RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #21

As was mentioned, the SoftStart is much more than a new capacitor.
If you want to talk to one of their technical folks, here is his information:
Danny Rahner
915-235-6056
He can expand on the benefits and any detriments, or any other questions.
Good luck.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #22

I installed a SoftStartRV unit on my 15k ac unit and am able to run it off a Westinghouse iGen2200 in Phoenix. But I found out this summer that at Panguitch, UT I was not able to run the ac, I assume, because of elevation. So it depends on circumstances, I guess. I also ran our ac off a normal home outlet in WA.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
We used the microaire 364 in our TT for several years. We never ran off generator, but lots of folks say this will allow operation from a smaller generator. They claim you can run two ACs off a 30 amp cord if both have the microair.

microair.net

I ha soft start on my coleman 15000btu. Used it alot last summer on a 110 outlet at home no problem whatsoever. Love mine, had a tech for free call me and help me wire it up also. No charge from them. Great customer support.
Hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 AM   #24
Usually Confused Member

Spring and late fall camping where I go usually doesn’t require air conditioning so I prefer to run the single Honda 2000. MicroAir installed so the 15k ac starts easy and runs just fine. However, I keep the ac running on one generator to a minimum because of the noise. Surprisingly, running the ac on paralleled Honda 2000s results in a much quieter operation.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #25
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Surprisingly, running the ac on paralleled Honda 2000s results in a much quieter operation.
"Quieter" from a generator noise perspective or from an air conditioner noise perspective?

I'm guessing generator because neither generator would have to throttle up as much in a parallel configuration as compared to how much a single generator would need to throttle up.

But some people have reported their A/C units also ran quieter with a soft start kit so I figured I'd ask.

Ray
Old 02-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #26
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
"Quieter" from a generator noise perspective or from an air conditioner noise perspective?

I'm guessing generator because neither generator would have to throttle up as much in a parallel configuration as compared to how much a single generator would need to throttle up.

But some people have reported their A/C units also ran quieter with a soft start kit so I figured I'd ask.

Ray
Ray,

We use a Honda EU2200i and the Micro-Air 364 on our 15K BTU Coleman Mach 15. Based on our experience:
  1. Paralleled 2200i generators run quieter that a single 2200i since the paralleled wattage is around 3600W (which easily handles the compressor cycling). Our 2200i will also handle the compressor cycling, but the genny has to run near it's max RPM to do so; thus, it's noisier.
  2. Compared to running the A/C before the Micro-Air installation, we now do not feel the "bang and shake" of the compressor cycling on. Obviously, the ramping-up of the compressor accounts for this.
HTH

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #27
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
Generator.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #28

I installed micro air soft starts on my 15k and 13.5k a/c's and run a residential fridge all with no problems on 30a.
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #29

I installed an easy start on mine and it now starts and runs just fine on my Honda 2000.
Smokewagonokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:34 PM   #30

The hard start cap works. I'm able to run my 135000 BTU Dometic AC with my 2300W peak inverter generator without overload on startup. No doubt the more expensive soft start setups out there lighten the start-up load somewhat better but this was effective enough to keep my generator from overloading. It's easy to install and fits inside the housing with the other starter capacitor. Supco SPP6 https://tinyurl.com/jrnn676k
dmayo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #31

I did exactly that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normutah View Post
Have a '19 Rockwood 2104s with single AC unit. Would my Honda 2000i run the single AC if I installed either of the softstart systems referenced in this thread?
I have a Honda 2000i generator and installed the Microair product on my 23ft 2006 FR Salem myself. Easy to install following instructions. My 2000i nearly effortlessy handles the A/C cycling. Good product. Use that code others mentioned... get $25.00 off.
Cheers
MGMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #32

All of the solutions mentioned ultimately have the same goal of evening out, over time, the energy needed to start the compressor motor and get it up to speed so the kinetic energy of the rotating parts of the motor and compressor takes over to help spread out the energy required. Alternating current, in this case, single-phase AC, pulsates. Think of the larger initial energy required to spin a playground merry-go-round vs. what it takes to get it going. You can apply single widely spaced out pulls using large amounts of energy or apply more rapidly spaced pulls using less energy. Both achieving the same goal but the latter is less stressful on you, the energy source. It still requires the same amount of energy just more evenly spaced out. Of course, once it's rotating you need only apply enough energy needed to keep it at the desired rate. Sparing the technical details this is what these circuits do, however complicated or simple the design, that is spreading out over time the energy required to get the compressor turning at the needed rate. Electrically speaking, the single-phase AC which pulsates 60 times a second is electrically manipulated during the startup to add more pulses per second from the same energy source but using smaller amounts per pulse using less current at any given one point in time. Again, spreading out the energy needed over time. I've done my "teacher's" best to explain this in laymen's terms. There's a lot of details involved but it's really just that simple, no magic, just physics.
dmayo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:22 AM   #33

Quote:
We used the microaire 364 in our TT for several years. We never ran off generator, but lots of folks say this will allow operation from a smaller generator. They claim you can run two ACs off a 30 amp cord if both have the microair.

microair.net
"They say" is correct. Have 15K and 13K on roof (32 ft Coachmen Liberty Express). Have micro-air on both and both run fine on Predator 3500. Really useful during hot hurricane summers with no shore power at home. That's why our nickname for our camper is "Hotel Flo."
Nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #34

I have an 11K BTU A/C and a Yamaha 2400 inverter generator. Without the Micro Air when the A/C started the voltage went way down for several seconds until the compressor got going. This was with the breaker for the converter shut off so just powering the A/C.

Installed the MicroAir and now I don't bother shutting down the converter and the A/C starts and runs just fine.
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #35

I installed the Micro-Air in my TT. The A/C will now start easily with the generator a 2K in economy mode from an idle with no issue. It previously would overload the gen. even set at full throttle. The A/C runs much quieter as well. Call them and talk to Kevin I think it was, very informative.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spragueman View Post
Has anyone ever used the softstart product for their RV AC?
snip>
We are on a 20 circuit and not able to use our AC. snip>
Anyone use it when power supply is an issue
Thanks from the snowy north.
Ummm I think the OPs original question was whether anyone was using a soft start to run their AC off a 20amp pedestal in the CG. My experience is that my AC will run off a 15/20amp service with nothing else turned on but the elders on these forums advise against it as it will shorten the service life of your AC unit.

This thread seems to have wandered off to a discussion on soft start/microaire "capacitors" and generators. Certainly a generator and a soft start would solve his problem.

greetings from Kitchener, Ontario Spragueman. Love Manitoulin Island. Enjoy your summer up there
flookk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
I've heard some reports that these reduce the efficiency of the A/C. Since I live in Texas, that would be an issue if that's true. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?
I believe it only impacts startup. After that, the run capacitor takes over. So it should have no impact on running efficiency.
Desert Boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #38

Quote:
I believe it only impacts startup. After that, the run capacitor takes over. So it should have no impact on running efficiency.
Well, that was my first impression, but on another thread or on a YouTube video I watched (I can't remember where it was) they were talking about reduced efficiency, so I was hoping for some real-world experience from someone who can comment on whether or not they noticed reduced cooling capacity once installed.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #39

I saw no reduction in cooling. My impression of the soft start is that it only reduces the starting current by ramping up. So, I think it would help a camp ground as well that might have low voltage. It would certainly be better for the A/C unit. There is another soft start out there that looks almost identical, but is no comparison to the Micro-Air. So I was told when researching a year ago. The nice thing is that it can be easily removed if you sell your RV and re-install in your new one.
Stevemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #40

I have a 15K btu A/C and a Ryobi 2200w generator. I added the Microair Easy Start 364 and it runs great. Granted you are not going to run more than that with the 2200w generator so as a long term solution I would not go that route but for short term solutions it works great.

Marty