Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 11:46 AM   #1

Question trying to swap out the sofa for theater seats

The wife and I just went through an expensive experiment trying to have Thomas Payne theater seats installed to replace the jackknife sofa in our Sunseeker Classic. It did not work, or should I say, the seats were installed, but to get into them, it was like Lilly Tomlin sitting in the oversized Adirondack chair, on the old Laugh-in TV Show!\
The sofa has a notch in the side arms which allows the front of it to hang over the edge of the slide floor and hide it. The chairs sit on top and there is nothing to hang down to hide the floor, or lower the seating position.
I know theater seats were an option of= n the 2860 model class C. Anyone who has this model with the theater seats, did Forest River have special frames built for their optional theater seats so the window is not covered and the seat sit at a normal height?

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #2

Bought the RecPro Charles 70" dual recliners for our 2006 Sunseeker 2860DS. I had it drop shipped to my dealer and they installed it. Replaced the factory jack knife sofa.

The dealer took the valance off the jack knife sofa and retro fitted it, attaching it to the leading edge of the slideout room floor. So the decor of the existing valances in the coach is again carried out.

Yes, the seat height is a little taller. I am 5' 10" and my wife is 5'9". Not a major issue we got used to it. I did a lot of research on the dual recliners dimensions and seat height before I bought it and conferred with my dealer before hand. I knew there would be differences and that jack knife sofa seating height was way way too low.

I had lvp flooring installed at the same time.

Hope this example helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210825_111016.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	267732Click image for larger version

Name:	20210825_110757.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	267733
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #3

Here's the entry well step and hand rails I added to our 2860DS.

Sounds like your inspired to add a step to make it easier to get in and out of your new recliners. Btw, the leading edge of my raised slideout room with the dual recliners on it is hefty lumber and I believe will easily accommodate fasteners for a cantilever or other step stool design. I sort of envision it being fairly lightweight yet plenty sturdy anyways.

Well, here's the entry step I added and the handrails. It's all pocket screw and glue constructed. Entry step doubles as storage with piano hinged top. For the handrails I found the dinette back and seat was very easy to open up and 1x6 pine boards were added as handrail backers as well as a few metal L brackets to keep it steady.

We love both mods. The step height in the entry well was over 10", now it's about 5". Did have to give up some foot placement space but worth it. Attached by 4 heavy duty velcro hook and loop tapes and it hasn't budged in 3 seasons but would be removable

I did the handrails for my wife but I find myself using them all the time getting out especially

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091312.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	267745Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091246.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	267746
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote