Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

TV Antenna for A-frame

We have purchased a Rockwood A122S hardsided pop-up. While it comes wired for cable TV, there is no antenna for pulling in TV stations. Has anyone done anything like this and is it working?
Kent
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Bad news: I would certainly not try to install anything on the roof - cabling and mounting hardware nightmare. Seems like something mounted to the tongue would be the best bet. A whip antenna could probably be clamped to the roof channel - but wouldn't pull in enough signal from any distance.

Good news: There is very little metal in the roof sections, so a pole mount on the tongue wouldn't have to be as high as the roof. Signal should penetrate the roof and sides pretty well. Ideally, you will be able to rotate a high gain antenna for best signal.

Issues to consider:

1. How well will the antenna, mast, and mounts stand up to wind? This is a serious concern in Colorado and other nearby states.

2. You will likely want an amplifier or a combined antenna/amplifier with a coax output to feed into the camper cable input. The amplifier has a small power draw.

We haven't any of this with ours - no TV, and rarely any radio or music when we are camping. But different strokes for different folks.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

TV Antenna for A122S

Fred, thanks for the reply. We are not TV addicts. We usually watch it just for the news every evening. While in Florida for 7 weeks, we missed a lot, not least of all watching our UW Badgers get to the final game! A fellow in another campsite had an Esky HG981 antenna, mounted on an adjustable mast attached to the side of his travel trailer. The antenna was working well for him. My thought was to possibly mount something like that to (or through) the lifting handle on the roof, then connect it to the cable tv outlet on the side of the box to get the signal inside to the set. Anyone see problems with such an arrangement?
Kent
Old 04-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #4

I have a son attending Nebraska so watching the Badgers play is not my past time - unless the Huskers are beating them (rarely happens these days).

Sounds like you have a good plan, especially if the windage is minimized. When I lived in Florida, the occasional wind violence of the thunderstorms was surprising. I would carefully pad anywhere the mast or antenna could contact the camper - especially the inside of the lifting handle. Those hollow foam tubes for swimming pool use make good pads for not much money. Easy to slit or cut to fit.

For maximum signal strength, select an antenna with a coax output. This will match impedance with the coax line. If the antenna has a different output, you will need a small transformer to match impedance to the coax.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #5

My solution a Powered antenna an eyebolt in the bumper channel master antenna poles. Works with my 12DDSST. Solid in the wind, also use a boost tire flag pole base I have lying around. Picture will follow when I have it set up at a camp ground.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

I'm very interested in the answers, too. I have a Rockwood aframe, and want to get local weather, as I'm a kayaker.
I bought one of those square plastic antennas for campers, that mounts in the window with suction cups. It cost around $50. and doesn't work well.
Paddle whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #7

TV Antenna for A122S

Yes, I tried one of those square things that mount in the window and had the same experience.
Kent
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

can you send me photos of your antenna and mounting ideas

mail4marieshort@bellsouth.net

thanks
Paddle whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle whisperer View Post
I'm very interested in the answers, too. I have a Rockwood aframe, and want to get local weather, as I'm a kayaker.
I bought one of those square plastic antennas for campers, that mounts in the window with suction cups. It cost around $50. and doesn't work well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Yes, I tried one of those square things that mount in the window and had the same experience.
Kent
Just curious if you tried the Winegard amplified Rayzar or something else?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #10

RV Antenna

Paddle Whisperer, I'll be happy to send pix when I get the thing set up and know if it works.
Kent
Old 04-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #11

Once I have tested my rig a little more will send pics to the A Frame forum. You guys may on want to join. Also if you are on face book there is an A Frame forum that is closed, but you can join. Great ideas for mods both places.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, antenna, frame