Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #1

Turned a worthless lazy susan into pull out drawer

Under the sink of my Rockwood Mini Lite 2506s was a worthless open lazy susan. If you put anything on there while traveling down the road, it wouldn't stay on the shelf. I also needed a place to put a garbage and recycling. So this is what I came up with.

album

I used pocket screws and glue for all my joints. I ended up putting a back on the drawer slide braces, I used solid pine I had laying around, if I did it again, I would have used plywood for sure. The box is made from 1/2" birch plywood.
nal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #2
"On the road again"

Nice job - excellent work. And certainly more useful than the lazy susan.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

Very Nice! Wish I had one to convert!
GulfHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Looks very nice.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
Too old to be too smart

Don't wish to be thought of as a Debbie Downer, and this is NOT some kind of troll, but.....

Though the craftsmanship is indeed superb, and I send kudos for that, I wonder why you didn't simply remove the Lazy Susan and be done with it. You would have ended up with even MORE usable storage than what you now have, albeit not in the form of a drawer.

The use of pocket screw joinery has its place, but I don't see that here for most of its use.

Again, not intending to troll, and my previous posts on this forum should bear that out.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

Very nice job and looks like it will hold up to anything you can throw at it. Shame they dont build the cabinets that good!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
Under the sink of my Rockwood Mini Lite 2506s was a worthless open lazy susan. If you put anything on there while traveling down the road, it wouldn't stay on the shelf. I also needed a place to put a garbage and recycling. So this is what I came up with.

album

I used pocket screws and glue for all my joints. I ended up putting a back on the drawer slide braces, I used solid pine I had laying around, if I did it again, I would have used plywood for sure. The box is made from 1/2" birch plywood.
Well thought out and excellent work in my opinion. Now if I could find a place for something like that in the 26RR ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Don't wish to be thought of as a Debbie Downer, and this is NOT some kind of troll, but.....

Though the craftsmanship is indeed superb, and I send kudos for that, I wonder why you didn't simply remove the Lazy Susan and be done with it. You would have ended up with even MORE usable storage than what you now have, albeit not in the form of a drawer.

The use of pocket screw joinery has its place, but I don't see that here for most of its use.

Again, not intending to troll, and my previous posts on this forum should bear that out.

Pop
Pop ~ If you look at pics 7, 8 & 10 ~ I believe you can see day light from a hatch opening (though I'm not familiar with this unit) and if so, no lost space in reality and things still sliding around when on the road.
As for the pocket screws & glue, I'd trust that build much better than nails & glue in a unit that's always be moved around (on the road) or being pulled in and out on the slides.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Pop ~ If you look at pics 7, 8 & 10 ~ I believe you can see day light from a hatch opening (though I'm not familiar with this unit) and if so, no lost space in reality and things still sliding around when on the road.
As for the pocket screws & glue, I'd trust that build much better than nails & glue in a unit that's always be moved around (on the road) or being pulled in and out on the slides.
Yes, to the right of it there is access from the outside, I keep a lot of my setting up stuff there. To the left is some open space, I put the sink cover/cutting board over there while we are camping. There is done wasted space, but that kitchen has plenty of storage.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Well thought out and excellent work in my opinion. Now if I could find a place for something like that in the 26RR ~~
Thank you
Old 09-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #10

You did a really nice job with your mod. I have a Rockwood 2608WS and it came with not 1, but 2 lazy susans (one in the overhead cabinet over the sink and the other under the sink like you had). When I decided to purchase my TT the first thing I said was the lazy susans have to go. They are a total waste of space. Because I am not as handy with wood as you are, I purchased plastic storage units that I now use. I have much improved space that is usable instead of useless lazy susans. Great job!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
You did a really nice job with your mod. I have a Rockwood 2608WS and it came with not 1, but 2 lazy susans (one in the overhead cabinet over the sink and the other under the sink like you had). When I decided to purchase my TT the first thing I said was the lazy susans have to go. They are a total waste of space. Because I am not as handy with wood as you are, I purchased plastic storage units that I now use. I have much improved space that is usable instead of useless lazy susans. Great job!
Sounds like you figured out a solution and probably a cheaper solution. Ya, I used it for a week long camping trip we did last year, but that was the only time.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #12

Great Mod

I really enjoy seeing what other people have come up with to customize little things. It gives me inspiration, thank you for sharing.
AlexinCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #13

Too bad some people have to be negative.........Personally you did a "GREAT" job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #14

Before I Traded in my TT for an RV, I converted it into my Master Electrical Cabinet, complete with a battery bank under the cabinets to the left. I was 100% off-grid capable! BTW, That is all I have done using my TT and now RV. ________ to all the naysayers stating what a useless effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mec sm.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	151753  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #15

Great Job!

We ditched our lazy Susan after our first trip. The screws came out, the lazy Susan tilted and spilled everything all over the cabinet. I said, "Sorry, Suzy. You've got to go!" We use the space for additional storage now. Forget what the naysayer said. You did a GREAT JOB!
GeauxCajuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #16

Why wrap the drain pipes with plastic ?
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaholic View Post
Why wrap the drain pipes with plastic ?
Hmmmm, Electricity & H2O - Answer your Question?
Old 09-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

80% of houses have electrical devices underneath the sinks , never seen plastic covering plastic pipes ! Hmmmmmmmmmm. No you did not answer my question
modaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by modaholic View Post
80% of houses have electrical devices underneath the sinks , never seen plastic covering plastic pipes ! Hmmmmmmmmmm. No you did not answer my question
I wasn't going to reply - sarcasm is irritating, me included, but it seemed so obvious to me if you look at it full size. water can leak from the fittings, the "surrounding hose" will catch it and bring it over to the vertical pipe for observation and to run down without entering into electrical items.

There are no electrical items under sinks except disposals and their design does the same thing. If anyone has anything electrical there, .... beware.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
We ditched our lazy Susan after our first trip. The screws came out, the lazy Susan tilted and spilled everything all over the cabinet. I said, "Sorry, Suzy. You've got to go!" We use the space for additional storage now. Forget what the naysayer said. You did a GREAT JOB!
Thank you! Ya, it's a stupid idea. Did your screws pop out while traveling or while camping? To know it didn't even do it's job really makes it stupid.