Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Not quite...you need a poly or other synthetic cone + a butyl rubber surround + a plastic grill.
Polk db651's would be a good example of a good sounding auto speaker that can also be used outside or in marine situations.
Polk Audio db651 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
I don't think foam is used any longer because of foam rot and has not been used in quite some time, so butyl or waffle surround is your only choice anyways. The voice coil/former/spyder will corrode/warp before the speaker cone will fail anyways.

Sound is a very personal choice and only the listener can choose what he/she will like. Mounted high on the side of an RV is quite frankly the worst possible place to mount them because no one puts a large hole with the proper size box behind the speaker for optimum low frequency response anyways.

Now pointing out a well made speaker is a different story, but still does not mean the user will like the sound it makes.

I personally would look for a box speaker (like the ones above) to get the best sound and I would mount them in the pass through or plug them in when wanted.

Putting them at the top of the RV just makes it so it is even easier to disturb your neighbors.

YMMV
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #22

Bluetooth is pretty good these days and there are other wireless options. I got a set of speakers from Costco a few years back that are amazing.

A lot depends on your music source..sat radio is very compressed and if you listen to it for a bit you don't notice - but change from FM or a CD/MP3 and it's instantly noticeable.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I don't think foam is used any longer because of foam rot and has not been used in quite some time, so butyl or waffle surround is your only choice anyways. The voice coil/former/spyder will corrode/warp before the speaker cone will fail anyways.

Sound is a very personal choice and only the listener can choose what he/she will like. Mounted high on the side of an RV is quite frankly the worst possible place to mount them because no one puts a large hole with the proper size box behind the speaker for optimum low frequency response anyways.

Now pointing out a well made speaker is a different story, but still does not mean the user will like the sound it makes.

I personally would look for a box speaker (like the ones above) to get the best sound and I would mount them in the pass through or plug them in when wanted.

Putting them at the top of the RV just makes it so it is even easier to disturb your neighbors.

YMMV
Foam, Paper and rubber impregnated cloth are still being used in both car and home speakers.
Despite spending over 30 years professionally in the audio and car stereo industry...I've never heard the term "waffle surround". Anything other than butyl will deteriorate in the sun and weather AND allow moisture behind the speaker where it can damage the coil.

The speaker I listed is the embodiment of the three requirements I listed... plastic grill, composite cone, butyl surround...and is a well made & priced speaker that sounds as good as anything in its' price range....and measures that way. (Wide flat frequency response, low distortion, quick attack highs & lows, good treble dispersion and a swivel tweeter to compensate for poor placement options.) And sounds 500% better than anything in the coach does now.
GOOD sound for the money IS defineable and recognizable. Nuanced Preferences at a personal level don't change that. You might look into the research of Dr. Floyld Toole for the CRC which founded not just one speaker company but a half dozen or more on the CONCLUSION that "good" can be quantified and recognized and designed and measured. All the rest is tone controls.

Good in this context is about a quality of sound in under $100 speakers that will make a piece of crap car stereo sound a lot better. If you like a set of under $100 Pioneers or JBL's better...so be it. That doesn't change the fact that the Polks are good...

No one puts a hole with a proper sized box behind them?? Please investigate what the proper sized box is for a speaker designed as an infinite baffle.

Box speakers like those shown will not give the best sound since boxes of that size are absolutely bass limited and I'd guarantee that they are down at LEAST 3db @ 125Hz and have little usable output below 100.
And no...I would not suggest mounting any speaker other than "fills" high on a trailer...put 'em as close to seated level as possible.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #24

While I don't doubt you were in the industry, I am sorry that you don't like my wording for pleated cloth/paper/doped surrounds.

We could however spend countless posts trying to explain to the members of FRF how to measure Theil small parameters and then how to use those values to properly build and install a speaker system that will sound decent.

I ask for a link to a current aftermarket not OE speaker that has a poly cone with a paper or foam surround. It is not that I don't believe you it is just I have not seen one in recent years, I have only seen poly cones with rubber surrounds and that was the basis for my original statement about buying a poly cone transducer for use outside is that it would already have a rubber surround and be a drop in replacement for those who just want to have a bit better speaker. I did not use a brand because it is for others to decide what to buy.

As for the statement about infinite baffle, speakers still require a certain amount of space behind the driver to reproduce the specs that are set forth by the manufacturer. The average door in a car is at least 1.5-2 cu ft which for a 5.25" or 6.5" automotive driver, that will be a large enclosure for such a small woofer.

The little round mounting baffles on the side of most RV's are nowhere near big enough for the driver to sound as good as it can and to have the proper air space behind it.

The box speaker was a recommendation for ease of use and the best sound quality for an RV DIY'er that could easily be mounted or stowed for use when needed or wanted. There are quite a few box speakers that will play down to 60-70Hz at -3db. Now weather or not they are in a space that can utilize that frequency response is yet to be determined.

I am sorry if I have offended you that was not my intent but neither was a full blown speaker measuring/building session. I have not been employed in this industry for as long as you but I have been playing in it for at least that amount of time. Some very well known, good friends who are at the pinnacle of this profession have provided me with countless amounts of info for my speaker building pleasures. Enjoy the music!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #25

I'm not offended....I am saying you are wrong. There's a difference.
You asked for a current poly speaker with a foam surround, disbelieving my statement.
Here: Kenwood - KFC-1694PS Please note that urethane IS foam.
Furthermore...my original post never mentioned foam AND it did mention no metal grills which your post did not. Roughly half of the existing poly cone speakers would have their grills rust out following just your poly cone advice.

The space you claim car speakers need behind them to work properly is specious. In both car doors and RV sides...non acoustically sealed space has no impact on sound.

Finally your commented that you would prefer box speakers "like the ones above"...not just any box speaker. NOTHING on the market from ANY manufacturer in speakers of the size pictured can provide bass that will play down to 60-70HZ with output that is not down by at least 6db. Most are down by a lot more than that.

That said...I'm done with this thread as my points have been made and the OP can buy what they want with a better understanding of what is necessary.
My advice: Get a boombox.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #26
Canadian Member

The OP asked about mounting outside speakers because he apparently doesn't have any mounted by the factory. IMHO, outside speakers on an RV should not be played loud enough to bother your neighbours and they don't need be of such quality as to make an audiophile grin from ear to ear. They just need to be decent by the average person's standard when played at a low enough volume that you don't disturb your neighbours, and they need to be waterproof. There is no need for deep base from outside speakers on an RV.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The OP asked about mounting outside speakers because he apparently doesn't have any mounted by the factory. IMHO, outside speakers on an RV should not be played loud enough to bother your neighbours and they don't need be of such quality as to make an audiophile grin from ear to ear. They just need to be decent by the average person's standard when played at a low enough volume that you don't disturb your neighbours, and they need to be waterproof. There is no need for deep base from outside speakers on an RV.
X2
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

Quote:
I can agree with that. My outside speakers are adequate for my needs but I know that they aren't hifi by any means.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Bear in mind, some people camp without neighbors.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #30

Quote:
A good speaker will sound better at low volume and be easier (cleaner/clearer) to hear than a crappy one and disturb less people because you need to turn it up less.

It will also play very well at more extreme levels when you don't have neighbors.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #31

Our 2014 Salem 26tbud has pre installed speakers outside. Not the best of course but they serve the purpose.
thegreatoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #32

Just installed a basic 90$ sony car stereo with an auxilary input and usb. Outside speakers sound much better now. They dont sound like high end speakers but sound much better than before.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote