Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Canadian Camper

Towel Hangers/Dryers

I always have the same problem when camping and that's there is never enough place to hang towels or swimsuits to dry after the kids use them.

You can always use a clothesline but many places no longer let you tie on to trees and there is always the problem with rain.

I've come up with a solution, that attaches to the underside of the bunks where I can hang drying poles out of the rain

You will need (for each pole) (all available at home Depot) total cost 20$ (for 3 complete poles)
  • 2 x "s" hooks (no.1)
  • 2 x d-Rings (no. 3) and 5/8" wood screws (not shown)
  • 12" of chain (no 2)
  • a length of pole (no. 5) (aluminium or wood dowel)*

* NOTE if using dowels you will need to replace the 2 "s" hooks with 2 screw-on eye bolts to attach the chain.

Tools required
  • Hacksaw
  • Pliers
  • Screw Driver
  • Drill with 5/64" bit

Constructions is very simple, I bought an 8' (96") length of round aluminium thick tubing.* Using the hacksaw I cut it up into 3 lengths of 32" (you can cut up to any length that makes sense for you)

Using the drill I drilled a 5/64" hole at each end of the pole about 1/4" away from the end (no. 5 ).

Using the pliers I then made 6 equal lengths of chain (about 6" or 8 links in my case) by half opening the chain link (see the end of the chain at no. 6).* Leave the end link open this will be used to hook on to the D-rings under the bunks.

At the other end of the chain I inserted the "S" hook and crimped it closed using the pliers (see no. 4)

The other end of the "S" hook is inserted in the holes at the end of the poles and crimped closed using the pliers (See no. 6) - Repeat with another chain length at the other end of the pole.

Using the screwdriver install 2 D-rings under the bunk ends, spaced according to the length of your poles (32" my case here).* The d-rings are small enough so that they will not interfere when sliding the bunk ends closed, but you should take care to align them so that they will pivot flat when opening and closing the bunks.

You're Done. Crack open a cold beverage of your choice and enjoy

I store the poles under the mattress with the bunk support bars and install them at the same time as when I extend the bunks

The trailer is currently closed up but when I open it I will post pictures with the drying poles installed.

I thought I'd post this here as this can have other applications (like hanging a sign etc.)

Cheers
gygagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #2

I like this idea. I look forward to seeing the pics of them installed

2007 FOREST RIVER SURVEYOR 235RS
Good news guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Jan Goldfield

You have had a great idea. I too, would like a photo when installed.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote