Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

Solar Panel - 32BHOK

I am looking at installing a solar panel on my Sabre 32bhok. I was wondering if anyone had installed one on a trailer like this? Any information, schematics would be appreciated.

Thanks
bragg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #2

i think the standard plan works for all rv's...

1. install panels on the roof where you have the less chance of catching a shadow from other items (ie: away from vent converts and ac units)

2. run the power line down the fridge vent to the fridge. secure all lines on the roof.

3. install the solar monitoring unit in the wood panel above the fridge (most units have lots of room here)

4. continue the power line down behind the fridge through the outside access door and under the coach to the where you mount your mppt charge controller (near the house battery bank)

5. hook up to the batteries to chance across the entire bank.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #3

thanks Him, I just have a few questions not ever having installed a solar system before.

1. the system i bought has a monitoring unit/ charge controller that appears to be all in one. Should I just mount that in the trailer if possible?

2. Do i need to go direct to the battery or can i go to the back of the converter? Are there any negative effects to either?

If I run direct the battery do i take the underbelly cover off or is there a better way?

Thanks again

Rod
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Take The Road Less Travld

How well does a solar panels work? I'm assuming you are only trying to keep the battery charged?
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #5

Ive heard good things from others. The one I got is a 150w which seems to be a pretty good size. At this point i wont be running an inverter but i could expand if i want to.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bragg2000 View Post
thanks Him, I just have a few questions not ever having installed a solar system before.

1. the system i bought has a monitoring unit/ charge controller that appears to be all in one. Should I just mount that in the trailer if possible?

2. Do i need to go direct to the battery or can i go to the back of the converter? Are there any negative effects to either?

If I run direct the battery do i take the underbelly cover off or is there a better way?

Thanks again

Rod
1. yes, mount the monitor unit inside so you can make use of the display... makes no sense to have it somewhere difficult to read right? keeps the unit safe from weather as well inside imo...

2. you can do either. just make sure you keep positive to positive and negative to negative. otherwise you will short your converter. if it were me, i would connect directly to the battery. sometimes, the techs at the rv places hook up the smaller solar panels to the dc leads in the fridge since it's all connected. if you have larger panels or larger wattage system of panels, then definitely connect it straight to the battery. either way, make sure you have the correct wire size to carry the load efficiently and safely.

3. on how to get to the battery, that will be different for every make and model. under the belly is very common...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
32bhok, solar, solar panel, wire