Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Toilet Shutoff Valve

finally got around to the "toilet shutoff valve" mod,..... since the tank level monitors aren't dependable, I look down thru the bowl to see black tank level but with the flush water flowing, it hinders me getting a good look, now can shut off that flow for a better look,.... two other benefits are (1) if we were to ever have a toilet valve leak, can now shut it off for repair or can control the use until we return home for repair, plus, (2) beneficial for boon-docking/dry camping where you can control water use at that source,.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0278.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	118822   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0279.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	118823   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0280.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	118824  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Good idea....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

How did you get that box open? Mine looks like it is stapled shut.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
How did you get that box open? Mine looks like it is stapled shut.
it is stapled together and is a two piece L shaped cover over the vinyl tubing,.... on mine that cover was then screwed into the back wall with three very long screws that went all the way thru that top board and into the back wall,.... I removed the whole cover and cut out the area where I wanted to place the valve and had to add two small pieces to support the back of the "lid",... I had a little trouble with a small leak so as you see it there, I just set the cover back in place without screwing it into the back wall, so I could remove the whole cover again if the leak reappeared,... it hasn't, and the cover stayed in place during our trip this past weekend, so I'm going to leave it sitting there without screws.... the "lid" is just sitting in place also,....

Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Always Learning

Love it. I've been wanting individual shut offs for all of my water outlets (toilets, sinks, shower, etc.). Haven't gotten around to doing it, though.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

I am not the best at this stuff. I wonder if I can cut an opening with a dermal or what he best approach is.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
I am not the best at this stuff. I wonder if I can cut an opening with a dermal or what he best approach is.
what you need to do to install that valve can not be done thru a small opening like is under that lid,...... the long wooden cover needs to be removed out of the way, it is just two boards, the front one and the top board,...... it is screwed into the back wall by three or four screws thru that top board and into the back wall, when they are removed the whole cover can be removed in one piece,...... then the tubing is accessible and you can do everything you need to do to install the valve,..... then cut the top lid at the correct position so the valve will be under it when the lid is removed,......

Old 09-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Thanks fella 10
Old 09-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

tool to open/close valve

Quote:
Thanks fella 10
AbdRahim,..... if you do this mod, I wanted to add this,.....trying to turn that valve handle, by reaching down into that small opening can be difficult,..... your valve may differ, but the valve I used is a 1/2" pvp valve from Lowes and I cut down/shortened the ears of the black handle so it could turn 90deg. inside that channel without a problem,..... I made the tool pictured below and can grab it in hand to turn the valve handle, I decided to not add a t handle at the top of the pipe so it would fit inside that channel and I could store it there with the valve,....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0298.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	119661   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0303.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	119662   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0305.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	119663  

Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

very creative
Old 09-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I just turn off the water supply spigot or water pump switch.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I just turn off the water supply spigot or water pump switch.
I suppose you're referring to me saying I check my black tank level by looking down into the tank and the flowing water hinders me getting a good look,..... if that is what your post is in response to, then yes, I could do as you say,.....

but its much simpler now to use the valve to shut off that flow for just a minute while I look into the tank,..... than it is, to be 10:00pm after my shower and I want to know if I need to dump the tank tomorrow and I have to get dressed, go outside w/flashlight, turn off the city water, come back into the bathroom, look at the tank level, go back outside w/flashlight and turn the city water back on,..... whew, I"m tired typing, much less having to do all that,.... its just easier now,......

but that is only one advantage of having that valve, there are two more that I mentioned before,.....1) if the toilet valve itself, ever starts leaking, that valve can isolate it without having to stop water usage from the whole trailer,... plus another advantage is, 2) it can also be helpful when dry camping if there is ever a need to be extremely restrictive on all water usage, with it you have complete control over the amount of water the toilet will use in that situation,

Old 09-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote