Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

Sirius Satellite Radio Antenna Mod

Hello Out There!

This is my first mod that I've documented on my Wildwood T23BHLE, and was so pleased with the results I had to start a thread with the details.

We don't have a TV in our TT, but we do frequently use our Sirius Satellite Radio. I would stick the boom box under the awning and hope it would get a clear signal, etc etc... Well my antenna $*!#-the-bed and I was forced to start hunting for another antenna. Worried that the new one would suffer the same demise I thought about mounting a home antenna to the top of the TT to get a signal and not have to worry about aiming. I came up with the idea of using the existing Winegard antenna mast to attach the home antenna. Did some research and some people attach WiFi antenna without much hassle, so I figured I would give it a try.

I started by taking a better look at the Winegard to see how exactly I would mount it, and found that everything is plastic. No worries, as is the Satellite antenna. I had a look at where the Winegard mounts to the mast, and found a factory hole that looked like a good spot to try... Success! Found a bolt, lock-nut, and washers. BAM! Done.

Mounted antenna back on the mast and plugged the RG-6 cable into the Satellite radio antenna. Went inside the TT and removed the Winegard booster from the wall and disconnected the RG-6 cables. Plugged in the RG-6 to SMB cable supplied with the Satellite antenna, and BOOM! Works like a charm. I get full satellite reception with 3 bars of terrestrial reception with the mast down, and with the mast up I get full satellite and 7 bars of terrestrial reception.

Next step will be to disable the Winegard booster, but keep the cigarette lighter plug working, and to add a splitter at the outside cable plug to route a cable to the awning side of the TT with a cigarette lighter plug for power when not plugged in.

Fun fun!

Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna01.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	53513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna02.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	53514   Click image for larger version