Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

TT back up camera

Looking into the idea of a back up camera for the travel trailer not necessarily for when driving on the road but for backing up into campsites
Looking into the idea of a back up camera for the travel trailer not necessarily for when driving on the road but for backing up into campsites. Is it worth it?is it not worth it? wireless? wired? what suggestions do you have and what has worked for you? We have a FR wildwood x-lite 230bhxl. Not sure if it’s pre wired for a rear camera. Thanks for any advice.
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Team

There are literally hundreds of threads on this. A quick search will get you weeks of reading.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There are literally hundreds of threads on this. A quick search will get you weeks of reading.
X2. There have to be at least 2-3 that are being posted to right now!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

What kind of truck do you have? If you have an Ford, you may have a possible setup to integrate it in to the Sync system. Otherwise, like said above, there are hundreds of threads on this.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
What kind of truck do you have? If you have an Ford, you may have a possible setup to integrate it in to the Sync system. Otherwise, like said above, there are hundreds of threads on this.
Never seen anyone connect the Sync system eith an aftermarket camera. Maybe if it was hardwired.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-20-2020, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrxaide View Post
Looking into the idea of a back up camera for the travel trailer not necessarily for when driving on the road but for backing up into campsites
Looking into the idea of a back up camera for the travel trailer not necessarily for when driving on the road but for backing up into campsites. Is it worth it?is it not worth it? wireless? wired? what suggestions do you have and what has worked for you? We have a FR wildwood x-lite 230bhxl. Not sure if it’s pre wired for a rear camera. Thanks for any advice.
I have a 2018 230bhxl like yours. Mine was pre-wired for a Furrion camera. I bought the Haloview 7108. It fits and works perfect. I use it like my rear view mirror going down the road.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Never seen anyone connect the Sync system eith an aftermarket camera. Maybe if it was hardwired.
You are correct. No aftermarket with Ford. But OP didn't specify which camera, so I was throwing the Ford option (meaning getting the Ford camera) if they had the right truck.

As for the rest, I actually have not used mine at a campground yet. The only one I've been to since I've had my camera was a pull-thru, so I didn't need it. But I have used it several times backing into my driveway. It has helped a lot there, mostly getting the 5th wheel started in the driveway. I have a narrow road and deep ditches I need to avoid. Always an experience.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 06-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Retired Member

I find mine is more helpful on the road when checking traffic around me. Have not mastered backing using camera but still trying. Have only had for one season. Backed for 40 years without one!
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #9

You will have the advantage of a rear view vision and backing if you go with a rear view camera system. Once driving with a rear view of what is in the blind spot of the TT, you will never regret the choice. A rear view camera gives you knowledge of what a tailgater is going to do and is a great advantage when changing lanes. Our first rear view camera was on a cargo trailer and it was hardwired to the head unit. For TTs, wireless may be a better choice.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Why not point the reader in the right direction to view those threads
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Why not point the reader in the right direction to view those threads
Because it would take me a long time to list them because there are so many to list, whereas a quick search would list them all in mere seconds. I can't compete with computers and software.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Because it would take me a long time to list them because there are so many to list, whereas a quick search would list them all in mere seconds. I can't compete with computers and software.
Must have misunderstood. I'll check and see if I can find one or two.
Sorry
Old 06-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #13

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-180290.html
Old 06-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

One thing for the OP that I learned in my recent threads on this topic. So far it appears that if you want to see things up close for backing into a site and adjust the camera angle for that, you may see very little of the traffic behind you. That's the results I found with the camera we bought and it seems to be that way for most. My system came with two cameras so I'm thinking of using the 2nd one for the backup view...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
You are correct. No aftermarket with Ford. But OP didn't specify which camera, so I was throwing the Ford option (meaning getting the Ford camera) if they had the right truck.
Actually, incorrect. There are 3rd party wired options that will work with Sync, but you best not be scared to modify APIM codes to enable it in Sync with something like Forscan. Caveat being you can only have 1 backup camera operational and it needs to be Sync 3 and not Sync 2.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
Actually, incorrect. There are 3rd party wired options that will work with Sync, but you best not be scared to modify APIM codes to enable it in Sync with something like Forscan. Caveat being you can only have 1 backup camera operational and it needs to be Sync 3 and not Sync 2.
I have not heard or seen a third party, but I sure won't argue it either. I have Forscan and have done some modding with it, but not much. It is a little scary when you get in and start messing with that stuff.

Any links to those cameras??
Retired AF MSgt

Old 07-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #17

I can't comment on cameras specifically, but my F250 XLT did not come with GPS. So I started looking at replacing the head unit with something that can run RV GPS as well as the other modern amenities. As it turns out there is a box that can be wired in called iDatalink Maestro which apparently translates data from Factory/OEM (including sync) to aftermarket head units. I've been looking at a Kenwood that has multiple camera inputs, so I don't see why you couldn't set up an observation camera and your truck's backup cam.

Anybody else have experience here?
Old 07-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_matt View Post
I can't comment on cameras specifically, but my F250 XLT did not come with GPS. So I started looking at replacing the head unit with something that can run RV GPS as well as the other modern amenities. As it turns out there is a box that can be wired in called iDatalink Maestro which apparently translates data from Factory/OEM (including sync) to aftermarket head units. I've been looking at a Kenwood that has multiple camera inputs, so I don't see why you couldn't set up an observation camera and your truck's backup cam.

Anybody else have experience here?

Was going to say, a Kenwood head unit has multiple camera inputs for older vehicles. I have it in my 2012 F350, so could add a hardwired camera, and further more, you could buy the new Ford Trailer camera/TPMS wiring harness, and truck socket to get it in the truck, then wire it to the head unit. Doesn't even need to be a Ford truck to do this. The part number is LC3Z1A189D, its the entire harness and the camera, but it is up to $600 for the kit and then you need to either get the connector for the truck or make one up to tap into the truck.

Then again the Furrion isn't cheap either and you would still have to get a separate TPMS kit, so if you are good at wiring up a truck, the Ford harness might be a good idea, provided you can find one, they are on national backorder.

The one question I have though, just bought a new Arctic Wolf and did not find any documentation on the prep package. Is there any, or does that come with the camera itself.

Found a picture of the full kit, includes the plugs for the truck

Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Was going to say, a Kenwood head unit has multiple camera inputs for older vehicles. I have it in my 2012 F350, so could add a hardwired camera, and further more, you could buy the new Ford Trailer camera/TPMS wiring harness, and truck socket to get it in the truck, then wire it to the head unit. Doesn't even need to be a Ford truck to do this. The part number is LC3Z1A189D, its the entire harness and the camera, but it is up to $600 for the kit and then you need to either get the connector for the truck or make one up to tap into the truck.

Then again the Furrion isn't cheap either and you would still have to get a separate TPMS kit, so if you are good at wiring up a truck, the Ford harness might be a good idea, provided you can find one, they are on national backorder.

The one question I have though, just bought a new Arctic Wolf and did not find any documentation on the prep package. Is there any, or does that come with the camera itself.

Found a picture of the full kit, includes the plugs for the truck

I did something very similar. I wired a Boyo rear license plate camera to a Pioneer in-dash head unit. Then ran a second wire harness to a connector just above the TV hitch. The trailer was wired using a Rear View Safety camera and terminated at the hitch. As I recall, the camera, wiring, umbilical, and plugs were part of a kit.

More recently, I installed another Pioneer head unit in a 2012 Jeep Liberty. That was solely for a backup camera. That install gave me cat fits, because I knew it was wire right per RCA plug color code. Or I thought I did. Turned out that the video feed (yellow) did not go to video input yellow on the head unit. It was yellow camera feed to brown RCA input on the head unit. Sometimes, it pays to read the instructions. There is a first time for everything.

The pictures show the TV and trailer connections. The connector on the TV was mounted in a modified hitch receiver cover insert. It fit perfectly between the bumper and the hitch and looks like it was made to be there (actually, it was). The umbilical cord came in a kit. The pictures show it attached to the trailer, but is totally removable. You might also note that the very front portion of the trailer hitch is painted white. When backing up with a rear view camera, it stands out against the black. It make it much easier to align on the hitch. I tried other colors, but white was the best. I have done this with all our trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103764.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	233840   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103765.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	233841   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103767.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	233842   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3103768.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	233843   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4123883.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	233844  

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #20

I did something similar(I know a bit off topic, but good idea nonetheless) on the socket for my last trailer. Painted a bold white stripe down the middle. My truck has the backup assist in the camera screen so I just had to align the center ball reference mark with the white stripe and it lined the ball up perfectly.

Back on topic, One time I picked up a Rand Mcnally backup camera for $25, thinking I could use it on my trailer, but the signal was so weak that I lost it halfway back to the truck. 28' long trailer and got 14'. So much for that idea. I did find another potential use for it though, going to see if I can mount it behind the cab and face the fifth wheel since I can't see it while backing to the trailer. It is app based so can use a tablet or phone with it. Would have been perfect for the trailer.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera