Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The Micro Air install kit does not have wire nuts. The online install directions specifically say that household wire nuts and auto terminals are not to be used and are insufficient for current or won't hold up to vibrations.

On the YouTube install videos, the SoftStartRV install kit that comes with it did have plain 'ole wire nuts to splice the wires together, which I'm not comfortable using for the very reasons you've stated above. I think their newer install kits no longer include them.

However, I plan to use the Wago connectors which are superior to any type of standard wire nut or crimp style wire nut. Once a wire is inserted into it, the connector levers lock the wires in place. These connectors are made for household or automotive applications so I think these'll do the job well.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #42
Trailer Park Supervisor

I paid the piper and paid the 10 extra bucks to MicroAir for their 'install kit'. I only have wire nuts and automotive splices and terminals at home, I figured if I just pieced out a kit myself, I would probably end up spending over 10 bucks and then have tons of leftover stuff I'll never use again. Thanks to TitanMike for that 'pro tip'!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #43
NXR

Quote:
As of Monday when the Micro Air Soft Start arrives, yup! Will be absolutely and completely kitted out! I'll never need anything else for the RV!!! I have it ALL!! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Cool. So time to sell your 2019 and buy a new 2022 then.

I actually ran into a Georgetown owner who said he trades up every three years. He's close enough to new that not much has failed and the resale price is still acceptable. I think you should adopt that philosophy.

Ray
Old 07-10-2021, 08:54 AM   #44
NXR

I read a LOT of forum posts and reviews on these devices before purchasing and one thing stood out:

No one was unhappy with the performance of what they bought regardless of which product it was.

I think this point is important and all of the other comparisons are just minor details. They both seem to do what they claim to do.

There were a few people who were unhappy because their current generator proved to have insufficient capacity, though. It seems both Micro-Air an SoftStartRV test with the small Honda and it apparently has more power than other similarly-sized units.

Ray
Old 07-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #45
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Cool. So time to sell your 2019 and buy a new 2022 then.

I actually ran into a Georgetown owner who said he trades up every three years. He's close enough to new that not much has failed and the resale price is still acceptable. I think you should adopt that philosophy.

Ray
Maybe when wife retires if we are still enjoying this, I'll move up to five feet longer and a ramp I can load a golf cart in it, like a mini-toy hauler. That's 3.5 years away though. Now that I have everything just the way I want it and bugs worked out, I hate idea of getting a new one. MicroAir is out for delivery! They mailed it out yesterday. And support answered an email within a half hour, on a Saturday! Wanted to know if my home 20 amp circuit would be good to go through 'learning cycle'. They said no problem, just turn everything else off during learning process, and use my heavy RV cable.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Maybe when wife retires if we are still enjoying this, I'll move up to five feet longer and a ramp I can load a golf cart in it, like a mini-toy hauler. That's 3.5 years away though. Now that I have everything just the way I want it and bugs worked out, I hate idea of getting a new one. MicroAir is out for delivery! They mailed it out yesterday. And support answered an email within a half hour, on a Saturday! Wanted to know if my home 20 amp circuit would be good to go through 'learning cycle'. They said no problem, just turn everything else off during learning process, and use my heavy RV cable.

Uh Oh!.....looks like its "Yippie-Kai-Yay, MF!!!" for someone today
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #47
NXR

Quote:
Wanted to know if my home 20 amp circuit would be good to go through 'learning cycle'. They said no problem, just turn everything else off during learning process, and use my heavy RV cable.
Remember that by "turn off" you should go to the RV breaker panel and turn everything off except the A/C, including the converter. Just be sure your batteries are topped off before you start.

You can turn the converter breaker back on to re-top off the batteries while you're in the 5-minute waiting period between learning cycles.

Ray
Old 07-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks for tips. Batts are at 100% now just from OEM solar. Install will be tomorrow afternoon, before beastly heat comes back again this week.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #49

Quote:
I paid the piper and paid the 10 extra bucks to MicroAir for their 'install kit'. I only have wire nuts and automotive splices and terminals at home, I figured if I just pieced out a kit myself, I would probably end up spending over 10 bucks and then have tons of leftover stuff I'll never use again. Thanks to TitanMike for that 'pro tip'!

Yea, we got ours with the install kit. Was a piece of cake to install, zip tied all the wires neatly, and I zip tied the Easy Start in a horizontal location, similar to how they recommended. The install instructions were well written.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:27 PM   #50

Soft Start

Last month, we installed Softstart in our two Coleman AC's. Both 15k on a newer DP. My kids also bought two and installed theirs on two Coleman AC's on their 2013 Toyhauler. Install was fairly straight forward and I was beyond impressed with customer service. Install differs, depending on your model of AC. The website offers an easy to follow guide on locating your AC, then you just follow the directions for your unit. We were on my RV on a Saturday morning and discovered that my Coleman AC's were new enough and not listed, hence I did not have the proper wiring instructions. I emailed and called on the off chance I would get someone and ended up speaking with the owner within hours. Unbelievable customer service and within a day, he had his engineer create the diagram and instructions necessary to complete my install. All over the weekend. He said the greatest challenge is keeping up with slight changes from AC manufacturers. They work as promised and the initial thump and power draining sound you hear with AC's kicking on his gone.. My initial decision was based on some on-line reviews I read, as well as watching video's posted by Softstart - enough to sell me.
Mustang79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #51
Trailer Park Supervisor

An emailed question to MicroAir on Saturday morning about whether it was better to do learning cycle on my home 20 amp circuit or wait till I get to 30 amp circuit, was answered in less than a half hour. On a Saturday. Home circuit was fine, but recommended using RV power cable, which I did. Compared to most customer service these days, I'd give them 5 stars ++++++! Glad to hear Softstart also provides good service.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
After looking into improving my 5'er AC's with the RV Airflow System for increasing cooling efficiency, I also want to install a soft start system. Found several YouTube videos on installing SoftstartRV and seems to be a rather quick and straightforward upgrade. I'm leaning towards this system, but am open to installing other brand recommendations.

On my initial searches, I was surprised to find not very many other brand alternatives out there for this product. For those that have them on their rigs, which one have you installed, and what were the positive and negative selling points that made you choose it?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!
I installed the soft start prior to a 6,800 mi trip late this spring. It worked great at home which is about 100 ft elevation with my Yamaha 2000 inverter. First time I wanted to use it we were at 4000 ft elevation near Las Cruses NM The generator couldn't handle the thin air. The next time we needed it in Nashville it worked great. Elevation was below 1000 ft. The last time we needed the AC was in Needles CA. (Don't stop here unless you have too) it was 108 degrees out and a semi hit a power pole, Elevation was less than 500 ft but the little Genny couldn't handle the heat. Fortunately the power came back on! Summary just get a 3500 watt + generator and figure out were to mount it so you don't have to move it.
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #53

I JUST installed the Microaire Easy Start 364 in my 2511WS Rockwood

I chose the Microaire as I PERCEIVED it is a more sophisticated unit. My rationale was that the Microaire does 5 starts and "learns" and the SoftStart does not...so it seems like a "dumb" unit with fixed presets. A couple of points:

I strongly recommend the $13 install kit from Hutch industries, includes Wago connectors.

First time I've worked with them, they are brilliant. I'm adding a fan to my fridge which taps off the trailer 12V (from the light fixture) and I ordered an assortment of Wago's. They are way more compact and easy to use compared to "scotch-lock" type taps. You use a 3 way Wago, cut a wire and strip and insert the two ends one at a time closing their levers, then you add the tap closing it's lever, really nice device.

To the question: Can the Microaire "learn" on a 25 amp circuit..." , the way I read the manual it doesn't recommend that. I had to slave my gensets (Honda 2200i) and use the 30 amp plug to do my five starts. If you watch the ammeter on the combiner unit; you can actually WATCH it learn. On the first start it spiked up to 30A, (I'm sure it was momentarily over that), but on subsequent starts, the spike went down to 28 and then about 23. Running amperage is about 12 or 13A. Note that this is an analog meter so the spike readings are likely not accurate but higher than that.

After i did that, the unit ran and started just fine off of one generator. I can run the AC, and my icemaker, the AC and my toaster oven, and the AC and DW's blow dryer at the camp on 30A which used to blow. At home, I can run the AC and Fridge off of a drop cord on a 20A circuit with a 20 to 30A adapter while we're loading out. Boy is that nice.

The Microaire will allow almost any single unit to be run off a 2000W genset. It will likely allow a 50A trailer to run both AC's off a 30A circuit. It was rock solid the last two weeks, our first trip with it.

That's my experience and opinions.
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #54

I learned about capacitors at an early age. My older brother was a ham radio operator, back when you could actually build a radio from scratch. That meant lots of parts laying around. My brother, being a typical older brother, left charged capacitors around the house for fun, at least until my mother happened to short one out.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMoor View Post
I did a bit of research months ago and I only found the SoftStart from MicroAir and the EasyStart. I chose SoftStart, but I don't really remember why, I don't think there was a huge difference between the two. However, I'm impressed with the product and the company. It was pretty easy to install. I e-mailed MicroAir on the 4th of July and they replied within a few hours with an intelligible and complete answer.

Micro-air makes the Easy Start.
Soft start is made bu Soft start. I think both are baout the same as far as installation.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #56
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Al View Post
I installed the soft start prior to a 6,800 mi trip late this spring. It worked great at home which is about 100 ft elevation with my Yamaha 2000 inverter. First time I wanted to use it we were at 4000 ft elevation near Las Cruses NM The generator couldn't handle the thin air. The next time we needed it in Nashville it worked great. Elevation was below 1000 ft. The last time we needed the AC was in Needles CA. (Don't stop here unless you have too) it was 108 degrees out and a semi hit a power pole, Elevation was less than 500 ft but the little Genny couldn't handle the heat. Fortunately the power came back on! Summary just get a 3500 watt + generator and figure out were to mount it so you don't have to move it.
Or buy the 2nd small generator and run in parallel. I'm not busting a nut lifting a 3500W generator into the truck. Really no way to mount a generator in/on my camper. Good report on your experiences. I am more familiar now with the limitations of generators due to elevation and hot weather use than ever before. I never knew about the additional continuous power draw in hot conditions from the A/C until recently researching my AC power specs and your experience.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #57
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W indy View Post
I chose the Microaire as I PERCEIVED it is a more sophisticated unit. My rationale was that the Microaire does 5 starts and "learns" and the SoftStart does not...so it seems like a "dumb" unit with fixed presets. A couple of points:

I strongly recommend the $13 install kit from Hutch industries, includes Wago connectors.

First time I've worked with them, they are brilliant. I'm adding a fan to my fridge which taps off the trailer 12V (from the light fixture) and I ordered an assortment of Wago's. They are way more compact and easy to use compared to "scotch-lock" type taps. You use a 3 way Wago, cut a wire and strip and insert the two ends one at a time closing their levers, then you add the tap closing it's lever, really nice device.

To the question: Can the Microaire "learn" on a 25 amp circuit..." , the way I read the manual it doesn't recommend that. I had to slave my gensets (Honda 2200i) and use the 30 amp plug to do my five starts. If you watch the ammeter on the combiner unit; you can actually WATCH it learn. On the first start it spiked up to 30A, (I'm sure it was momentarily over that), but on subsequent starts, the spike went down to 28 and then about 23. Running amperage is about 12 or 13A. Note that this is an analog meter so the spike readings are likely not accurate but higher than that.

After i did that, the unit ran and started just fine off of one generator. I can run the AC, and my icemaker, the AC and my toaster oven, and the AC and DW's blow dryer at the camp on 30A which used to blow. At home, I can run the AC and Fridge off of a drop cord on a 20A circuit with a 20 to 30A adapter while we're loading out. Boy is that nice.

The Microaire will allow almost any single unit to be run off a 2000W genset. It will likely allow a 50A trailer to run both AC's off a 30A circuit. It was rock solid the last two weeks, our first trip with it.

That's my experience and opinions.
I guess you missed my post a couple posts before yours. Not only would a 25 amp circuit be more than enough, but my 20 amp circuit worked fine. They recommended NOT using a generator though.

As far as the install kit, I think I used all of 3 or 4 of the many connectors provided, all simple male and female spade connectors, at least on the Coleman Mach 8. I took advantage of the pre-terminated 90 angle spade connectors on two of the wires coming out of the unit as well.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #58

Soft Start

So I bought the Soft Start off of Amazon for $300 or so Dollars.. Called the Tech Direct and he called me back to confirm my wiring. I was able to run my 15,000 BTU AC with one Honda 2000 watt generator for 20 minutes. My AC requires 3800watts to Start and 1800 to run after initial start-up. So, this tells me that this Soft Start really works. I'm now running a 4200 watt Westinghouse and I can I had zero problems with the Soft Start. I would recommend it because it saves the Hammering of your compressor when it turns off and on, easy to install, and super quiet AC start ups.

Found several YouTube videos on installing SoftstartRV and seems to be a rather quick and straightforward upgrade. I'm leaning towards this system, but am open to installing other brand recommendations.

On my initial searches, I was surprised to find not very many other brand alternatives out there for this product. For those that have them on their rigs, which one have you installed, and what were the positive and negative selling points that made you choose it?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations![/QUOTE]
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 PM   #59

On your RV Airflow. Make sure they have one that fits your trailer.. Look in depth on their website. I have a 2020 Rockwood 5vr. It did not fit.
They were really great on the return.
They told me they are working on a kit that fits. It should be ready in a couple of months.
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #60

Have you considered a Hard Start Capacitor? It increases the starting torque and runs $15-$20. I did this in my last 2 campers and the a/c will start on a 20 amp circuit.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade