Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Jas

Thoughts on modifying surveyor rear bunk area

Has anybody else with a SV291 thought about modifying the lower rear bunk? Our problem is that you have to walk on the bunk to get to the rear wardrobe and/or get onto the upper bunk. If somebody is actually using the lower bunk a midnight rest room run from the youngun in the upper bunk could end with a lot of screaming from below.

The only real challange I forsee is that the drain line from the shower runs under the part of the bunk that I want to cut back. I'm think on decking over it and just having a 1 step raised floor in this area. There is an existing partition in line with the top bunk under this one and a fold seam in the matress in the same area so the bed itself should not be compromised just narower.

So I'm thowing it out there. Is there any tribal knowledge on this type of mod? Any words of warning besides "don't drill into the septic tank"?

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Jas

oh this might help.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SV-291.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	3251  

Old 08-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Has anybody else with a SV291 thought about modifying the lower rear bunk? Our problem is that you have to walk on the bunk to get to the rear wardrobe and/or get onto the upper bunk. If somebody is actually using the lower bunk a midnight rest room run from the youngun in the upper bunk could end with a lot of screaming from below.

The only real challange I forsee is that the drain line from the shower runs under the part of the bunk that I want to cut back. I'm think on decking over it and just having a 1 step raised floor in this area. There is an existing partition in line with the top bunk under this one and a fold seam in the matress in the same area so the bed itself should not be compromised just narower.

So I'm thowing it out there. Is there any tribal knowledge on this type of mod? Any words of warning besides "don't drill into the septic tank"?
I have a 235 rks with little wardrobe space. I recently installed a closet rod over the top of the shower head. We rarely use the space and I thought that it would be a great spot for extra hanging clothing or coats. I also made it removable. My kids are still small enough that they bath in the tub so that is why I made it removable. sorry I don't have pics yet... (kinda rushed when I finished)

cheers,

shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

You may want to look at the hinge for the flip up bunk on bottom. I am not sure how far over from the bunk door that hinge is. Without modifying that, the hinge will determine how much space you will have.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #5

We are just the opposite from your situation. With no kids, our upper bunk has never been slept in and I doubt it ever will be. Not by an adult anyway. It is used for storage.
If you do make lower bunk narrower, you may want to consider leaving a "cleat" on the bathroom wall and just having that section of the bed "removable" for the times when you may need a full size bed. The section of foam and board can easily be stored under the bed. Paint the cleat to blend in with your wall color.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Jas

I'm looking at the option of leaving the cleats for the occasional use rear bed. I may have to frame the removable section to get the strength restored along the exposed edge is all. In fact, I may have to template a 1 piece lid for the current trap door and triangle closure plate which will result in the same bed that is there now when the removable section is installed.

leaving the existing bulkhead and hinge wil lresult in an 18" walk way which is tight but navigable.