Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #1

Tow vehicle mod

I have seen more and more folks putting inverters for there tow vehicle to run computers and other neat to have stuff

last year i added a 1750 watt inverter to my Ford, but its general and anyone could do it to their favorite brand
most mans. have a hybrid model in thier line up that has a 120 volt receptacle you can harvest to match your trucks interior panels

i used one from a ford escapee hybrid, the lableing is even the correct font.

i mounted my inverter down by the E brake on a bracket thats unused now that ford moved the engine computer to a new location in th 05 -07 trucks
08's i havent looked close enough but i am sure an easy spot is easy to find

i ran an extension cord from the inverter 120 volt output wrapped in loom and clamped in place along under the dash
the 12 volt power comes straight from the driver side battery via a 80 Blue sea amp fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	120 e.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	602   Click image for larger version

Name:	120 f.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	603   Click image for larger version

Name:	120 a.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	604  
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #2

too cool!! would this work for an 02 excursion?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKINWOOD View Post
too cool!! would this work for an 02 excursion?
yes sir
easy as falling off a log
the escape PLUG fits perfectly in that stupind panel with the little hook nobody uses. a little dremmel action and viola we have a fit
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 AM   #4

thanks for the info, the mrs would love hooking her computer up, just a couple questions, did you have to run a wire for the power 12v, and second did you buy the inverter from Ford or someone else? What was the cost, sorry so many questions , but I am very interested, thanks!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKINWOOD View Post
thanks for the info, the mrs would love hooking her computer up, just a couple questions, did you have to run a wire for the power 12v, and second did you buy the inverter from Ford or someone else? What was the cost, sorry so many questions , but I am very interested, thanks!!!
yes you have to run a pair of 6 or 8 guage wires from the battery through a fuse or circuit breaker (as close to the battery as possible in case of a short to the vehicle body/chassis)
i purchased the inverter from camping world as they had the best price at the time, i also use west marine as a great source for sturdy connectors and inverters and the fuse block, wire loom protector,
i purchased the wire at home depot, stranded 6 gauge one red one in black
west marine also has the wire.
if i remember correctly it was less than $150, plus a few hours work
inverter cost is directlty proportional to max surge power and continuous use power
most for example will be 1000 watts surge but only 250 watts continuous
i would add up all your wattages needs and then add 700 to it to decide what size you need, dont scrimp and buy an "elcheapo" at wally world.
i can run my shop vac off the inverter i have, its over kill to say the least.
the inverter will also come with a base set of 12v wires. these are designed for very short runs and if you mount your inverter more than 5 feet ( wire distance) you need to step up a gauge to ensure you have a good surce of HIGH amperage 12volts for the inverter and less voltage drop.

as for the 120 volt extension cord i purchsed a high quality 120 volt exstension cord and wrapped it in a plstic loom to protect from chaffing and then wired it to the escape factory plug with terminal ends.

i added a few more pics as well
one more issue about the high amp 12 vlt wiring
i wrapped the tow wires in elect tape, then covered them with plastic wire loom and wrapped that in electrical tape and it passes through the firewall through a rubber plug. you dnt want a 6 gauge wire contacting the metal bdy of the truck or your gonna do some arc welding, followed by a fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 133.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 134.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 135.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 139.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 141.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	609  

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

That is Way cool!
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #7

Thanks for all the info , this a definate future project, thanks for sharing!!!!