Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 06:52 PM   #1

Synching Two TVs for Optimal Viewing

G’day folks. We have a Rockwood Roo which works well for our small family and “when not in use” storage constraints. There is a TV mounted above the dinette area which is fine for anyone sitting on the adjacent sofa. But when sitting at the dinette, it’s near impossible to see. (See attached floor plan pic).

Thinking about mounting another small tv above the window above the couch and somehow synching them.

My thought is putting a HDMI (for our fire stick) and coax splitter at the main tv, running one end into the main tv and then routing the other through cable channel material on the roof to the other tv. This way, I’m thinking, we can have sound through one tv or the installed speakers (which run from the main TV) and send the picture to the other.

Has anyone done anything similar? Did it work?

Did a search on the forum for “synch tv” with. I luck so if a thread exists already, feel free to call me out and point me in that direction.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32A1702E-1C18-40D8-BA44-0990D7F2D485.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	273394  
ThatGuyNamedLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #2

You may need to run an hdmi splitter. You plug the fire stick into that, and run 2 hdmi cords, one to each tv. You would need to get an all female, if you get one of those with a male for the input you won't be able to plug your stick in.
Vontriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:08 PM   #3

Right. For the hdmi, I was thinking something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Spl...s%2C118&sr=8-5

I assume no issues but I’ve never used one, so just checking if there is something I’m not considering.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Worth a try, but you may some sync ( audio/video) issues if the tv's are not identical. During the design of a tv, the hdmi audio/video decoders are set to accommodate for signal delays. Even though the same signal is being fed to both tvs there is a slight possibility the decoder delays could be different.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #5

That should work correctly. And flybob is right. Only thing I can think to negate that as much as you can is mute the one you aren't watching
Vontriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Worth a try, but you may some sync ( audio/video) issues if the tv's are not identical. During the design of a tv, the hdmi audio/video decoders are set to accommodate for signal delays. Even though the same signal is being fed to both tvs there is a slight possibility the decoder delays could be different.
Good thought. And I had planned on getting the same tv as comes standard. Sounds like it’s at least worth a try for only a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyNamedLee View Post
Right. For the hdmi, I was thinking something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-HDMI-Spl...s%2C118&sr=8-5

I assume no issues but I’ve never used one, so just checking if there is something I’m not considering.
This is the one I’ve been using for a couple years. It works great.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:39 AM   #8

My new Rockwood came with a coaxial cable running from the main TV area to the bedroom. I purchased a composite to coax rf modulator to connect my Walley. Works well. On my previous camper I used a HDMI spltter which also worked well. I have to believe that a HDMI splitter and a HDMI to coax rf modulator would also woek.
RStormC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:19 AM   #9

Wireless AV

I have used something like this wireless AV transmitter for several years to share a signal from my living room TV to the bedroom TV. It works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/AV220-Wirel...s%2C257&sr=8-4
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goferbroke View Post
I have used something like this wireless AV transmitter for several years to share a signal from my living room TV to the bedroom TV. It works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/AV220-Wirel...s%2C257&sr=8-4
I hadn't considered wirelessly transmitting.... hmmm. Though for some reason that particular model didn't get very good reviews. Something to consider though. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #11

+1 for going with an HDMI splitter. Splitters with an external power supply tend to work better than those powered by the HDMI cable. At least that's one man's opinion.

If your HDMI cables are longer than about 20 feet or so consider active cables. They have an amplifier in the source and of the cable and work over long distances. Monoprice.com is a good source. The higher end TVs have multiple modes such as Theater, gaming, etc. Most modes introduce processing latency, however a Gaming mode minimizes all processing so the action in more like real time so if you're interacting via a game controller there is no latency. I'd also have the audio muted on one TV just in case there is audio lag. Should all work out just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vontriple View Post
You may need to run an hdmi splitter. You plug the fire stick into that, and run 2 hdmi cords, one to each tv. You would need to get an all female, if you get one of those with a male for the input you won't be able to plug your stick in.
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote