Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Solar panels

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm asking it again. I'm looking at putting a solar panel on my evo 2550. Probably around a 140 watt I'm wondering what kind of panels you guys are using and where you get them. I will also need a charge controller I kind of like the blue sky solar boost but If there's one you guys have had good luck with I would like to know.
Thanks for the input in advance
dbt1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #2

Try Renogy. Prices are good and their customer service is second to none. Much help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600 Watts of solar panels.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	130167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2011.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	130168  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:20 AM   #3

I haven't done mine yet but members here really like the renogy. I research things to death. I haven't decided on a brand of panel but I really like the gopower charge controller. I will probably end up buying everything on Amazon cause I always buy everything on Amazon.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #4

If you like the the flush mount of the gopower charge controller then have a look at the Samlex. I use this controller, more charge profiles, temp compensation, flush mount,lots of data and also available on Amazon.
30 Amp 12V24V Samlex Solar Charge Controller | SCC-30AB
Very happy with it for the last 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	130179  
Old 02-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #5

Solar systems are just that, systems. They provide a consistent source of charge current to a house battery bank and are useful in keeping a bank close to a 100% SOC. However, the solar charge converter and panels are only a part of the solution. SOC measurement is virtually impossible using pure voltage measurement. Those four or 5 LEDs on a battery condition panel are pretty much useless beyond telling you that nothing or something is charging your bank.

If you are going to spend a significant amount of time running on batteries, I suggest starting with a good battery condition monitor. Something like a Trimetric or Victron. These units measure charge current coming in and out of the bank and display the calculated SOC at all times, unlike simple voltage monitoring, which is useless when batteries are charging or discharging or even after batteries have been charged or discharged in the last few hours.

In my opinion, the best solution available is the Trimetric monitor, coupled with a Bogart SC-2030 solar charge controller. The two units are from the same manufacturer and communicate continuously over a simpledata connection. After adding the 2030, the Trimetric will begin to show solar charge status, current and surplus current available for immediate use. The 2030 itself can be located wherever necessary for wiring simplicity. Finally, the 2030 gets is battery voltage data from the Trimetric, so that line losses during solar charge cycles are eliminated via this "remote sense."

Together they make not only a terrific solar solution, but an excellent 12 volt system monitor. Frankly, I fail to see why a good RV with a significant investment in 12 volt batteries, inverters, etc...doesn't come from the factory with one already installed.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

I will second or third Renogy. I have purchased a 100 watt suitcase kit from them to use with my RV and additional panels and bits and pieces for some home based projects. First rate service from them. I had one panel that did not put out as well as it should, they replaced it no questions asked.

I also agree with ScottBrowstein, if you are going heavy on the solar make sure you have a meter to know what it is doing. I happen to prefer the Victron over the Trmetric, but that is my personal preference.

FWIW I would determine how much battery bank you want, then size the solar for that. A good rule of thumb is 80-100 watts per battery unless you are going to do some serious draw down of your battery bank every day, in which case you will want to up that number.
Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #7

Amazon has a 100 Watt HQST kit for $125. I bought one and installed it last month. It comes with monocrystal solar panel, charge controller, and connectors. You have to add wire, stand-off brackets, and roof sealer. I purchased HQST bracket set (8) from Amazon and got spools of 10ga wire at Lowes.
I located the panel in the center of the roof and ran the wire down the refrig vent.
Right after the install we attended the FMCA rally in Lakeland for three nights of dry camping. We were next to a big tree so the panel got no sun until around 11-11:30 but the battery was topped off by late afternoon each day.
I agree with above about a battery monitor, BTW. I have used a Xantrex Link 10 since 2000 and would hate to be without it when camping. Otherwise you are just shooting in the dark when trying to figure out what state the batteries are in.
Good luck.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #8

I echo ScottBrownstein's comment regarding the full State of Charge and other battery information provided by the Trimetric and the SC-2030 controller. I boondock a lot. I upgraded my little Mini Lite to a double 6-volt Trojan bank along with the above electronics, coupled with a single 160 watt panel (Grape Solar) purchased from Home Depot Online. My panel is on a 25 ft 8 ga. marine grade tether so I can take it to where the sun is shining around me. The Trimetric will indicate, among other things, how many amps I've used, how much current is being supplied by the solar panel, and when my batteries are fully charged. This system, along with a Morningstar inverter, permits me to stay in those amazing "remoter" areas for extended stays.
My advice is to determine what your electrical needs are, plan then plan some more, sketch everything out, and buy name brand quality components. Enjoy!
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel