Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #1

Storage box for the tongue

Now that the battery is off the tongue, I have space between the cab and the propane tanks to mount a container for storage. My intentions are to store all the outside prep stuff in it. Anderson levelers, stabilizer pads, jack block, etc. Makes it easier to grab them all after a rainy camp weekend and toss up there instead of in the underfloor area.

I'm leaning towards something plastic such as Rubbermaid or the like mainly to keep down on weight. Security isn't high on my list since in most situations all the items will already be under the camper when we are parked. Otherwise we keep the camper at our house and don't have issues with theft.

Any ideas? Please share photos with what you have!
Old 05-19-2022, 02:19 PM   #2

This is what I have right now and am looking to upgrade also

I also am about to do the very same thing. We have a dual battery box behind the dual propane tanks. I am upgrading to the expensive $1000 LiPo battery and I am going to locate it inside the cab with the voltage inverter. This is just behind the nose cap where the original batteries are. Two reasons. I am told that those batteries perform poorly or not at all in freezing temps, and also the price so theft is an issue. Locating it inside the cab under the bed up front solves both those problems. This leaves that space for storage. I want to put a locking box to put hoses and "outdoor" stuff that I don't care about theft or humidity.

This is the box I am using right now and it works great and has two batteries in it. However, its not very sturdy and kinda cheap, thin plastic. I only bought it at the time because I needed something right then to keep the rain off the batteries. It does fit perfectly though in the space you are talking about. This is the Plano Storage Box , LARGE on Amazon. The box I have thought does NOT have any wheels. Mine must have been an older model.

I would like to find the same thing but in all aluminum painted white or black and lockable.

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Sportsm...41632849&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planobox_.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	273537  
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #3

Google is your friend:

aluminum+rv+tongue+storage+box

plastic+rv+tongue+storage+box
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #4
Jayhawker

Dee Zee M207

This is light weight aluminum lock able box and is available at Amazon for $213 last time I looked. 36 inches x 13" x 13"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71YP5ST3EkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	273560  
Old 05-20-2022, 10:22 AM   #5

I recently did the exact same thing, installing new LiFePho batteries inside and wanted a storage box on the tongue for stuff for setting up. I wasn't worried about theft for the stuff going in there so I got a dual battery box for type 27 batteries that exactly fit the tray for the old batteries. It was cheap and does the job.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #6

Pickup tool box

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I also am about to do the very same thing. We have a dual battery box behind the dual propane tanks. I am upgrading to the expensive $1000 LiPo battery and I am going to locate it inside the cab with the voltage inverter. This is just behind the nose cap where the original batteries are. Two reasons. I am told that those batteries perform poorly or not at all in freezing temps, and also the price so theft is an issue. Locating it inside the cab under the bed up front solves both those problems. This leaves that space for storage. I want to put a locking box to put hoses and "outdoor" stuff that I don't care about theft or humidity.

This is the box I am using right now and it works great and has two batteries in it. However, its not very sturdy and kinda cheap, thin plastic. I only bought it at the time because I needed something right then to keep the rain off the batteries. It does fit perfectly though in the space you are talking about. This is the Plano Storage Box , LARGE on Amazon. The box I have thought does NOT have any wheels. Mine must have been an older model.

I would like to find the same thing but in all aluminum painted white or black and lockable.
Maybe one of the diamond-skid-plate toolboxes, sized for a mini-pickup. Here's a 41-inch unit in black. They are available in longer units; 60 and 72 inch units are easy to find.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #7

I put the truck box from TSC on my trailer. Whatever you decide, be sure you can return it after checking that the lid opens far enough to actually get items in and out of it before mounting it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210213_155533.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	273579   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210213_155527.jpg
Views:	1586
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	273580  

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
I put the truck box from TSC on my trailer. Whatever you decide, be sure you can return it after checking that the lid opens far enough to actually get items in and out of it before mounting it.
Ditto on lid clearance. Many rigs have rounded front caps that intrude a LOT on the "head space" above the battery box location. Example: I installed 2 x 6-volt golf cart batteries on my tongue. I bought conventional plastic battery boxes for them. These boxes are taller than those for regular 12 volt batteries. I can BARELY get the lids on, and they are very streamlined compared to a box with a hinged lid.

It really depends on your camper. Looking at this video of your rig, you have a very rounded front cap, and lid clearance will present quite a challenge. You might opt for a simpler lift off lid that you can get out of the way...or a box with doors on either end that would work well with simple things like Anderson levelers.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #9

I like that TSC box. Yes I have the same exact front end, had the curved down part so it will have a overhang over the box.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #10

I purchased an RV Lock Box prior to switching to LiFePO4 batteries.

After relocating the new batteries I decided to use my expensive battery box as a storage box for our wheel chocks, levelers and X-chocks. It's great not having to take up space in the pass thru or worrying about dirt on the chocks.

I realize this isn't the type of box you're looking for, but I'd encourage any type of storage box mounted on the tongue for this purpose because it's very convenient.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I purchased an RV Lock Box prior to switching to LiFePO4 batteries.

After relocating the new batteries I decided to use my expensive battery box as a storage box for our wheel chocks, levelers and X-chocks. It's great not having to take up space in the pass thru or worrying about dirt on the chocks.

I realize this isn't the type of box you're looking for, but I'd encourage any type of storage box mounted on the tongue for this purpose because it's very convenient.

I will be doing the same thing as the OP when i convert to LiFePo. This is one of options I’m considering since there is no worry about the lid being constricted from the curve of the trailer. The sliding lid makes the most sense.

Tags
storage