Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
Spare Tire Hoist?

I was looking at the Teca. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm also having trouble finding a retailer that carries them. Anyone?
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
Ok, I contacted Teca directly and they will sell me the unit I need. Oddly enough, they are sending me one with an invoice (no prepayment with credit card). Don't see that too often these days.

The Roo 23SS has a cross-member as part of the tongue a-frame where this hoist will bolt on perfectly. I'll be using the version with the 3/4" hex drive so I can use a ratchet wrench to raise and lower the spare from above through the gap between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer.

Drill two holes and bolt on. Easy! I will post pics when I get the unit installed.

Oh, by the way, $65 including shipping.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB
 
The_Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,085
what is this spare tire hoist?
__________________
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Member
 
chromeOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
looking forward to the pics and report of how it works
__________________
2011 F150 Ecoboost FX2 Screw 6.5 bed
2012 FR Tracer 230FBS
chromeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
flyrotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
what is this spare tire hoist?
The hoist lets you mount your spare tire under your trailer, similar to how it is on your ford truck
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Villa Estate 392FLFB
 
The_Stuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,085
ahhh. nifty device they are!
__________________
One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
Ok, I contacted Teca directly and they will sell me the unit I need. Oddly enough, they are sending me one with an invoice (no prepayment with credit card). Don't see that too often these days.

The Roo 23SS has a cross-member as part of the tongue a-frame where this hoist will bolt on perfectly. I'll be using the version with the 3/4" hex drive so I can use a ratchet wrench to raise and lower the spare from above through the gap between the propane tanks and the front of the trailer.

Drill two holes and bolt on. Easy! I will post pics when I get the unit installed.

Oh, by the way, $65 including shipping.
I used a spare tire hoist from a 1995 Chevy truck (junk yard) 5.00$,mounts with (2) bolts.Available at any junk yard. Free shiping. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
I didn't try the local junk yard. Good idea. I did look on eBay quite a bit and the prices for used tire hoists from pickups are more expensive than the new Teca. The pictures show them to be very rusty.

Do you have any pics of your installation?
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 800
I don't know if I'd want to use a spare tire hoist from a junkyard. I've had to cut 3 hoist cables off the last 2 trucks I've owned due to the mechanism seizing up. And that's w/ regularly using the hoist on the last truck (5 tire rotation), so lack of use didn't contribute to the issue.

I'm all for trying to save a buck whenever, but that's an item I'd pass on.
__________________
2017 Chevrolet K2500HD
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I don't know if I'd want to use a spare tire hoist from a junkyard. I've had to cut 3 hoist cables off the last 2 trucks I've owned due to the mechanism seizing up. And that's w/ regularly using the hoist on the last truck (5 tire rotation), so lack of use didn't contribute to the issue.

I'm all for trying to save a buck whenever, but that's an item I'd pass on.
They wreck( new )trucks also ,I looked at the hoist before removale,I could have paid more ,but it would not make it better! Just like buying a car nice one, or rusty one, your choice! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
Here's my new hoist installed. Just so happens my 3/4" ratchet wrench that came with my BAL xchocks works perfectly. I can operate the hoist from above between the propane tanks and the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-07-13_16.58.38[1].jpg
Views:	278
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6845  
__________________
03 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 5.3 V8, 3.73
06 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Equalizer Hitch
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
Member
 
chromeOkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe
Here's my new hoist installed. Just so happens my 3/4" ratchet wrench that came with my BAL xchocks works perfectly. I can operate the hoist from above between the propane tanks and the trailer.
can't tell from the pic, did you have to drill holes or is it straight bolt on? looks like good access tho.
__________________
2011 F150 Ecoboost FX2 Screw 6.5 bed
2012 FR Tracer 230FBS
chromeOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
Yes, drilled two holes to mount it. You can see the bolt head of one of the mount bolts. The other is hidden behind the wrench. There are a few options for mounting. I did what the manufacturer calls a "front mount". There's also a top mount and a way to mount it horizontally. Also a few different options for the drive actuator. I went with the hex nut, but there's also a drive tube and a cross-pin. You can see some of the options in the photos at this link: Spare Tire Hoist for Recreational Vehicles, Motorhome, Travel Trailer, RV by TECA
__________________
03 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 5.3 V8, 3.73
06 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Equalizer Hitch
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They wreck( new )trucks also ,I looked at the hoist before removale,I could have paid more ,but it would not make it better! Just like buying a car nice one, or rusty one, your choice! Youroo!!
If you can pick what you're getting @ the wreckers, yes that's a good source.

I think I'd avoid anything off a truck 3 or more years old though, especially in the snowbelt where salt is used on the roads..
__________________
2017 Chevrolet K2500HD
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 2
TECA 500-100N RV winch works great

I mounted mine onto the propane tank holder and use a Makita impact wrench with a 3/4 socket (same one I use for the stabilizers) to run it up and down. tools/materials: #14 x 3/4 in self tapping screws, 3/8 socket, drill with socket drive shaft.
1) remove propane tank cover and tanks
2) reroute propane hose over the top of the rails holding battery box
3) relocate breakaway switch to outside of trailer tongue (wires over top)
4) center hitch under propane tank mount with nut facing battery box and edge flush with back of propane mount (a C clamp helps if you are alone) **Critical that you get it flush with back of mount or tire will rub on the tongue jack!
5) run two screws up through mounting holes on winch into propane rack
6) Winch tire up
7) zip tie battery cables out of the way
8) replace propane tanks and cover. Winch is protected from weather by the cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	breakaway.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	73574   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullview.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	73575   Click image for larger version

Name:	jackclearance.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	73576   Click image for larger version

Name:	mounting.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	73577  
Raycarlson3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.