Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Slide Stablizers?

I've seen posting on this issue before and have a question regarding it. I've seen that if you use a stablizer on your unit's slide and some kind of damage occurrs that the warranty is void. This I can understand, but then why do the RV stores and RV dealership carry this product and why are no warning posted about it???? I've looked through my warranty paper work and unless I'm missing it I haven't seen anything saying not to use them to help in supporting the slide and stablizing the RV. Any input is welcome.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I've seen posting on this issue before and have a question regarding it. I've seen that if you use a stablizer on your unit's slide and some kind of damage occurrs that the warranty is void. This I can understand, but then why do the RV stores and RV dealership carry this product and why are no warning posted about it???? I've looked through my warranty paper work and unless I'm missing it I haven't seen anything saying not to use them to help in supporting the slide and stablizing the RV. Any input is welcome.
I guess you can do what you want with them. Don't know how FR would know if you used them or not unless there were tattletale marks left on the slideout. If I were going to use them, I would use a block of wood between the stabilizer and where ever you placed it on the slideout. We've had them on the last 3 trailers and never needed them.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

I myself will be purchasing 2 slide stabilizers for my VIBE 6504. The slide out bunks extend quite far and when both bunks are occupied the trailer wobbles a bit when the occupants move during the night. My dealership suggested that stabilizers are okay for short haul trips (ie: not recommended at a seasonal site where the unit may be unoccupied for long periods of time). She suggested that the issue is that if the main trailer weight settles....over time it could put undue stress on the slide. I feel it is more an issue of being dilligent to check if the stabilizers require any adjustment on a daily basis and totally removing them if leaving a seasonal site for a period of time. I can understand how it may void the warranty in that if one is not dilligent in checking the support of the slide vs the main trailer, damage can occcur.
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question, I think that those devices were used more when slides were fairly new to the industry. At least that's my best guess. Now that the slideout mechanism is better and stronger, they are no longer needed.

I might consider it if I was parked permanently on blocks but see it as just a waste of money and storage space to carry one now.

Think of what could happen if your tires went flat on that side or a jack failed? That extra weight would be pushing up on the slideout. Small chance of happening but not good if it did.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
To answer your question, I think that those devices were used more when slides were fairly new to the industry. At least that's my best guess. Now that the slideout mechanism is better and stronger, they are no longer needed.

I might consider it if I was parked permanently on blocks but see it as just a waste of money and storage space to carry one now.

Think of what could happen if your tires went flat on that side or a jack failed? That extra weight would be pushing up on the slideout. Small chance of happening but not good if it did.
I agree, we don't use them, but we also have a stab jack in front of the axles which would and did hold when we had a tire go down. Had unscrewed the monitors and then had the trailer washed and waxed and when the guy was cleaning the wheels, inadvertently screwed one monitor in a little which caused it to leak over 2 days. Neighbor came over and ask if we knew we had a flat. Sure enough, flat! Had to get the compressor out an re-inflate. Now, I just take the monitors off if parked over 1 night.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

I guess the way I'm looking at it is, if you have your unit leveled and set then the extra support these provide will help reduce sway on the unit. after all I'm not talking about using these to level the unit just to help brace it.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I hear ya.

Eliminating the movement would be the best reason I have heard these can be usefull for. Maybe some others on the forum who actually use slide stabilizers can chime in with their experience.

I'm looking at JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers to eliminate the movement but have no idea if these can be used on a Class C.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote