Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi aeblank,

I'm adding two 150 watt Renogy panels that are 39"x39".

In my head, I have a hard time accepting that a couple of gravity stops would be an adequate protection from the road vibration and jolts that would assault something that big going down the road at 60-65 mph. Maybe it's my current confidence level in the six HD brackets that are holding each of my other two 150 watt panels, and making a mental comparison with the robustness of a motorized tilter and non-positive lockdown.

Unless I get up on the roof and somehow positively lock them down, in which case I might as well ditch the motor and tilt them manually...

Nah, I think I'm still committed to flat mounting the new ones. But I'm real interested in what others work out and how it works for them.

FWiW.

Rich
How about 12 volt DC solenoids. Lower the panels, press another button and 2 solenoids put pins into the arms attached to the panels.

Something like this

DC 12V 16mm Push-Pull Tubular Actuator Solenoid Electromagnet w/Spring Return | eBay
Schwartzworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #22

I used a trolling motor quick connect system. It was about $20 in the boating section. It has a waterproof cap.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #23

Those actuators are self locking (pushing/pulling the shaft, it doesn't move). I was suggesting pulling it reasonably hard into a stop of some sort. It would hold it tight, much more than gravity.

I don't think the whole thing is reasonable, but it's intrigued me.

Not a tractor forum, but I designed up using a linear actuator to lock/unlock the SSQA (bucket) mount on my Kubota. Need a couple hundo in parts/stuff, and other things are beating it out. But those actuators can be *very* stout.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #24

Connectors that I use for Solar

For the panels themselves, most come with a MC-4 style connector which are weather proof. You can run the panels in series but only if your controller can handle the higher voltage. This will help with the loss from high currents.

Two controllers on the same battery bank will fight each other so using one controller for both solar banks is preferred.

Check into the Anderson Powerpole connectors. They are genderless and come in ranges from 15-45 Amps for the small shell. The medium shell goes to 75 Amps.

My trailer has nothing on the roof so I ground mount mine so I can move them around to stay in the sun: East in the morning and West in the afternoon. I run them through a Renogy smart controller and direct attach to the battery bank.

If you can't cut the cord on all the AC equipment you might never have enough panels to keep up with a microwave oven, coffee pot, large screen TV, Berk-a-liner massaging chair, 6 tons of air conditioning, and a nuclear centrifuge.

A rule of thumb is that if an AC appliance draws 5 Amps of current the 12 Volt DC input into the inverter will be at least 10 times that amount or 50 Amps.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar