Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Tongue Jack ratings and updates

I am looking to replace a tongue jack on a trailer. I want to upgrade it to power. While it is not a travel trailer I think my question would apply to one as well and I figure many folks are in the same weight ranges and have already done the work.

How do you know what rating to get? The TW is maybe 500lbs max for the trailer. I was thinking in the 2k range. Should I get a higher rated Jack? If so how high? I figure there are times I would disconnect and the ball may stick so I will likely be lifting some of the truck weight as well. I do not use a WDH on it so I dont need to Jack it up attached for any reason.
I assume bolt on is good enough? They have bolt on Jacks at northern tool.

Sadly I will have to find someone to do the work because the existing Jack is welded on and I would not want to leave it there so unless I can cut it off with a sawzall I cannot remove the existing one but interested in what others have done on their TT regarding weight ratings.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote