Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Under Step Storage on Heritage Glen 356QBQ

This was on the list of mods to do and finally got it finished up and installed on the weekend. Basically, it removed the old steps going up to the main bedroom and washroom area and replaced them with a newly constructed set made from 3/4 plywood. The upper step goes all the way to the floor as does the first step compared to the originals which were permanently screwed down providing no storage. I stripped all the old carpet from the old ones and reinstalled it on the new ones. Happened to have a piece of carpet that was used a door mat that came with the trailer and covered the lower front side of the new steps with that. Looking forward to coming in the door of the trailer and dropping shoes, etc. into the deeper one and using the other to hold dogs food, plastic bags, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131006-00146.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	40739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131006-00147.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	40740  
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Nice job. Did I notice accent lighting where the risers meet the treads?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #3

No Accent lighting

Not a chance at this point. The trailer is in storage and I went out and installed the new steps...took a pic from the door with my phone and the highlighted areas are what I couldn't block the sun from shining on. Not to say my son who loves creating gadgets that require power wouldn't be up to modding our trailer too...only problem is when he starts it could end up lit up like the New York skyline.
Vtxguypei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

hahahahah....I know, it's an addiction.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

That's really nice. How did you get the factory treads up? I want to install accent lighting on mine.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

factory treads removal

Guess the easiest way to explain is to say I did the top one first and went in with the attitude they are going to be replaced with new construction so nothing to lose. I slid a small prybar in under the top tread to find the screws that were holding the tread portion on and gently popped them out of the 2x2 spruce frame that FR had constructed. But you could easily find them by searching through the carpet with a good magnet and then unscrew them. Basically it is two boxes built as two pieces and screwed together. The upper step was one and the lower one fills the whole lower cavity of the step space...top one screwed to the lower one from inside under the upper tread...so once you remove the upper tread you can see the screws to remove it from the lower one. The screws were around the back and sides of the upper and lower treads about 8 to 12 inches apart roughly. I have attached pix of the to structures which will make things clearer I am sure. The lower one has a piece of 1/2" ply as its top or tread. If you are removing them I did undo some of the trim above the upper step and slid them up and onto the floor outside the bathroom at which point I could flip them up and remove but if you only wanted to remove the treads to get inside then do the magnet thing and you won't damage the existing steps. There is nothing hidden inside them and the back wall that has the carpet on it has a 2x2 stud in the center area they are screwed to as well. I had my son remove the panel from inside the front storage hatch to see what was hidden behind and there was nothing other then a piece of panel board with three 2x2 mini studs behind the step area. If you look close at the pix you can see the holes where the screwholes are. Any questions PM or post back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131007-00148.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	40753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131007-00149.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	40754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131007-00150.jpg
Views:	134