Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysFan64 View Post
Hoisting a 25 gallon or 32 gallon tote (that I have filled) onto the bed of my truck. Boondocking will be mostly on our off grid acreage but just down the road is a campground with dump station. Thanks
I guess my definition of boondocking is different. When we are out in the woods without a dump station, we don't use our interior bathroom at all since we can't dump until we get to a station. The grey water situation is much easier to handle since it's just dishwater for us.

However, If you've got a larger rig are are not keen on pooping in the woods or digging a pit, I think your hoist idea is just fine.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Honestly, I believe you are over thinking this. For the two of us, the black tank will last almost three weeks. We both navy shower once a day, so the gray will last a week. We use 90 gallons of fresh water a week. How long are you going boondocking for?
We envision some stays at our property over 1 week and with a dump station close by, figure it will be easy to offload when needed and skip the navy shower thing. If we boondock elsewhere shorter stays so not as big a concern.
JaysFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
I guess my definition of boondocking is different. When we are out in the woods without a dump station, we don't use our interior bathroom at all since we can't dump until we get to a station. The grey water situation is much easier to handle since it's just dishwater for us.

However, If you've got a larger rig are are not keen on pooping in the woods or digging a pit, I think your hoist idea is just fine.
Thanks. We are buying a Mini Lite 2507S and want to enjoy the amenities it comes with whenever possible.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #24
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
How would that solve the issue of transporting the waste?
i believe they said they were putting the tote in the bed of the truck. no lifting required to pump it up into the bed. a little bit of set up though on the pump. no more so than the lift. but with the extra info from OP, the lift looks like a great fit!
IsleDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 PM   #25

If you are going to be doing most of your camping on your own property, why no just put in a field line (unless your going to be dumping black as well). It's not that difficult to do
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
If you are going to be doing most of your camping on your own property, why no just put in a field line (unless your going to be dumping black as well). It's not that difficult to do
Not familiar with a field line but if it involves a lot of digging, could be a problem as we are right on the Canadian Shield lol
Old 10-25-2018, 04:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not true.
Most gray water has food particles in it. It attracts insects, pests and animals.
Doing as you suggest, is illegal in every National Park I know of and every Western state parks I've ever been to.
what do you mean not true ? You listed the same things I did about grey water . You people are insane and know very little of true camping off grid on public lands that are not parks . Grey water hurts nothing and attracts no more insects, pests or animals then a open soda can or bbq . If fact less if at all ! So a week of boondocking does nothing to the environment or cause any issues you list . In fact the grass is greener because of it . I would guess your smell draws more flys then grey water
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
Are you saying you would dump Grey water on the ground ? that is illegal in the state of tennessee
that's what I do at my seasonal site. It's legal in MA. Drains down the mountianside.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Not familiar with a field line but if it involves a lot of digging, could be a problem as we are right on the Canadian Shield lol
for a camper i would think you could get away digging a trench about 50' long and about 2' deep and 2' wide line the bottom with gravel put in a 4 inch perforated drain pipe cover with gravel and dirt back on top. its done down south all the time to keep grey water out of the sepect tank
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #30
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

We dump grey water when we boon dock but we are strict in how we collect it in our tanks.
  1. All our soaps and shampoos are environmentally safe and biodegradable
  2. We NEVER put food water or sauces or food parts in our sinks. We do dump whatever minimal amount of those into the toilet.
  3. When dumping we use a 100 ft hose that we carry specifically so we can be selective as to which place in the desert gets it.
  4. Many times our grey water hose is left beside the fire pit and we use it for fire control.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Hey folks,

As we plan to do a fair bit of boondocking, I have been researching different ways to manage grey and black water. One thought I had was utilizing a hitch hoist along these lines: Gambrel Hoist and reel it on to the truck bed like a big fish I was already contemplating one of these as many use it to raise up their gennys.

There are specific straps you can buy which I think would make it manageable.

Probably a long shot but anyone doing this? Another option is the macerator but this is more cost effective.

Thanks!
So, how would this work? You'd lift the tote into the air and then rotate it so that it was over the tailgate and lower it?

I think the biggest concern I'd have is that there's anything strong enough to hang it by or that the straps wouldn't damage the tank. No idea if it's a valid concern, but jumps into my head.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #32

Hoist

Quote:
Hey folks,

As we plan to do a fair bit of boondocking, I have been researching different ways to manage grey and black water. One thought I had was utilizing a hitch hoist along these lines: Gambrel Hoist and reel it on to the truck bed like a big fish I was already contemplating one of these as many use it to raise up their gennys.

There are specific straps you can buy which I think would make it manageable.

Probably a long shot but anyone doing this? Another option is the macerator but this is more cost effective.

Thanks!
I use one like it from Gander Mt. to load gen and handicap scooter. Works well. I did shorten the length of the hoist by about 3 fedt to make it easier to manover. Don’t need to lift gen that high.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
So, how would this work? You'd lift the tote into the air and then rotate it so that it was over the tailgate and lower it?

I think the biggest concern I'd have is that there's anything strong enough to hang it by or that the straps wouldn't damage the tank. No idea if it's a valid concern, but jumps into my head.
Good point. Here is a video that may help illustrate what I am contemplating. Just looking at ways to do the same thing but with a 25 gallon tote.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-v...10-vrj001.aspx
Old 10-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
I use one like it from Gander Mt. to load gen and handicap scooter. Works well. I did shorten the length of the hoist by about 3 fedt to make it easier to manover. Don’t need to lift gen that high.
Thanks! Glad to hear it is working for you.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
We dump grey water when we boon dock but we are strict in how we collect it in our tanks.
  1. All our soaps and shampoos are environmentally safe and biodegradable
  2. We NEVER put food water or sauces or food parts in our sinks. We do dump whatever minimal amount of those into the toilet.
  3. When dumping we use a 100 ft hose that we carry specifically so we can be selective as to which place in the desert gets it.
  4. Many times our grey water hose is left beside the fire pit and we use it for fire control.
That's a good approach. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not true.
Most gray water has food particles in it. It attracts insects, pests and animals.
Doing as you suggest, is illegal in every National Park I know of and every Western state parks I've ever been to.
And yet there are those who tent camp in NF/NP's and dump their "gray water" in the bushes regularly. In fact the last campground I stayed at in WA (Buck Creek Campground in the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie Nat Forest) has a sign telling campers to merely dump their wash water away from the creek. Sounds to me that gray water isn't prohibited.

When I'm boondocking in unimproved areas I have been known to dig a large hole to dump black water in. Usually 3-4 feet deep and then cover whatever remains in the hole after the liquid has leached into the soil. When I'm camping in an area where I might have to do this I don't use any tank chemical.

Developed campgrounds often have a "gravel pit" for tent campers to dump their wash water in and a dump station for RV campers.

How is any of this any different than campers using the woods for their "business".

FWIW, I wonder how many outhouses are still in use in Tennessee?

Of course those who are boondocking for a long time could also do what the military did for years during the Vietnam war. Empty the black tank into a cut off 55 gallon drum, pour in some gas/diesel, then merely burn until the contents are totally dried out and consumed as much as possible. Don't worry, you'll get used to the smell after a while

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
And yet there are those who tent camp in NF/NP's and dump their "gray water" in the bushes regularly. In fact the last campground I stayed at in WA (Buck Creek Campground in the Mt Baker-Snoqualmie Nat Forest) has a sign telling campers to merely dump their wash water away from the creek. Sounds to me that gray water isn't prohibited.
Mike, my post said National Parks, not National Forests.
I have never said that dumping gray water was illegal in undeveloped areas, like deserts or national forests.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Yep. Simple don’t camp in Tennessee . Grey water does not hurt anything simple soap and maybe some minor food particles. Good for the grass and soil . Human waste is not !
Sorry, illegal in most states.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
And don't camp in AK, WA, ID, MT, OR, CA or any Canadian Province because it's illegal there also...

include Arizona in your list.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #40

The lists stating which states the discharge of gray water on the ground is "Illegal" might need to be upgraded.

WA State upgraded their standards for using gray water for irrigation in 2017. It's not as "illegal" as one might think. In fact it appears that more and more jurisdictions are encouraging the use of gray water for plant irrigation as wastewater treatment plants are getting overloaded with water and of course drinkable water is getting to be in short supply. Using gray water for irrigation is a way to cut the use of the stuff we can drink on lawns and plants.

In reading through the regs (WA State), max rate of discharge is 1 gal per sq/ft and that depends on the type of soil.

As I said, discharge may not be as illegal as you might think, especially if the soil is capable of soaking it up quickly.

I was in a campground in South Dakota one trip where the campground owner requested that campers discharge their gray water into the bermed areas he created around his trees and shrubs at the edges of every campsite. They all looked like they were thriving on the water.

Common sense out to indicate that dumping gray water on plants and trees is one thing and merely dumping it on the campsite itself is totally another.

I have a cap for my discharge that allows me to hook a hose (an old one I carry solely for this purpose) to it and direct the flow of gray water to an appropriate spot away from the campsite, usually well draining soil with vegetation. Nothing sinister in my gray water as I clean remaining food off my dishes before washing and don't pee in the shower.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch