Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Surge Protection installed!!

I just installed the progressive industries hard-wired 30amp surge protector on my trailer. It took about four hours and was a ton of fun! It was a little hard getting those stiff wires maneuvered in such a small space though.

I installed the remote read-out on the wall in the main space, but down low so it's not an abnoxious distraction.

The only thing I would have done differently is mounted the main box about 1 foot over so that in the future it will be more accessible. Hopefully though I'll never have to access it again!
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

I just bought the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 to put in my 2014 Surveyor model 265RLDS. I am pretty handy around electricity and have wired homes etc., but I am at a loss on where to start to install this unit. I know where my power enters the camper but there is nothing showing how to get to the wires inside the camper. My unit has 2 opposing slides kitchen and dining area. Where do I start??
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
I just bought the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 to put in my 2014 Surveyor model 265RLDS. I am pretty handy around electricity and have wired homes etc., but I am at a loss on where to start to install this unit. I know where my power enters the camper but there is nothing showing how to get to the wires inside the camper. My unit has 2 opposing slides kitchen and dining area. Where do I start??
See what's inside the trailer in the area where the power cord enters the trailer and go from there. I got to the space where the cord comes into the trailer by removing the return air grill for my furnace. Your mileage may vary.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #4

I took a quick look where u suggest but nothing seen. My camper is also completely sealed up on the bottom. It is in my storage unit but I am bringing it home soon and hopefully I can figure this one out with the help of fellow campers here on the forum. Thanks!!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Go on YouTube and select search, put in: progressive surge protector and there is a 5 minute install video.
Progressive is located in North Carolina and is customer friendly.

Also: techno rv.com in Beaverton, Oregon has just changed hands. I bought mine from them ( former owner) I am sure you can get advice there as well. Young couple changed careers and are building the business. Pretty sure they want you as a future customer.

BTW, TechnoRV was an electronics vendor at last year's FR Rally in Goshen. I wound up buying the 50amp portable unit. Works great!
Look them up Monday and give them a call. Ps: I did not go hard wire as we change units every 3 years or so...
Retired and trips change and units as well!😆
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
Is it in that little cabinet next to the recliner? If not, I would start by getting behind the converter/circuit breaker box. Can you send pics?
mbCik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

Thanks everybody for the input!! I looked by the recliner but did not see anything. I did watch the videos but installation is not my problem. It is finding a place and the power wire to splice into. Like I said before my unit is in a dark storage place so I was using a flashlight and could have missed some stuff. I need to bring it home and put the slides out to get a better view of what is going on. I will update later. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
Explorer

I would start looking behind your breaker/fuse/converter box, this is where you’re A/C cord will come into.
Unplug from shore power, disconnect ground from battery and then pull out the box. You’llsee your shore power connects to the main breaker(30amp) . Should only be 6 screws, 2 for face and 4 holding the box in
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Surge Protection installed!!

Mine is behind the dresser in the bedroom. If you can find wherever your fuse/breaker box is and go from there. Installed mine in that same area. In mine I had to just pull out the drawers to access the back on the box and cut the orange (10/2) wire in a location that would work with the install of the progressive unit.. Fairly easy to due once you find the location...
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #10

Well my EMS is installed and working great but not without a lot of fussing and fuming. In my unit the circuit breaker unit is in the one bedroom on the wall. Behind that is the bathroom. I removed 2 panels in the bathroom and there lo and behold was not only my #10 wire coming from my shore power connection, but I discovered my water pump and my hot water tank. This area was so cramped there was no place to mount the EMS let alone you would not be able to read it since I did not have the remote control unit. So I had to buy some #10 2 wire romex w/ground and I pulled the wire from my breaker box, and attached that to my EMS input. Then I attached my piece of romex to the output and drilled 2 holes above my breaker box through the wall for the romex and mounted the EMS right above the breaker box. A bit funky with an inch or so of romex showing on both ends but it is mounted very firmly. It is not going anywhere. So then I plug the TT in with my shore power and it is reading an over voltage error. The voltage is reading 134 volts. I check the voltage with my meter and I am only showing 122 at the terminals. And the unit is keeping power away from my TT because of the high voltage. I think anything above 130 shuts it down. So now I am really baffled. So I make the call to Progressive Industries and they could not have been better to work with. They worked me through it step by step and never acted like they were in a hurry one time. There is even a way to bypass the circuit boards and make the relay kick in. Great to know if a board goes bad while u are camping. But even that did not give me any AC. By this time I am wringing with sweat and really tired so I call it a day and call Donald the next morning. In the mean time I discovered that some lights were showing on my entertainment console and I distinctly remember shutting off the battery with a switch I installed. Then I saw where I still had my truck wired up to the trailer. And it was feeding DC to some stuff. I unplugged it and guess what...as soon as I did that and plugged in my TT all the AC was working perfect. But it was still reading 133 volts. When I told Donald that he directed me to a small screw where I could set the voltage back to read what was on my volt meter. A couple of other tweaks and I am up and running. I never knew that when you have your truck hooked up to your TT that you cannot hook up your shore power and get AC inside. I guess it is a safety thing. But you live and learn and now I know. Like I said before Progressive Industries are great people. They did not leave me hanging and really went to the end with me to get me up and going. This whole thing was pretty frustrating and a lot of work but now I have no worries about voltage problems no matter where we camp.

Tags
led