Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Tabletop replacement Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109s

Has anyone ever attempted to remove the folding trestle legs on the 2109s table and replace the tabletop with a lighter surface?

We selected the 2109s floorplan for the comfort of the sofa and very open floor plan, and expect to dine outdoors whenever weather (or bugs) are not a problem. However the sheer weight of the table is hard on the back to remove from behind the sofa and then put away. Hard to get the leverage to do so while leaning over.

Our initial thoughts were to just ditch the table and pickup a couple of folding TV trays. But then I had the crazy idea that maybe there is a lighter weight table surface option that I can make myself or buy.

In my initial search I did stumble upon the website for American Stonecast Products, Inc., and have reached out to them for an estimate.

Any other ideas from the 2109s owner community?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #2

We have a 2304KS which comes with a dinette table with folding legs. We got tired of playing ‘footsie’ with the table legs when entering and exiting the dinette.

I purchased this table top from Ikea: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...4aArRoEALw_wcB . This table is black where the original table was a ‘mottled multi-color’.

I cut off a couple of inches from the Ikea, shortening the table length. The shortened Ikea table was then mounted on an adjustable height bar stool (after removing the seat).

As an added bonus the Ikea table was considerably lighter, perhaps this table top would work for your needs.

2017 Rockwood 2304KS
2017 F250 Lariat 6.2 4X4 Scab SB
ProPride 3P Hitch
Nights Camped 2016 = 31, 2017 = 59, 2018 = 79, 2019 = 78, 2020 = 50, 2021 = 61. 2022 = 84, 2023 = 68
pppitiful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #3

We have same trailer as yours that we bought used. We ditched the OEM table for the same issues you mentioned. It’s a garage work table now.

We bought this table at Costco.

It’s exceeded our expectations - light, adjustable heights, easy to move and store. We primarily use it outside in screen tent when camping. We’re Ok inside without a table most of the time.

https://www.lifetime.com/lifetime-80...ble-commercial
roligmue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #4

My OEM table is now a coffee table on my porch. I replaced it with two small (and light) folding tables from Amazon.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Our 2017 model folding table is really light weight. I think the table top is either hollow or some sort of lightweight honeycomb core. That said, right from the day we received the camper, we didn't want to deal with the table in the way or moving it in and out of storage behind the sofa which blocks the outside storage hatch. What we did was buy two of the largest wooden folding tray tables we could find and those have been great for the times we want to eat inside or just need tables. The ones we got are larger than the ones we have at home and when we're not using them they fit in the area between the wall and the bottom part of the bed.

The tables we got are 24" X 17"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

We got a folding table with adjustable legs so we could use like a dinning table or coffee table folds in half for easy storage behind the sofa.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #7

2109s table

Ours is a worktable now. We bought a couple tables from Walmart that are adjustable but we usually only use one of them. I built an ottoman that doubles as storage for each of us so we usually use one of the adjustable tables between them while we are watching TV. Works for us and we love all the room we have not having a dinette.
SeaMSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

We can't understand why such heavy tables are put in micro lites. The first thing we did was get rid of the table and bought aluminum ones for inside and out. We are "half timers", out 6 months a year.
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamMJR View Post
We can't understand why such heavy tables are put in micro lites. The first thing we did was get rid of the table and bought aluminum ones for inside and out. We are "half timers", out 6 months a year.

What year is your camper?

The table that came with ours is long and narrow, 55" long by only 18" wide, but very light for it's size. The top is not heavy MDF like typical tables on ours. It's thicker - at least 1 1/4" thick, but hollow inside with probably a honeycomb core and laminate on top. I can only guess on the weight, but I'd say ours is maybe 15 lbs?

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 PM   #10

Ray, ours is 2014. maybe the "gods" heard our cries and lightened up.
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamMJR View Post
Ray, ours is 2014. maybe the "gods" heard our cries and lightened up.

That makes sense. I remember hearing in this forum about the heavy table while our camper was on order from the factory and bought the two oversize tray tables before our camper even arrived. But when we got it, the table ended up being very light and I could lift it from behind the sofa with one arm. I think they also made it longer and narrower than the original heavier table. We still prefer the two tray tables though and never used the OEM table in the camper. I do use it at home pretty often though, it comes in handy.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #12

Table talk

Thanks RandK-M

Ours is a 2018 model year, but manufactured in June 2017. It's the 55"x18" table that I thought was standard on all the 2109s coaches (and the sister Flagstaff MicroLite model).

It feels heavy to my wife and I, but maybe it's as much the issue of being cumbersome to carefully lift up and over the top of the sofa that is the real problem--especially if I have to do it myself. Once set up in front of the sofa, it's not that heavy to move around, especially with two people.

I'm warming up to the eHemco TV tray tables you got, seeing that they are oversize but easy to stow individually (such as keep one out when only one is needed).

Bryan at American Stonecraft Products got back to me in my inquiry and it looks like the table he could build for me, with its own legs, would weigh in at about 18 lbs. I could get just the tabletop and move the legs from my table over, but the legs are going to be heavier.

About $115 for the tabletop, or $150 for the complete table.

I've attached some pictures he sent to share out with the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1508.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	211105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	211106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	211107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	211108  
Old 07-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #13

As soon as we got our 2020 2109s home the factory table went in the barn.

We use two smaller folding tables that are light weight and store behind the sofa.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-18-...?selected=true

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Saw those in Walmart but

My first impression was, where do you put your legs?

Looks like they were not really meant to be used as TV tray tables, unless you use them with short-side facing you, instead of wide-side facing you (which to me would be more natural given my body size and "wingspan"

Thanks for sharing, though.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

Walmart has others

Camping world has some also take a look at those.
I think we got one from Walmart and then bought one from Camping world.
We usually only use one btween us to put drinks and hold the plate but there is plenty room to set your plate down if you want or we can use both tables.
There is no (where to put your legs) issue with them as in the costco one in the post above. They are a few pounds each and fit easily behind the sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingQuest View Post
My first impression was, where do you put your legs?

Looks like they were not really meant to be used as TV tray tables, unless you use them with short-side facing you, instead of wide-side facing you (which to me would be more natural given my body size and "wingspan"

Thanks for sharing, though.
SeaMSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, lite, replacement, rockwood