Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #1

Sleep number mattress

The wife and I recently purchased a Sleep Number R5 model queen dual air mattress from Camping World for our 2016 Cedar Creek Cottage RV.
The mattress is not working for us.

We purchased the mattress based on the illustration on the Camping World's website for mattress. The illustration for the R5 mattress on the website shows the mattress has many layers including a divider foam piece/? between the two air mattress. I believed the illustration example to be true.

Look on the Sleeping World company website and view mattress illustrations
for the P5 model dual air mattress. I think that is where Camping Worlds illustration came from.

Let me say, the R5 mattress I received from Camping World is not what is advertised on their website. Do the research before you consider Camping Worlds R5 model. The R5 does not have as many layers, does not have a base, and does not have a divider between the mattress.

Also, after having a sleep number dual air Sleep Number king mattress at home, a queen dual air is too small for us, and we are not large people. With the king, different air settings for each side works. With a queen size mattress, dual air settings places the two sleeping people too close to each other. The sleeper on the harder size mattress tends to fall over onto the softer mattress. Sleep number says to call them if you experience such a feeling. PAY ATTENTION TO THAT "WARNING".

Trying to work out these issues with Camping World.

However, in the meantime, I called Sleep Number direct and just spent 50 minutes on the phone (42 minutes on hold) and never did get to the final department that was to help me.

2017 Chevy Silverado High Country
gmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

update from Sleep Number

would you believe Sleep Number emailed us to ask how they performed to take care of our questions and any problem ?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

This is funny....I am currently on hold with sleep number trying to get a resolution for a failed remote controller.
That being said, my wife and I love their products and have purchased 3 of their bed systems in the last 10 years.
Currently we are using the P5 Queen mattress in our 340RK and love it.
I have never heard of an R5 model, but I am not current with the offerings for RV's.

Maybe going back to camping world might be your best solution.
Good luck.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

alan

good look on hold with sleep number

I should have purchased the P5 model mattress for sure.

We have had a Sleep Number King for about 6 years or so.
Like it very well.

The R5 model Sleep Number is nothing like our Sleep Number mattress at home.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

We have a full and it has the divider. We went with the full due to our Hemi bed room not being a slide and having the dresser at the foot of the bed limited us to a 75" mattress. Would have preferred a 74" but don't come in that size. The mattress was just to hard even when you adjusted the numbers. We ended up adding a 3" Gel Foam from COSTCO and made all the difference. We were ready to throw the Sleep Number away, now we love it. The full doesn't come with added layer of foam over the tow air cells. We purchased directly from a Sleep number dealer.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the gel foam info.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

After 4 calls where their system was too busy to accept my call, I was finally able to get the chance to be put on hold until the next available customer assistant was available. 45 minutes later, I am talking to a live person.
Talk about poor customer service.
My problem was resolved at no cost to me. I will be getting a new pump with controller and a free sleep number pillow for my troubles. Good customer service.

It seems to be hit or miss with these folks, but we do like their beds so we are at their mercy when something goes wrong.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdas88 View Post
After 4 calls where their system was too busy to accept my call, I was finally able to get the chance to be put on hold until the next available customer assistant was available. 45 minutes later, I am talking to a live person.
Talk about poor customer service.
My problem was resolved at no cost to me. I will be getting a new pump with controller and a free sleep number pillow for my troubles. Good customer service.

It seems to be hit or miss with these folks, but we do like their beds so we are at their mercy when something goes wrong.
Customer service.......? there is no customer service to speak of.

A free pillow though....

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

I have had a Sleep Number King here at home for a long time with no issues what so ever, Scotty I cant believe yours is still too hard at a very low setting if you turn it down all the way there is no air left in it.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I have had a Sleep Number King here at home for a long time with no issues what so ever, Scotty I cant believe yours is still too hard at a very low setting if you turn it down all the way there is no air left in it.
I think it's more of the mattress cover itself. I should have said it's Not to firm, just feels hard on the body. With the gel foam, same number setting, it's ten times softer, if that make sense.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Update

Sleep number company phoned me at home to offer a solution to my "rolling" into the middle of the mattress. They are sending a pad (at no cost to me) to place in the center and under the mattress to raise the center of the mattress. We'll see if it works