Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 05:30 AM   #1
I Break Everything

USB Drive for songs on 351DS Outside

On our 351DS I was able to get behind to the outside radio - Jenson MS30. That little round outdoor stereo. While reading the instructions I noticed there was a USB input, but it's on the back. There is virtually no way to get to it without taking some things apart.

Going up the entrance steps to the left is a fire extinguisher. I took the housing off, just six screws, and "presto", I could reach to the back of the stereo. I was able to plug in a 6' USB extender cord.

Now everyone travels with their own mix on a thumbdrive full of songs. 16g thumbdrive will hold hundreds of songs, just plug it in and stereo recognizes it on it's own.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #2

I'd love to see pics.

2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH

2001 Rockwood Freedom 2280 popup <--For Sale
JTHale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
I Break Everything

Will do, I'm headed out to do some other mods as well. I also replace the Jensen stereo on the dash with one that has a USB through the front.

2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #4

I'm not familiar with what kinda camper you have but since you said dash does that mean you have some kinda drive rv? I have a bumper pull travel trailer and our stereo has an auxiliary input that takes a 1/8" headphone style plug. I've been considering getting a Bluetooth adapter to hook up to that input so my wife and I can play music from our phones over the camper stereo.

2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH

2001 Rockwood Freedom 2280 popup <--For Sale
JTHale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
On our 351DS I was able to get behind to the outside radio - Jenson MS30. That little round outdoor stereo. While reading the instructions I noticed there was a USB input, but it's on the back. There is virtually no way to get to it without taking some things apart.

Going up the entrance steps to the left is a fire extinguisher. I took the housing off, just six screws, and "presto", I could reach to the back of the stereo. I was able to plug in a 6' USB extender cord.

Now everyone travels with their own mix on a thumbdrive full of songs. 16g thumbdrive will hold hundreds of songs, just plug it in and stereo recognizes it on it's own.

Dies the 6' USB cable you installed stick out through the fire extinguisher housing?
San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

That was does, not dies.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
I Break Everything

Here are a couple of pictures.

Yes, Mine does hang out for now. We're headed out in a few days, we'll be gone for a month, so I'm going to use it like that for now. However I did see some wall mount USB ports I'll probably install later. It's 6', I have it pulled up on the kitchen counter kinda wrapped around the point the window blinds attach to the wall. Not the best solution, but it keeps it out of the way of traffic.

Wall mount: and there are lots of others http://www.prettypurpledoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wallplate.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures. The actual stereo module and the access point is behind the fire eqstinquisher. Reaching behind is kinda of pain, but doable. Just plug in your USB and it turns on automatically, starts playing songs.
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	80944

2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
Here are a couple of pictures.

Yes, Mine does hang out for now. We're headed out in a few days, we'll be gone for a month, so I'm going to use it like that for now. However I did see some wall mount USB ports I'll probably install later. It's 6', I have it pulled up on the kitchen counter kinda wrapped around the point the window blinds attach to the wall. Not the best solution, but it keeps it out of the way of traffic.

Wall mount: and there are lots of others http://www.prettypurpledoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wallplate.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures. The actual stereo module and the access point is behind the fire eqstinquisher. Reaching behind is kinda of pain, but doable. Just plug in your USB and it turns on automatically, starts playing songs.
Attachment 80944

I like what you've done. I'm looking into doing the same thing but I'm researching wireless USB adapter. I will post again if I find something.