Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #21
Site Team

Strongarm Stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint243 View Post
We have a Sabre 36BHQ and I installed a set of strong arms on it. Yes the battery box is in the way when your landing gear is retracted. But all I do is remove that one arm before we load up and go...I have seen you can move the battery box back a few inches to clear, but i didn't want to go that route. Doing it the way I do takes about 5 min or less when getting ready and the same time or less when setting up.....for what you get as far as stabilization its worth it. We have a washer and dryer up front and it took almost all of the noticeable shake out of the entire trailer.

My battery box WAS also in the way of my front Strongarm bar but I made a one-and-done modification so I don’t have an additional step or 2 to set up/tear down. I built a rectangular box using a cedar fence picket and raised my battery box out of the way.
OK, maybe it was pine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8175.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	273001
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8176.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	273002

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
My battery box WAS also in the way of my front Strongarm bar but I made a one-and-done modification so I don’t have an additional step or 2 to set up/tear down. I built a rectangular box using a cedar fence picket and raised my battery box out of the way.
OK, maybe it was pine.
Attachment 273001
Attachment 273002

Thanks for the idea, Dan! Is the last picture showing the bottom of the battery as it peeks out of the hole in the floor of your front storage bin? Or, is it the bottom of the plastic battery tray it sits in? Can't say I've ever noticed how the bottom of my tray looks when sitting in the cutout.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:17 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Thanks for the idea, Dan! Is the last picture showing the bottom of the battery as it peeks out of the hole in the floor of your front storage bin? Or, is it the bottom of the plastic battery tray it sits in? Can't say I've ever noticed how the bottom of my tray looks when sitting in the cutout.
The bottom pic shows the bottom of the plastic tray in which the battery sits. It came from the factory. The top lip of that tray can be seen in the first pic hanging over the top of the wooden spacer box I built.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The bottom pic shows the bottom of the plastic tray in which the battery sits. It came from the factory. The top lip of that tray can be seen in the first pic hanging over the top of the wooden spacer box I built.

Really like this idea if it'll work with two battery trays that're side by side and spaced apart. I'll have to measure and see once I get the kit and my RV back from the body shop this weekend.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #25

I moved my Steadyfast system from my old 5th wheel to the current one. I had a single battery that hung below the front box. When I switched to Lifepo4 battery, I moved the battery into the trailer, but I could have just left it where it was after I took out the recessed box, covered the hole with some Diamond plate, sealed the plate to existing metal box, and then placed the battery on top of that plate. Nothing was getting stored above the battery anyway, not sure why they recessed it.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
I moved my Steadyfast system from my old 5th wheel to the current one. I had a single battery that hung below the front box. When I switched to Lifepo4 battery, I moved the battery into the trailer, but I could have just left it where it was after I took out the recessed box, covered the hole with some Diamond plate, sealed the plate to existing metal box, and then placed the battery on top of that plate. Nothing was getting stored above the battery anyway, not sure why they recessed it.

My educated guess is they normally recess the battery boxes for two reasons. First, it does save some room in the storage bin for camping gear. Once they add the battery box covers with the venting tubes, it does take up quite a bit of storage space in my fiver. Second is to make more room when routing the mass of cables to connect to the battery terminals easier for the installers. The factory connected at least six to eight large gauge cables on my two batteries. Anyone on the forum who's worked assembling RV electrical systems, please let us know for sure.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #27

I installed the JT Stabilizers on Flagstaff 29rsws last fall.

One of the best mods I’ve made. Like you I can’t stand the bounce. It does not eliminate the bounce but I would guesstimate a reduction of over 80%.

I’m very happy with mine.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #28

I have the JT strong arms that were factory installed on a 2019 251 SSXL toy hauler. They are awesome. When set up correctly, the trailer is very stable. An absolute must.
Stryker Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
GrayghostUSA, unless you’re brand new to the forum, the search tool should be your first option for finding answers to your questions. I use it all the time when I’m looking for answers. Are you saying you used the search tool and couldn’t find an answer to your question? I just tried it and got 217 results. Not all results will be useful but there have been a lot of threads discussing the JT Strongarm stabilizers.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...5&pp=25&page=9
Sometimes people like to have current interaction with others on the forum instead of "searching" If you don't like people asking without searching don't read or post. Simple.
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:42 AM   #30

One More Time For This Request

Ok, one important question for Mr. Dan, masque and Stryker Guy.

I ordered the Strong Arm kit and will have it tomorrow. I have the four point LCI Ground Control 3.0 electric auto-leveling system. In order to install the rear stabilizer arms to the telescopic rear jacks, did any or all of you have to purchase an additional set of jack adapter lugs and another set of swing bolts? Or, did the kit have all the parts needed to mount the stabilizer arms on the rear jacks?

If so, I believe I know the two LCI part numbers needed and will need to spend another $93 (which is stupid to not already include this). Just don't want to start the project and not be able to finish it.

Thank you all in advance for your help with this question!
Old 05-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #31
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsriding View Post
Sometimes people like to have current interaction with others on the forum instead of "searching" If you don't like people asking without searching don't read or post. Simple.
It’s not a matter of whether I like or dislike someone not searching. It’s advice on how to get the most out of the forum.

This forum has a ton of great knowledge. In effect, its kind of like a library. If you don’t search, you’ll only get responses from those who see your post. You’ll get more responses, and more out of this forum, by searching. You may actually find that someone asked the same or similar question yesterday. And RV technology doesn’t change very quickly so the answers in a 5 year old post are usually still relevant today.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #32

Quote:
It’s not a matter of whether I like or dislike someone not searching. It’s advice on how to get the most out of the forum.

This forum has a ton of great knowledge. In effect, its kind of like a library. If you don’t search, you’ll only get responses from those who see your post. You’ll get more responses, and more out of this forum, by searching. You may actually find that someone asked the same or similar question yesterday. And RV technology doesn’t change very quickly so the answers in a 5 year old post are usually still relevant today.

You're correct in this statement and took heed to it. Doing a search of the FRF library, I couldn't find the information I'm looking for in any of the archives.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #33

Really great thread, gang (not kidding). Also, kudos in keeping the related discussion IN the thread, instead of taking it to Private Messages. Makes for good/relevant material for the next time someone searches for related terms... and runs into the same issues.

GP, let us know how install goes and if you're happy with the Strongarms. My Steadfasts should be here next week!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #34

Quote:
GrayghostUSA, unless you’re brand new to the forum, the search tool should be your first option for finding answers to your questions. I use it all the time when I’m looking for answers. Are you saying you used the search tool and couldn’t find an answer to your question? I just tried it and got 217 results. Not all results will be useful but there have been a lot of threads discussing the JT Strongarm stabilizers.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...5&pp=25&page=9
To put an end to this waste of my time. On this forum, others and general looking for data:
1. I do a search, in this case on the forum, for relevant data.
2, I weed through the results and try to ignore any Forum Gestapos' and other not on topic results.
3. I look at the results for information I require.
4. If I want further data or just hope there are more recent on topic results I then post a thread with my fingers crossed.
5. This leads to going back to steps 1 and 2.

Thanks to all who resonded with on target answers.
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #35

Quote:

Well Said.
markaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:25 PM   #36

I have the front ones installed on my Arctic Wolf with the 4 point LCI auto leveling system. On the rear jacks, I was thinking of pulling the pin that holds the foot to the jack and using the long bolt that is used with the other style jacks. Should be about the same size as the pin. With the jack all the way up, slide the strong arm out about an inch and then put the other end up against the frame and mount it. That should work? Have read some others having problems with those lugs that mount to the foot plate. Otherwise I love the JT strong arms. This is the 3rd fifth wheel that I have had them on.

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSCOTT View Post
I have the front ones installed on my Arctic Wolf with the 4 point LCI auto leveling system. On the rear jacks, I was thinking of pulling the pin that holds the foot to the jack and using the long bolt that is used with the other style jacks. Should be about the same size as the pin. With the jack all the way up, slide the strong arm out about an inch and then put the other end up against the frame and mount it. That should work? Have read some others having problems with those lugs that mount to the foot plate. Otherwise I love the JT strong arms. This is the 3rd fifth wheel that I have had them on.

You probably have a very similar RV as mine if its a fiver, and since it's a Cherokee product. I didn't buy the lugs or extra swing pins yet until I get the kit today and my RV back from the body shop next week. I'll have to determine if these additional parts are needed, or not and report back for everyone's benefit.

I've not heard any reports, good or bad, about mounting the lugs on the footpads. LCI indicates that they can either be welded on or screwed on. I've seen the lugs and would like to know how they screw on to the footpads as they don't appear to have any pre-drilled mounting holes.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #38

You have to drill the hole yourself. It goes on one of the bumps. The complain is that they are too wide and the arms don't fit.

2021 Arctic Wolf
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Gasser
RRSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:23 PM   #39

I can see how they would help. The same principle as DIY solutions which is what I chose being somewhat of a miser. Can't remember where I had seen it. Possibly a youtube search. Consists of 4 angle cut 2X4's, an eye bolt near one end of each. A ratchet strap for each pair hooked to the eye bolts to tighten the rock out of your camper. Amazing difference. One a bit more work, the other more expense. Can't speak for the commercial gadget, but the DIY works great.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
I hate the trailer shaking when someone is moving around. Our trailer is a 2019 Flagstaff 26RBWS. We are going to the International F.R.O.G. Rally in August and have 'Lippert to install the Strongarms there, taking advantage of the discount Rally price.

Does anyone have experience with these stabilizers?

Yes, I have them on my 5th Wheel - Rockwood 8280WS. They do not remove the bounce. We still have a significant bounce as the suspension provides cushion for towing but when parked, it allows for bounce when moving around in the 5th wheel.
duby325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stabilizer, stabilizers