strong enough and screw a mini loop into them for handle.
https://www.amazon.com/Darice-9162-0...-garden&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Screws...ac6741_p_1_t_p
Old 02-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
You can use wooden dowels they are plenty strong enough and screw a mini loop into them for handle.

Huh? Did you read the original post?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Looking at a unit like yours listed for sale.....

If you only have one roof vent with a cover, and the exhaust fan in the bathroom does NOT.....

does your unit have an exhaust vent to the sidewall located over your stove you could leave open?

BTW.....I don’t see it’s necessary to leave your fan running. Just have a way for air to circulate.
Only one ceiling vent, which is where the exhaust fan is. The over-range vents open outwards, so exhausting air with the fan would draw the covers in and shut them. Unless, again, there are enough "engineered" air gaps around them. I just tried running the fan with the trailer closed up, and it seemed to be straining, so don't want to do that.

Having the exhaust fan on makes a huge difference in temperature inside the trailer as long as the open window is in the shade. Without the fan on, there just isn't enough density difference between the air on the shaded side and on the sunny side to move a lot of air.

John
Old 02-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post

The channel is only 3/16" wide, and a dowel that size would pop right out, I think. That's why I was leaning towards a metal rod or bar, which, while not readily adjustable, I think might be the best bet.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
How many ceiling vents do you have? You can open one and use the fan in the other and that will change the air. You could still a hole in the track 6 inches back from the closed window and put a long screw sticking out of the hole that will stop the window from opening any further.
Well now, that's a thought. My only fear is that the outside track (which is where the sliding window is) is awfully close to the outside of the trailer, and the one thing I have had drummed into my head over and over is not to add any more holes to the outside walls or the roof unless absolutely necessary.

John
Old 02-28-2020, 02:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlinson View Post
The channel is only 3/16" wide, and a dowel that size would pop right out, I think. That's why I was leaning towards a metal rod or bar, which, while not readily adjustable, I think might be the best bet.
They make dowels that are 3/16".

If that's too big, they also make ones that are 1/8.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #11

Personally, I think you are over thinking this. We leave our trailer for hours at a time with windows cracked open. f someone really wants to get in through a window, I would think they would need a ladder in order to be able to reach high enough to open and climb in. Our windows are too high for me to climb in.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Personally, I think you are over thinking this. We leave our trailer for hours at a time with windows cracked open. f someone really wants to get in through a window, I would think they would need a ladder in order to be able to reach high enough to open and climb in. Our windows are too high for me to climb in.
You're probably right.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Well now, that's a thought. My only fear is that the outside track (which is where the sliding window is) is awfully close to the outside of the trailer, and the one thing I have had drummed into my head over and over is not to add any more holes to the outside walls or the roof unless absolutely necessary.

John
I drilled all my sliding Windows that way so they only open 6 inches. Did it back in 2012 and never a problem. Quarter inch should be big enough.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Does anyone leave a sliding window open for ventilation when away from their trailer? I'm nervous about leaving the fantastic fan running without something open, though I suspect the trailer is not very airtight, so it may not be necessary. I don't want to leave a window fully open, just a couple of inches. I bought a standard sliding window lock, but it does not fit in the small channel. I'm thinking about a thin metal rod in the track, but I wondered if anyone had had any luck with the thumbscrew-style locks (for better adjustability). I looked around in the forums and couldn't find anything on this.

Thanks,

John
Broom Stick ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #15

Never locked a window. Been to race tracks in the summer with the windows left wide open with thousands of people walking through the campground field. Campgrounds, fields and boondocking, never had any issues with windows open except unexpected rain storm ;-).

Unless the place was somewhere I felt there was some shady characters hanging around looking for an opportunity, I wouldn't be concerned. If it was one of those places, I don't think I would be leaving my camper, more like leaving period.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
Never locked a window. Been to race tracks in the summer with the windows left wide open with thousands of people walking through the campground field. Campgrounds, fields and boondocking, never had any issues with windows open except unexpected rain storm ;-).

Unless the place was somewhere I felt there was some shady characters hanging around looking for an opportunity, I wouldn't be concerned. If it was one of those places, I don't think I would be leaving my camper, more like leaving period.
I have seen some days in the CG @ MIS,
Your unit would be thick with DUST if you left your windows all open !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, window