Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Strange charging issue since installing solar.

I installed solar panels on my 2016 Vibe 245BHS last fall and have loved having it because it keeps my battery charged, while in storage. My problem is with the battery charging while towing the trailer.

Ever since installing the solar, the battery won't charge while towing. I start the day with a full battery and by the time we park and setup the trailer, the battery is about 80% charge. Within an hour or so of disconnecting, it's back up to 100%.

The trailer was prewired for solar from the factory. I installed the panel and the controller. I also put a breaker on either side of the controller for ease of maintenance.

Any ideas why the battery stopped charging while towing?

TIA,
Eric
DaTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

I too am interested in what others have to say as I have just purchased solar for our 5th wheel and was curious if would affect TV.
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
I installed solar panels on my 2016 Vibe 245BHS last fall and have loved having it because it keeps my battery charged, while in storage. My problem is with the battery charging while towing the trailer.

Ever since installing the solar, the battery won't charge while towing. I start the day with a full battery and by the time we park and setup the trailer, the battery is about 80% charge. Within an hour of so of disconnecting, it's back up to 100%.

The trailer was prewired for solar from the factory. I installed the panel and the controller. I also put a breaker on either side of the controller for ease of maintenance.

Any ideas why the battery stopped charging while towing?

TIA,
Eric
Disconnect the 12v wire connecting your tow vehicle to the trailer and see if this continues. If it stops then just leave it that way and let the Solar Panels keep the trailer batteries charged. That's the only function of that wire.

I found that same phenomena after installing my Battleborn LiFePo batteries. When they were fully charged they actually discharged back into my tow vehicle because of the voltage differences between FLA and LiFePo batteries.

I solved it by installing a Renogy DC-DC 20 amp charger in my TT that is connected directly to the 12 v "Charge Wire" from my TV. It acts as a battery isolator as well as charging the LiFePo's at their higher charge voltage. $127 and a couple hours of install/wiring. Well worth it according to babcock it's a good idea for charging regular FLA batteries, especially if the TV has one of the modern variable output alternators.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Disconnect the 12v wire connecting your tow vehicle to the trailer and see if this continues. If it stops then just leave it that way and let the Solar Panels keep the trailer batteries charged. That's the only function of that wire.

I found that same phenomena after installing my Battleborn LiFePo batteries. When they were fully charged they actually discharged back into my tow vehicle because of the voltage differences between FLA and LiFePo batteries.

I solved it by installing a Renogy DC-DC 20 amp charger in my TT that is connected directly to the 12 v "Charge Wire" from my TV. It acts as a battery isolator as well as charging the LiFePo's at their higher charge voltage. $127 and a couple hours of install/wiring. Well worth it according to babcock it's a good idea for charging regular FLA batteries, especially if the TV has one of the modern variable output alternators.
I'll look into that, thanks for the advice!
DaTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Forest River 26FKBS

I had a similar problem because I was charging the batteries through the pre-existing solar wiring. When I connected the battery directly to my solar controller, the batteries charged better and more completely than the other way.
It’s the first time the lights on the controller worked correctly!

Forest River 21DS
GMC Sierra 2018
trumpetmood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar