Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Maintenance Engineer

Vent Fans - search for the perfect fan

I want a ceiling vent fan that:
- doesn’t require a remote to use it,
- doesn’t have a prone to failure circuit board/buttons
- doesn’t have the cheap cranks that break under normal use and are hard to turn,
- works to exhaust or recirculate,
- has at least some type of led night light on it
- a single speed (w/ reverse) is fine but I don’t care if its 1, 3, 10 or 100 speed,
- doesn’t have a cheap shaded pole motor, prefer brushless with bearings,
- bug screen is removable to clean
- I don’t care about price if its exactly what I want.
- Fits standard 14”X14” opening.

I’ve had the Fan-tastic fans before, the crank mechanism on them always breaks, the electronics tend to hold up. My last one broke when open after the mechanism froze with ice and we tried to close it during a sudden blizzard. I wasn’t happy about trying to find a large rock in 3 feet of snow, carrying the rock to the roof at midnight and having to use the rock to hold the vent closed till weather cleared and I could enjoy the pain of replacing the entire thing and resealing it all.

I’ve had the Maxxair fans before, the make it pretty circuit board buttons on them always fail or its just one more remote to change batteries in or lose, the crank mechanism holds up.

I’ve had the cheap original mfg equipped fans with the shaded pole motors, many can’t remove the screen to clean and well, just everything is wrong with them.

After searching and searching it looks like the led night light is out of the question and my only option is deciding if I’d rather have the crank fail with working electronics on a Fan-tastic, or the electronics fail with a working crank on the Maxxair.

I did find the Maxxair “mini deluxe”, its low CFM (600 I think) but thats ok my bathroom is small so as long as it moves stink out in the right direct its ok. It has a mechanical switch not a circuit board or worse remote. It has a built in LED night light. There’s no crank to fail and has a built in rain shield. Its big flaw I see however is the built in rain shield doesn’t look like you can remove it from outside without completely uninstalling the entire fan assembly. How are you supposed to remove bees, wasps and hornets from in the cover when they quickly decide its an ideal nest box in there for them? I don’t want to have to uninstall it every 3 days just to chase the yellow jackets out.

Does anyone here have or know of the perfect fan I’m describing and looking for?
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post

Does anyone here have or know of the perfect fan I’m describing and looking for?
In my world there is no such thing as perfect. There are always compromises, usually because the closer to perfect you can get is often more expensive than most will pay.

Have you ever considered building one? Just purchase the best parts you can find and then assemble them the way you want.

Get a good crank mechanism and build your own lift. Ditto for speed control or on/off switch, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Maintenance Engineer

Lol Mike, I’m very technically inclined, not an artistic gene in my entire body though. If I were to build my own Frankenstein fan I wouldn’t even want to imagine how cosmetically unappealing it would be even when seen on my roof from outer space.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Maintenance Engineer

I’d have a 3 phase elevator motor driving it with a 1GWatt diesel generator mounted on my roof all wrapped in electric fencing to serve as a built in bug and rodent zapper, the little night light would end up being KC truck flood lights for artificial daylight I could work on my tan with while taking a dump.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Lol Mike, I’m very technically inclined, not an artistic gene in my entire body though. If I were to build my own Frankenstein fan I wouldn’t even want to imagine how cosmetically unappealing it would be even when seen on my roof from outer space.
Just start with your existing unit and upgrade the most problematic pieces. Lid "operator" and fan switch.

I just upgraded my vent hood over the stove.

Installed a PWM speed control with knob/potentiometer. Quieted the noise right down. I set speed so the steam from a fully boiling pot exhausts completely, no faster.

Cost? Around $5

Same could work on your bath fan.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:20 PM   #6

Our Cedar Creek 36 CKTS has two Fantastic fans that are self open- close rain sensor equipped and controlled either manual speed or thermostat variable speed. you can also just open the vent and not run the fan. We use them a lot and really like them. I would never use anything else.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #7

We had four Fan-Tastic Vent fans with Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Breeze Vent Covers installed three years ago. We have two Fan-Tastic Vent Fans, bedroom & kitchen, with wireless as my wife can not reach the ceiling. The Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Breeze Vent Cover allow us to use the fans even in the rain.

We are satisfied with our Fan-Tastic Vent fans. [/QUOTE]
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #8

Fantastic

I have a Fantastic-Fan. It is noisy. I took it apart found out the motor was making all the noise. How does the Maxxair do for noise? Do not understand why the motor makes all the noise, would replace it if new one was quieter.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDenn View Post
I have a Fantastic-Fan. It is noisy. I took it apart found out the motor was making all the noise. How does the Maxxair do for noise? Do not understand why the motor makes all the noise, would replace it if new one was quieter.
Our Fantastic-Fans are quiet on low.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDenn View Post
The last Maxxair I had was quieter than the Fan-tastic ones I've used when on a lower speed, both brands seemed loud when on full blast. The Maxxair did have the advantage of being much quieter when open and not running, the wind doesn't sound like its trying to tear the thing off the roof like with the Fan-tastic, which is also a really annoying noise anytime day or night. Here where I'm at in NV its almost never not windy, so that has me leaning heavy to the Maxxair, I was just hoping there was another option I wasn't aware of.

It seems like there would be a better market someone would take advantage of for making and selling higher end RV everything as well as a lot more options and compatibility with app controlled devices and sensors. I have one app for controlling TV's (Samsung), a car audio system app (Pioneer), a different app for my CO2 and smoke alarms (Nest), a different app for my temperatures I monitor like temperature at my tanks and in the refrigerator and freezer (a Samsung Hub System), then yet another app for cameras because at the time I bought my cameras there wasn't a lot of 12V options out there. Even lighting fixtures, the only way to have nice lighting fixtures that don't look Camco cheap is to gut regular residential lighting and adapt 12V into it.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
The last Maxxair I had was quieter than the Fan-tastic ones I've used when on a lower speed, both brands seemed loud when on full blast. The Maxxair did have the advantage of being much quieter when open and not running, the wind doesn't sound like its trying to tear the thing off the roof like with the Fan-tastic, which is also a really annoying noise anytime day or night. Here where I'm at in NV its almost never not windy, so that has me leaning heavy to the Maxxair, I was just hoping there was another option I wasn't aware of.

It seems like there would be a better market someone would take advantage of for making and selling higher end RV everything as well as a lot more options and compatibility with app controlled devices and sensors. I have one app for controlling TV's (Samsung), a car audio system app (Pioneer), a different app for my CO2 and smoke alarms (Nest), a different app for my temperatures I monitor like temperature at my tanks and in the refrigerator and freezer (a Samsung Hub System), then yet another app for cameras because at the time I bought my cameras there wasn't a lot of 12V options out there. Even lighting fixtures, the only way to have nice lighting fixtures that don't look Camco cheap is to gut regular residential lighting and adapt 12V into it.
Our vent covers stop the wind noise. I leave one vent open to stop moisture build-up when in storage. I also purchased Fan-Tastic Vent U1550BL Ultra Breeze Bug Screen Kits because I hated the noise of mosquitos buzzing on the inner screens at night.

I have used for three summers without any issues.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #12
Maintenance Engineer

That's a good point to consider, I've never actually used one of those covers, but was planning to put one on what I ended up with this time.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #13

we changed out our cheapo fan that the screen would not stay to a Vortex fan. Multi Speed and reverse. LOVE the thing, moves more air out and is much more quiet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Vortex-V...AAAOSwAO1anZ5A
Old 04-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #14
Maintenance Engineer

Since no one seems to know of the perfect fan I’m looking for I’ll conclude it doesn’t exist yet.

I’m probably going to go with a Maxxair since I like their crank mechanism a lot better than the poor design of the Fan-tastic crank. Then I’m just going to eliminate Maxxair’s fancy prone to failure electronics by figuring out the optimum speed for air circulation and noise balance and just wire in a 3 position on/off/on wall switch. On turns the fan and LED lights I’m going to rig into it on, off does the obvious, and the second on position for just light only.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Since no one seems to know of the perfect fan I’m looking for I’ll conclude it doesn’t exist yet.

I’m probably going to go with a Maxxair since I like their crank mechanism a lot better than the poor design of the Fan-tastic crank. Then I’m just going to eliminate Maxxair’s fancy prone to failure electronics by figuring out the optimum speed for air circulation and noise balance and just wire in a 3 position on/off/on wall switch. On turns the fan and LED lights I’m going to rig into it on, off does the obvious, and the second on position for just light only.
I've read your fan experiences, let me tell you some of mine... I have two MaXXair fans. My R/V came with them. They were both 4 speed Plus models.

They both had removable covers over them.
Because of roof height where I park my R/V, I had to replace one of them with the lower profile MaXXfan Deluxe.

My DW likes white noise so the Deluxe runs every camping trip and while we were in FL this winter, it ran EVERY night for over 3+ months straight.

No issues in what is now 2.5 years since installation. It runs outward when we shower and use the toilet and in reverse with the lid closed all night long.

The batteries in the remote are still the same that came in it.

The other original Maxxfan gets about half that use and is hardwired to the remote buttons and has had zero issues either.

We had a SOB (some other brand) 5th wheel at our lake property that had a Ventline fan in it from new that also ran endless hours without issues for 14 years. It was quite noisy though, I will say that.

My point... not everyone can condem all fans in the same manner as you.

As always, everyone has an opinion.
Mine comes from our own personal extended use and I would highly recommend the Maxxfan Deluxe.

Can't help you with the light, ours has none so I have no experience there.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #16

Quote:

I did something similar, but my light and fan are separate.

When I changed out the fan for the Vortex I simply set the fan on medium speed (whatever that is) and ran a wire down to a wall switch to turn it on and off.

If I want to change fan speeds I do have to reach up to the ceiling fan to turn the speed dial. But from a practical standpoint that almost never happens.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:39 AM   #17

Maxxfan Plus for the Fan,you select Manual or Remote! Fanmate Vent Cover that installs on this Fan without Mods or Tools! Maxxshade Plus on the inside takes care of the Heat and Light from Mr Sun and Has built in LED lights all in the Trim Ring! This is a "Build Your Own Solution to Your Dilemma! 3 components from the Same Source makes it Very easy to build! Youroo!!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #18
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Maxxfan Plus for the Fan,you select Manual or Remote! Fanmate Vent Cover that installs on this Fan without Mods or Tools! Maxxshade Plus on the inside takes care of the Heat and Light from Mr Sun and Has built in LED lights all in the Trim Ring! This is a "Build Your Own Solution to Your Dilemma! 3 components from the Same Source makes it Very easy to build! Youroo!!
Now that’s the kind of solution I was looking for, in all my searching I’ve never seen that maxxshade plus thing with the light in it, who’s ever in charge of their marketing dept needs to be fired.

When the fancy buttons inevitably fail its much easier to just replace them with a simple switch than have to reinstall an entire new fan from the lift mechanism breaking like on the Fan-tastic fans. That experience of having their lift mechanism break in the open position at midnight during a blizzard was not pleasant at all. One of those times you’ll remember the rest of your life.

I’d give you a much deserved thanks for that solution but it doesn’t seem to be an option on the websites mobile version.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Now that’s the kind of solution I was looking for, in all my searching I’ve never seen that maxxshade plus thing with the light in it, who’s ever in charge of their marketing dept needs to be fired.

When the fancy buttons inevitably fail its much easier to just replace them with a simple switch than have to reinstall an entire new fan from the lift mechanism breaking like on the Fan-tastic fans. That experience of having their lift mechanism break in the open position at midnight during a blizzard was not pleasant at all. One of those times you’ll remember the rest of your life.

I’d give you a much deserved thanks for that solution but it doesn’t seem to be an option on the websites mobile version.
I've read several of your threads/posts, and I have to say that you either have the worst luck of any human, are too hard on your stuff, modify your stuff too much, or just have unrealistic expectations.
You remind me of one our camping buddies who always need a repair of some sort on every trip. We know if he goes, we will be drawn into his equipment failure repair of the day, at some point.
Keep it simple and just enjoy RVing. But then, maybe working on your RV is your enjoyment
Happy Camping!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Maintenance Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I've read several of your threads/posts, and I have to say that you either have the worst luck of any human, are too hard on your stuff, modify your stuff too much, or just have unrealistic expectations.
You remind me of one our camping buddies who always need a repair of some sort on every trip. We know if he goes, we will be drawn into his equipment failure repair of the day, at some point.
Keep it simple and just enjoy RVing. But then, maybe working on your RV is your enjoyment
Happy Camping!
Fixing problems is what I’ve done professionally my entire life outside of the 4 years I spent in the USMC as a Forward Observer, so it kind of goes with my territory to always be fixing things. I also always buy things for cheap because people think its beyond hope and I know the right way to fix and solve the problems they had with what ever it was. The real problem is once I get the stuff fixed there’s nothing for me to do lol, so I end up selling it for a profit and begin a new problem project.

Tags
fan, vent