Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Upgrading WiFi

Has anyone upgraded or worked around the one control hotspot? I would like a better solution that doesn’t lock me into their high data rate. Any reason I couldn’t add in a net gear nighthawk with the rooftop wifi extender?
Mcb14230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. What rig do you have. I cannot answer your question but we have some real experts on the forum that I'm sure will chime in give it some time.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #3

I'll speak on my experience. I got another line with 50 gb a month through T-Mobile, and a travel router that rebroadcasts that hotspot. I have no complaints about it
Vontriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are using cell service for your internet which is much better than campground wifi. There are lots of videos on YouTube by both vendors and folks who have installed aftermarket products. They range from Mifi devices to full-on mobile routers with two SIM card slots and lots of options for indoor and outdoor antennas, too.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:05 AM   #5
Retired Panpsychist

For up-to-date and unbiased internet connectivity information, reviews and data plan evaluations, go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center. Great info and lots of videos!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #6

Cable internet anyone?

One aspect I have not seen a lot written about is to use ‘cable’ internet at the campground.

Obviously depends on how long you are staying and may only make sense if a seasonal, but it does exist. Since most (all?) TV cable providers also provide internet, you can get it. The key is to understand that from the TV cable provider’s perspective your site is akin to an apartment. In fact, if you call the cable company and explain what you are looking to do, they will more than likely say ‘not possible’ as they will get all confused when you start to explain you are at a campground / RV park. This is because you are talking to the department that only does individual houses. You need to talk to the (in Spectrum’s lingo) “Community Sales”. Its these folks that deal with apartment building and from the cable company’s perspective your campground is same as an apartment building.

We are seasonals and on our second year of having our own internet & WiFi and we love it. We can now work remotely without worry and the hassle of having to lug our laptops to the community center.

Here is the post I did on this topic: https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-211153.html

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.
ESGWheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi