Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #1

Tank Level Options

I'm interested in having more accurate tank level sensors.

I'm aware of SeeLevel (https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/), which seems to be the go-to. It seems way more complicated than needed, however. I mean, why does it need to tie into the pump? I just don't get it. Perhaps as an OEM system, but not "aftermarket".

Anyway, I just think something else has got to be out there. An add-on system that just needs 12V and you plaster it to the side of the tank(s). Then bluetooth to it, or something. Naturally, I've yet to find anything. I can't help think of the propane level sensors that just slap onto the bottom of the tank and bluetooth to your phone/app. Simple, fairly reasonably priced, etc.

I did find this though.....
Conductive strips and an arduino. Interesting.
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...fdc1004-9333c7

So I guess I post to see what other options there are. OR, has anyone done their own home-brew system?
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #2

I did a “home brew” system for the black and grey tanks last year. I used stick on sensors found on eBay. They are switches that light LEDs and I added buzzers for the full level. It’s completely separate from the OEM system. Sort of a backup system that’s better than the OEM.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

I like that Arduino project. I might have to try that on our new (to us) 5er.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I like that Arduino project. I might have to try that on our new (to us) 5er.
That's the spirit! It seems like it could be cool. I'd guess it to have Bluetooth. Maybe it could support 3 sets of sensors. I swear there's a product here for a properly motivated person. Or maybe it's just me (and you).
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

Can one of you guys stop by and crawl in my black tank for me?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Can one of you guys stop by and crawl in my black tank for me?
Why?
The answer is still no....
But why?

Everything we're talking about is external.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Ill need to do some research to figure out how a tank monitor works on the outside?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

I think it would be great if some sort of device could be made to announce "HEY, IT'S GETTING CROWDED IN HERE" the you lift the seat to the toilet and the level is shall we say, is full. Just a thought!
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

aceblank: I’m not sure if the Arduino works with Bluetooth. I don’t know enough about them.

I’m sure there’s a product here. Too bad I know less than nothing about bringing a product to market.

If I’m looking at it correctly, the breakout board used in the project can support 4 sensors. Not cheap though. $50 from India.

Kimber45: They work by reading changing capacitance.

CTGREG: I used a buzzer, but I guess you could get an Arduino to talk to you.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I did a “home brew” system for the black and grey tanks last year. I used stick on sensors found on eBay. They are switches that light LEDs and I added buzzers for the full level. It’s completely separate from the OEM system. Sort of a backup system that’s better than the OEM.
I missed your post somehow.
Your system uses discrete "is there fluid here" sensors positioned where you want them, right?

I'm wanting a percentage. 62% instead of "more than half, less than 3/4".

Granted, with the pancake tanks most of us have, a slight out of level condition changes things dramatically, too.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Your system uses discrete "is there fluid here" sensors positioned where you want them, right?
Yes. I used two on each tank. One for half and one for full. The motivation for these sensors was to set up a warning while filling the black tank with the tank flush. I’ve been flushing the black tank with a lot of water. A flashing LED with a buzzer that I can see and hear outside if the tank gets full. We also overflowed the grey tank once because the shower head was hanging down and dripping all night. It has a “tank is full” buzzer inside now.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #12

Tank sensor

Quote:
Could you expand on this? Sounds like something I would like to add. The buzzer at flush time is a great idea.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #13

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-144771-2.html

Try this thread. Post #16 and 17. Let me know if you need more info. The eBay link might be dated but the switches are available from other sellers.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
I missed your post somehow.

I'm wanting a percentage. 62% instead of "more than half, less than 3/4".

Granted, with the pancake tanks most of us have, a slight out of level condition changes things dramatically, too.

Check out iSeries by Tank Edge. They make systems that go by percentages. I’m on my third camper with the system and have never had an issue. Tech support is awesome as well. Only down side is running new wires to each tank. You use copper foil strips on the outside of the tanks. There are spots for your pump and water heater switch Che’s if you want but don’t have to use them.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
Check out iSeries by Tank Edge. They make systems that go by percentages. I’m on my third camper with the system and have never had an issue. Tech support is awesome as well. Only down side is running new wires to each tank. You use copper foil strips on the outside of the tanks. There are spots for your pump and water heater switch Che’s if you want but don’t have to use them.
Ooo. I like that.
If course, $100 cheaper sure would be nice.

Did you install it on all your rigs?
What about the propane level? They talk about an already installed something... that I don't have. The other propane level thing I want is like $80 or something, so that offsets it, perhaps (see, I can"justify" things).

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Ooo. I like that.
If course, $100 cheaper sure would be nice.

Did you install it on all your rigs?
What about the propane level? They talk about an already installed something... that I don't have. The other propane level thing I want is like $80 or something, so that offsets it, perhaps (see, I can"justify" things).

Thanks for the tip.

With the propane part of it, you need tanks that have the sending units in them. I never found any that have that.

As for installing the system myself, I did install them on each of my trailers. Some trailers were easier than others. For cost, I’ll pay the extra to not have to worry about over flowing black tanks.
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #17

Maybe?
Manchester Tank G12846 LP Gas Tank - Remote 90° OHM Sender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D3WPGS..._qktNAb8QB02B3

I'll probably email them to clarify exactly what I want and end up with this on my Christmas list....

Though a home brew of this is still on my radar.

Tags
tank