Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #1

Stolen TV and Mounting Bracket -Need to Upgrade Door Locks on our V-Lite 30WIKS

Picked up the TT at the storage facility Thurs pm and nothing looked amiss. Drove 1/2 hr to group site and proceeded to set up. Noticed when I unlocked back door (living room) that lock turned funny and I had to press in on door to get it open, but it was locked. Imagine my surprise to see that the TV and mounting bracket had been stolen. Immediately called the storage facility, but they had already closed for the day.
Sometime between 12/9 and 2/13 our door was popped open, probably using a pry bar since close examination reveals a slight bowing, and the thief was in it long enough to remove the 13+ screws necessary to take the TV and mounting bracket, but it doesn't appear they took anything else. Several hundred dollars worth of CDs and DVDs conveniently packed in carry bags were ignored as was our shore line cord that they had to step over to get inside the TT. On their way out they popped the door back into place and folded the assist rail in so no one was the wiser.
We pay plenty for covered storage with lots of cameras and key code access required. It will be interesting to find out how many other units were hit. Ours is one of the newer TTs there, but there are bigger, fancier 5ers and coaches as well. We are in the middle of the row rather than an end slot, Can't imagine that our TT was singled out. Now, how do we keep it from happening again, short of installing a bar across the door?
What are the most secure TT door locks? Would electronic locks be less likely to be popped? Surely we are not the only ones this has happened to. Taking everything of value out of the TT after each trip is just not an option. Your suggestions will be appreciated!
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

Sorry to hear that some scum bag broke into your trailer. With a pry bar it wouldn't take much to open that door with little damage. I really do not see that a combination lock would be any more secure. Also you might want to have a locksmith rekey what you have, since all the models have the same key. They might have had the same unit and just opened it. Are you the only model in the storage area? Or are there more of the same unit stored there? It would be cheaper to have it rekeyed. Hate to say it but these locks only keep the honest people honest. What about a single door alarm, then atleast it would make some noise and maybe scare someone off. I think you can get them at HD or Lowes.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Wow, that really sux!! That would tick me off big time. Hopefully the thieves will be caught.

A couple of years ago a number of trailers at our storage lot were broken into. The crooks broke out windows to gain access and all they wanted were the flat screen televisions. Fortunately my fifth wheel wasn’t touched.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:53 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Remove tv------------

When storing your RV, always remove any and all valuable items such as TV's, spare tire, Etc. These items should be kept at home until the RV is removed from storage for use.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #5

since your stating door was forced open, doesn't matter what locks you have nor will re-keying matter. Nothing you could have done, other than keep TV at home as stated. I'm fortunate the town I live in allows me to keep my 5th wheel in my back yard.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

I would remove the DVD's as well as the TV when storing. A thief has all the time in the world once in your stored RV, so options that buy you time won't help.
rbneron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

Our storage lot was hit as well last year. Thankfully all they were after was the trailer power cords that plug into tow vehicle. They didn't get into any storage compartments except those on class a and c motorhomes. Cost me about 40 bucks and 15 minutes to replace. Still tho, the theiving ba...ards. one day, they will get their payback.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #8

Its to bad they broke in and stole but at least they did not trash your camper. I don't know which tv you had but the one you replace it with will be better. I am going to take out our Jensen tv and replace it with our Samsung that we have in our house bedroom.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

Although I'm sure this is not the case with your situation, I often wonder how many dealer keys (or copies of) are floating around.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #10

not trying to give you a hard time, but how do you leave your camper at a remote location for a few months, and not do a walk-through before towing it somewhere? It wouldn't have prevented anything, other than not dealing with the surprise at the campsite. I've seen stories on here where people get there campers out of storage and find them full of water from leaking all winter. I would have to visit it periodically to prevent from worrying to death about it.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Ours too is stored in our drive way, but I still take anything of value out of it during winter months... battery, tv, chocks etc. the money you can spend on TT accessories adds up to quite abit .
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #12

When I bought ours last fall the dealer offered to store it for free in their lot, but we weren't comfortable with this since it's an hour away and we had a lot to transfer from our old trailer. During this winter our old one hadn't sold yet but Ice Storm did damage it and because I was able to get to it the water damage was minimal and I was able to plug the holes. Insurance took care of damage. Wouldn't leave mine in a storage facility I like seeing it every day and know if someone has been near it. I've a big yard and paying for it so why not use it.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
Although I'm sure this is not the case with your situation, I often wonder how many dealer keys (or copies of) are floating around.
My dealership's shop foreman told me if I needed work done on my TT while it's stored there, to lock the door handles. He has a skeleton key for door handles but NOT for the deadbolts. How that works? Beats me. Any locksmiths out there who know for sure?

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #14

If the yard has cameras as you say, are they monitored or just recording? Monitored I would want to know how they missed this going on. Recording should show something but looking over the tapes for 3 months 24 hrs a day is going to take a lot of time. Sounds like somebody that needed that specific part replaced. Probably going to find it was someone else storing their tt that did it if you find out at all. There is no way to guarantee it will not happen again, even keeping it in my yard is not guaranteeing mine won't but it does cut down the chances.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
Sorry to hear of your loss, our storage sight also has camera's, not sure if they record & how long it is kept, will have to check. We also have our sale's & service department next door, so there is always movement in the area. We only take out the things that would freeze, to take everything that is valuable out of the RV would take two truck loads. I just had a thought, what about a couple of good cables & locks, would this not slow down or discourage the thieves?

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #16

So sorry to hear about the invasion of privacy and theft. I store my RV at a lot close to my work and check on it at least once a week. It gives me a chance to make sure there are no leaks and that it is secure. It is also monitored with security cameras and an on site manager. I know this does not guarantee protection form theft or vandalism but it's my best option. I think the security cameras are on a loop recording and only goes back so many days. I recommend checking with the management and have them review the footage. Was there any other break in's of other RV's at the same time? Have the police been contacted? It has been my experience that the door lock in universal but the dead bolt is specific to your unit. I do know that all RV storage compartments use the same key. The deadbolt certainly does not prevent a thief from breaking in but makes it a little harder. You could consider a single door battery operated alarm and possibly a motion activated camera. Even posting a sticker or sign saying "smile, you are on camera" may be a deterrent I hope the authorities catch the thieving *#$^$%&!
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming

To respond to some of your questions:
1) Keeping our TT trailer at home is not an option. The deed restrictions for our subdivision do not allow it. (Even if it was allowed we have a corner lot with no space where it would fit.)
2) We live in Houston, TX. We have covered (but not enclosed) storage to protect from hail damage. TT are rarely winterized in this area, in fact winter is usually some of our best camping weather. The unusually cold January kept us home. DH had gone by storage and drained water heater about 2 wks ago when it was predicted to be below freezing for several days. Nothing got his attention.
3) We have 3 slides, 1 on curb side and 2 on driver's side. With them pulled in it is impossible to walk through TT. At the bedroom door there is only enough room to stand and operate control panel. Living area door (break-in site) has about 15 sq ft and we leave the shore line there since we have little outside storage and we knew about universal keys. With the slides in and the blinds down it is dark in there. They probably had flashlights and cordless screwdriver.
4) Storage facility is part of utility trailer sales and repair business that is open six days a week. Owner has ability to monitor cameras from his home as well. Entrance requires code 24/7. Business sits on the frontage road of interstate highway, but not near entrance or exit ramps. No other V-Lites that I know of, but certainly other Forest River units as well as many other RVs and business vehicles.

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep 'em coming!
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

We store ours at home and remove only some perishable food items and some of the extra clothing, etc. Frig & water heater are left on and the door locked Naturally we have insurance on it, so if it gets broken into, we'll file a claim, get it fixed and go on. Regardless of the locks, if they want in, you can't stop them.

Naturally, if we stored the unit, we'd take the perishable items out, shut down the frig & water heater, lock all the doors but would at least check it at least every other week while stored.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #19

I think it's horrible. We store ours on a Marine Corps storage facility just off base but ran by the base. Base police patrol the lot and ours was broken into. They put a bunch of stuff in trash bins and bags and set it all by the door, like they were going to come back for it later. The camper was practically empty so there were no large items, but the little things add up. Turns out there were about a dozen other units found the same way. I go to my toyhauler weekly to check on it since then. I guess no place is safe.
jjgabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #20

We went to our storage regularly and noticed that an older Airstream had a solar panel on it and one to two cars were always there. We told the owners of the lot that someone/s was living in it. It took a couple months of complaining but they finally left. Nothing was ever taken but there was plenty of RVs to choose from. Frequent visit and sharp eyes help but nothing is going to stop people who want your stuff from taking it.

Tags
door, mount, upgrade, v-lite, lock