Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

Solar Panel on my 2304KS

When I talk to my dealer about installing a solar panel on my Minilite he checked with Rockwood and they did not recommend installing solar on Minilites, the reason being there are no cross members on the roof. It's a solid 4 inch thick foam roof with 1/8 inch plywood on top and bottom for ceiling. So I figured out a way to install it with thru roof attachment. I ordered a panel support kit that can be used for glue down which I didn't want to do. It laid out so I could run a 1/4-20 thru the roof on the two upper end supports which ended up in my a/c vents and I used a backing plate with a 1/4-20 nylon insurt locknut, the two lower end supports I used a carriage bolt thru the roof and painted it almond the rest of the holes I used #12ss screws thru the 1/8" material. I ran the wiring as per pictures thru the 1x2 alum corner frame. Used a 140w Kyocera solar panel and a Genasun GV-10 mppt controller which is desighned for a 140w panel and it is also made in the good old USA. The system works great charges my 2 6volt batteries to 14.4v before it goes to float. My WFCO never goes above 13.6v on shore power or generator in fact I have checked the WFCO when the batteries are low and it never draws over a amp or two. If it puts out 55amps it should draw at least 5.5amps at 120v and it doesn't so basically it's like a trickle charger. I do mostly boondocking so it's been great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Mods 008.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	142498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Mods 009.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	142499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Mods 032.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	142500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Mods 001.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	142501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar support 001.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	142502  

Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	142508

No holes no support backing needed.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Attachment 142508

No holes no support backing needed.
I work in a industry where you have to fix and replace things.
Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Yup. Me too.
Heat gun will remove the tape.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
Summer2Go

What tape does that?!!
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Some roof types are perfect for thin panels. But, clearly there are pros and cons to either type... four 100W panels would weigh about 16# total, not including about that much in wiring... a pro, while some question how long they will hold up.

I would assume that the mini isn't a walk on roof. So, like you did... keeping it at the sidewall works great. If there's a roof, there's a way... even with conventional glass / aluminum framed panels. I've seen these mounts that you used and thought they were neat (sorry, the 60s lives on).

For the flexible panels... a person could double side tape them down, dicor them down or eternabond them down... probably velcro them down. It would cost way way more for the eternabond method, and I wouldn't be relying on velcro.

Not sure I would have bolted thru, but it sure as heck isn't going to blow off.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Summer2Go

The Roo as well as the Mini appears to have the same roof construction. I looked at my old brochure, they are the same construction, but show guys on the roof during assembly. I am a little chicken to get completely on my roof. I am thinking about climbing up on the front bunk with the tent colapsed to Velcro my pugs. Maybe that is the way to fasten my panels as well?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #8
Summer2Go

Werk, you drilled through the outside wall of your camper into a storage cabinet? I have a Roo 183 and will put the panels on the roof toward the front end, above the batteries. There is no fixture close to the panels to send the wires inside. There is a ceiling fan, but even if I could figure out how to get a wire in there, I would have to have the wires run inside on the ceiling and down the wall to get into a storage compartment. I think the best solution is what you did through the outside wall.

Tags
2304, solar, solar panel