Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

SimpliSafe Install

I just finished installing a SimpliSafe alarm system in our 22FBS/2205S and wanted to post a short description if anyone else is interested in doing something similar.

The biggest issue with installing a security system is the question of powering the base station with no shore power. In our case, the SimpliSafe system comes with a household, 110v power plug. But, if you look closely at the actual plug, you will see that the base station actually requires 6.5V DC.

In order to drop the standard 12V to 6.5 volts, I used a DC Buck Converter purchased from Amazon for $14.

This is powered by a small sealed battery that is charged by the Aux output of the solar controller. All of this is tucked away nicely in the cabinet under the fireplace. I didn't even have to drill any holes to run the wires since the controller is directly above this area!

The average draw on the battery is only .20A @ 6.5V, so it should last 5 days with absolutely no sun before the internal base station batteries kick in.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cheers!
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

What are you doing for an internet connection?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

Nothing. The Simplisafe system has its own cellular connection.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
Nothing. The Simplisafe system has its own cellular connection.
I can see a monitored alarm for a fixed location but for one who moves around how does the monitoring station know which 911 dispatch center to notify if it receives notice of break-in or fire?

Do you have to "re-register" at each new address. Also, what about campgrounds with no address like when boondocking, and of course assuming they even have cell service?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #5

Very cool. When I look at their site I see you can spec different sensors but I didn’t see GPS, although the cellular portion may have it. If they do it could be used to help recovery if the rig is stollen, that could give a discount on insurance.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I can see a monitored alarm for a fixed location but for one who moves around how does the monitoring station know which 911 dispatch center to notify if it receives notice of break-in or fire?

Do you have to "re-register" at each new address. Also, what about campgrounds with no address like when boondocking, and of course assuming they even have cell service?
We mainly got it for when we have her at the storage yard. We also placed a "do not dispatch" order on our account. So, if there is an issue, they call us and we will let them know if it's okay to call the PD.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Very cool. When I look at their site I see you can spec different sensors but I didn’t see GPS, although the cellular portion may have it. If they do it could be used to help recovery if the rig is stollen, that could give a discount on insurance.
I don't think they have that type of capability. We mainly got it for peace of mind while it's at the storage yard.

If you are looking to track a stolen vehicle, I might suggest this: https://gpsandtrack.com/trailer-track-gps/

We use them at work and they perform very well!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #8

Thanks!

CivEngPE,
Thanks very much for your post. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ll be trying to do a similar SimpliSafe install on our new ePro 19FBS (to be delivered in June we hope). I’m not an engineer but understand basic wiring, ac/dc, etc.
Working backwards, can you confirm:
1. SimpliSafe base station power input from 6v output on buck transformer
2. 12v buck transformer input connected into duracell 12v battery, can you tell me battery specs?
3. 12v Duracell connected to solar auxiliary output, can you describe where I should look for this, I hope mine has an aux output.
4. Do you need to keep trailer battery power disconnect switch on for this to work?
5. Could I also connect a SimpliCam the same way? The ac adapter on the simplicam says output is 5v 1.5a (I’m guessing that power draw would only be when the camera senses motion and starts and not a continuous power draw)
Thanks
Old Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

Responses in-line below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Swede View Post
CivEngPE,
Thanks very much for your post. Exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ll be trying to do a similar SimpliSafe install on our new ePro 19FBS (to be delivered in June we hope). I’m not an engineer but understand basic wiring, ac/dc, etc.
Working backwards, can you confirm:
1. SimpliSafe base station power input from 6v output on buck transformer
Correct

2. 12v buck transformer input connected into duracell 12v battery, can you tell me battery specs?
Not quite sure. It's just a gel cell battery I picked up at batteries plus bulbs.

3. 12v Duracell connected to solar auxiliary output, can you describe where I should look for this, I hope mine has an aux output.
If you have the GoPower solar package, the 30A solar charge controller has an aux charge output. It will charge another battery other than the house battery. It was super simple for me since there is small cabinet right below my controller.

4. Do you need to keep trailer battery power disconnect switch on for this to work? Nope!
5. Could I also connect a SimpliCam the same way? The ac adapter on the simplicam says output is 5v 1.5a (I’m guessing that power draw would only be when the camera senses motion and starts and not a continuous power draw)
Probably, but I would opt for a bigger battery if you do this. Also, you will need two buck converters to make this work. There are several out there specifically designed to step down to 5v that might be a better option for that connection.
Thanks
Old 05-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #10
Chief tinkerer

We installed a Simplisafe system for peace of mind, after we were broken into at the storage yard. Put sensors on the outside compartment doors and a motion detector inside. We found this listed on another site as a match for providing 12v power. Fused connection to coach batteries and 100 watts of solar has kept it happy for 4 years so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote