Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 AM   #1

Should I upgrade my dinette framework?

Your thoughts appreciated, see the short video clip below of my concern. Should I worry about this? Is my big As__ going to fall through? Has anyone had issues with dinette framework. I've had one weld break while repairing and replacing a misaligned drawer guide.

RV Build Quality? Your thoughts?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Has anyone had issues with dinette framework. I've had one weld break while repairing and replacing a misaligned drawer guide.
not the dinette frame but the bed frame, ... I had a weld break on the bed frame, contacted FR and got their approval to use a local welding shop for warranty repair and to also beef-up all the other joints on the frame to prevent this from happening again, ..... when the price quote was over $600 just for the welding job, and I would still have to do the removal, deliver to the shop, and then reinstall afterwards, w/FR's approval I decided to do the repair myself, .... at Lowe's I found mending plates, angle pieces and a box of screws and did the repair work in a way that I believe to be equal to or better than the welder would have done, ..... on the broken weld I added an angle piece and then reinforced all joints with mending plates on top and bottom, ....although aggravating as it is for you to have to do it, your work can be done with much less effort than required to remove the bed frame, do the work and then re-install it, .... then you will know that it's safe to use without worrying about it breaking again, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	126046   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0067.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	126047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0069.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	126048  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
not the dinette frame but the bed frame, ... I had a weld break on the bed frame, contacted FR and got their approval to use a local welding shop for warranty repair and to also beef-up all the other joints on the frame to prevent this from happening again, ..... when the price quote was over $600 just for the welding job, and I would still have to do the removal, deliver to the shop, and then reinstall afterwards, w/FR's approval I decided to do the repair myself, .... at Lowe's I found mending plates, angle pieces and a box of screws and did the repair work in a way that I believe to be equal to or better than the welder would have done, ..... on the broken weld I added an angle piece and then reinforced all joints with mending plates on top and bottom, ....although aggravating as it is for you to have to do it, your work can be done with much less effort than required to remove the bed frame, do the work and then re-install it, .... then you will know that it's safe to use without worrying about it breaking again, ....
Great work and idea. Thanks. I considered welding in place but I'd probably blow something up. I don't think I can get the assembly out but maybe some angle braces on the opposite side of the weld (where it should be welded). thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Your thoughts appreciated, see the short video clip below of my concern. Should I worry about this? Is my big As__ going to fall through? Has anyone had issues with dinette framework. I've had one weld break while repairing and replacing a misaligned drawer guide.

Sadly, it would cost maybe a grand total of 15 extra hours annually to hit both sides at the same time on dinettes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
I don't think I can get the assembly out but maybe some angle braces on the opposite side of the weld (where it should be welded). thanks.
yes, I believe you should be able to do that repair w/out removing the frame, ...... oh, the joy of a TT, there's always something that needs modding or fixing, .... but ain't it fun .......

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Angry

Quote:

Yes, everything about the construction of these vehicles is based on how fast they can come off the production line. Even a second weld on as many joints as there are in the unit would add up to....maybe five minutes. That might equal one less unit per day. Unfortunately, it all has to do with the bottom line.

I suspect that stub of wood is to provide material for the screw holding the draw rail to grab.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

I wonder if there is any RV maker that says? "We are going to give you a well made product, we'll charge you a little more but you are going to get your dinette welded properly"
Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Looking at the welds in the video you can tell that the welds didn't even penetrate the aluminum tubing like it should.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Looking at the welds in the video you can tell that the welds didn't even penetrate the aluminum tubing like it should.
My thoughts also wildcatter. Don't think they were done by human hands doing the welding, more robotic and no one paying any attention. That's why Honda motorcycles had so much trouble when they originated the 1800 Goldwings with aluminum frames, the welds were way too hot and undercut the base metal severely.
Wood inside the alum tubing is just for the screw to have something to bite into.
Beef everything up with angle braces, screws and or pop rivets. Don't try to weld in place as alum needs and gets very hot (tig weld properly), transmits heat quite a distance and something will most likely start to blaze.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

My dinette frame in my 2306 is a total fail. Problems with Murphy bed frame too. FR doesn't care. My dealer either.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:09 AM   #11

Although I didn't tow with a full tank when the frame bent, my manual doesn't say I can't tow with water. Here's what the manual says.

How To Weigh Your Recreational Vehicle
• With full fuel tanks and a typical passenger load,
weigh the tow vehicle separate from the trailer.
• Before weighing the trailer, fill the propane tanks. If
you plan to travel with fresh water onboard, the
fresh water tank should also be filled to the level you
intend to carry when traveling.

Tags
frame, upgrade