Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #1

Strongarm Stabilizers

I hate the trailer shaking when someone is moving around. Our trailer is a 2019 Flagstaff 26RBWS. We are going to the International F.R.O.G. Rally in August and have 'Lippert to install the Strongarms there, taking advantage of the discount Rally price.

Does anyone have experience with these stabilizers?
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
{snip}...Does anyone have experience with these stabilizers?
Search for "Strongarm" in the FRF header and you will find 668 posts about them. "Search" is your friend.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #3

No, search is a tool. Not a friend. But thanks anyway. Been there, done that.
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Well..."Search" may just be a tool, but self-reliance is a life skill.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #5
ysidive

Quote:
I hate the trailer shaking when someone is moving around. Our trailer is a 2019 Flagstaff 26RBWS. We are going to the International F.R.O.G. Rally in August and have 'Lippert to install the Strongarms there, taking advantage of the discount Rally price.

I have the Steady Fast stabilizing bars and they work great. I compared the both when I was ordering mine. I like the Steady Fast because you do not have to crawl under the trailer to set them as you do on the Strongarms. You can order them direct and they come well boxed with excellent instructions. Great customer support, and if you have questions they will actually call you back if you do not reach them on first try...
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
Canadian Member

GrayghostUSA, unless you’re brand new to the forum, the search tool should be your first option for finding answers to your questions. I use it all the time when I’m looking for answers. Are you saying you used the search tool and couldn’t find an answer to your question? I just tried it and got 217 results. Not all results will be useful but there have been a lot of threads discussing the JT Strongarm stabilizers.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...5&pp=25&page=9
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
I have the Steady Fast stabilizing bars and they work great. I compared the both when I was ordering mine. I like the Steady Fast because you do not have to crawl under the trailer to set them as you do on the Strongarms. You can order them direct and they come well boxed with excellent instructions. Great customer support, and if you have questions they will actually call you back if you do not reach them on first try...
I don't have to crawl under my 5er to set (or even tighten the T-bolts) on my JT Strongarms. I do have to bend over.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #8

I was looking pretty hard at JT Strongarm as a stabilization solution for my Roo, BUT - in doing the research - I've noticed some installs of the JT Strongarm system have required odd angles, esp on Roos based on the frame, and lack of a cross member to bolt to. Likewise, I love the machining and finish of the JT Strongarm system (and all the ancillary pieces), but it seems like there's an awful lot of compromise in the design and execution on how it connects to the TT, and where there's additional room for mechanical slop to work into the solution. You might take a look at how the Strongarm system will mount and be applied based on your 26RBWS.

Search reveals that the forum is riddled with comparison notes between different systems, but after some research, I think I'll personally be migrating to the Steadyfast camp for our Roo.

FWIW, the Steadyfast website has a comparison page - I wouldn't take this as gospel (especially as it's marketing material), but it could highlight some aspects of different systems to pay attention to in making your purchasing decision.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #9
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

I looked into BAL, JT, and Steadyfast. I personally chose the Steadyfast as well. The 3 points to tighten up the system once installed is what won me over.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:09 AM   #10

Quote:

Although I was planning to install these, they will not work on the Sabre fifth wheel RV's. This is all due to the location of my two battery boxes. Both boxes are recessed (side by side) into the front floor area of my basement storage right behind the pinbox. The boxes hang below the outer floor of the RV by three or four inches and would be in the way of the stabilizing arms when retracting the front landing pads to tow. Verify you don't have anything in the front of your RV, like mine, that'd prevent them from installing it for you.

Would LOVE to have a set of these on my RV tho.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Although I was planning to install these, they will not work on the Sabre fifth wheel RV's. This is all due to the location of my two battery boxes. Both boxes are recessed (side by side) into the front floor area of my basement storage right behind the pinbox. The boxes hang below the outer floor of the RV by three or four inches and would be in the way of the stabilizing arms when retracting the front landing pads to tow. Verify you don't have anything in the front of your RV, like mine, that'd prevent them from installing it for you.

Would LOVE to have a set of these on my RV tho.

We have a Sabre 36BHQ and I installed a set of strong arms on it. Yes the battery box is in the way when your landing gear is retracted. But all I do is remove that one arm before we load up and go...I have seen you can move the battery box back a few inches to clear, but i didn't want to go that route. Doing it the way I do takes about 5 min or less when getting ready and the same time or less when setting up.....for what you get as far as stabilization its worth it. We have a washer and dryer up front and it took almost all of the noticeable shake out of the entire trailer.
Clint243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint243 View Post
We have a Sabre 36BHQ and I installed a set of strong arms on it. Yes the battery box is in the way when your landing gear is retracted. But all I do is remove that one arm before we load up and go...I have seen you can move the battery box back a few inches to clear, but i didn't want to go that route. Doing it the way I do takes about 5 min or less when getting ready and the same time or less when setting up.....for what you get as far as stabilization its worth it. We have a washer and dryer up front and it took almost all of the noticeable shake out of the entire trailer.

Thanks for that info, Clint! So, what's involved in removing the front drivers side arm? I thought these were bolted with a torque wrench into the upper arm support and on the leveling pad leg.

And, yeah, I saw someone with a YouTube video where they moved their battery boxes back a few inches and got the needed clearance. Like, you, I also really don't want to cut away the metal bottom of the basement storage to move the boxes back and make it fit.

Damn!....if it ain't too much work to move that one arm, you may have talked me into yet another upgrade. I REALLY need to stop with the mods and upgrades to my RV.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:

Clint, one more question.....I'm pretty sure I measured the distance between my front stabilizer legs a couple years ago when I was originally gonna buy these. The kit I think I needed was the one for standard fifth wheels, which is 191023. I'm guessing this is the same kit you installed on your 36BHQ, correct?
Old 05-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

Honesty I just snug mine up when I put the one arm back on. The nuts are nylon capture nuts...and I didn't use a torque wrench when I installed them to begin with. As far as what's involved, It's really just two bolts and washers and two nuts....takes nothing at all with the small impact I carry.

The kit I ordered was from amazon and the part was the same as you quoted 191023. These by far made the biggest improvement over all we had done which was wheel chocks and then the expandable chocks and also added supports under the living room kitchen and spare bedroom slide....I don't think you can go wrong and the install was pretty easy and took ma e couple of hours one evening..
Old 05-09-2022, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Honesty I just snug mine up when I put the one arm back on. The nuts are nylon capture nuts...and I didn't use a torque wrench when I installed them to begin with. As far as what's involved, It's really just two bolts and washers and two nuts....takes nothing at all with the small impact I carry.

The kit I ordered was from amazon and the part was the same as you quoted 191023. These by far made the biggest improvement over all we had done which was wheel chocks and then the expandable chocks and also added supports under the living room kitchen and spare bedroom slide....I don't think you can go wrong and the install was pretty easy and took ma e couple of hours one evening..

Ok, ok, you sold me....ordering a kit right now from Amazon before the prices go up. I'm surprised the price for this kit hasn't gone up from what I remember it a couple years ago.

I also remember the install not looking like its much but putting some self-tappers into the RV frame I-beam to secure the upper arm supports. I over-hauled and upgraded my Sabre with shock dampening equalizers, Comfort Master shock absorbers and a Morryde rubber pin box last year. I agree, this install should be a breeze by comparison....just gotta find the time to git 'r dun!

Thanks a bunch again, Clint!
Old 05-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #16

GPS 37FLH
One other thing I did when I put the front stabilizer supports that run towards the back of the trailer. I didn't use the self-tappers mine had enough nuts and washers to drill the hole and bolt them together.
On the rear stabilizing arms, I did use the self-tappers and they went on fairly easy once I drilled the pilot hole.

Any other questions I can help with I'll be happy to I have made a few other mods as well.... the latest was the RV airflow system in the main ac... The Jury is still out on that one....it does as advertised and it is quieter but not sure if the cooling is any better.... but then again it was 109° over the weekend.

And I'm glad I could be of some help

Clint
Old 05-09-2022, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
GPS 37FLH
One other thing I did when I put the front stabilizer supports that run towards the back of the trailer. I didn't use the self-tappers mine had enough nuts and washers to drill the hole and bolt them together.
On the rear stabilizing arms, I did use the self-tappers and they went on fairly easy once I drilled the pilot hole.

Any other questions I can help with I'll be happy to I have made a few other mods as well.... the latest was the RV airflow system in the main ac... The Jury is still out on that one....it does as advertised and it is quieter but not sure if the cooling is any better.... but then again it was 109° over the weekend.

Clint

Really appreciate all the good info from you, Clint! I'll send you a personal message if I have any other questions on the Strong Arms....looking forward to getting 'em installed this weekend and trying 'em out in a couple of weeks from now.

I too put in the RV Airflow system on both of my Mach 15's and so far have seen a big difference in how much air now moves thru our vents. Also, added a couple of Easy Start's to the AC's last month and been very happy with that mod as well. Between these two mods, plus installing a dark, nano ceramic window tint, my FLH will literally be the coolest one in the campgrounds this summer.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #18

Quote:
GPS 37FLH

Clint

Clint, one more thing I just thought of after watching a couple of YouTube videos on installing this kit. Does it come with all the mounting hardware for the rear stabilizer pads, or is there an additional kit that must be purchased? I have the LCI Ground Control 3.0 auto-leveling system with my FLH and I'm pretty sure your BHQ has the same thing. Looks like a rear jack kit may need to be added, according to the installation videos, but it's not clear. Please lemme know if you have an LCI part number of the kit, if it requires one.

Thank you again for the help good sir!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:56 PM   #19

Another satisfied Steadyfast user. 5er is rock solid with them engaged.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Another satisfied Steadyfast user. 5er is rock solid with them engaged.

Hope to be one too soon!

Ok, so I know for sure you have a fiver with a similar electric six point auto leveling system. Did you need to buy anything other than the Strong Arm kit, or were there additional adapter lugs and a swing bolt kit that allowed you to install the stabilizers on the rear leveling pads?

Tags
stabilizer, stabilizers