Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #1

Warming Up Pass Thru Compartment

Wasn't expecting to be in freezing weather but am for a bit.
Have a remote thermometer and it never got below 34 degrees in the covered underbelly(at least where the thermometer was) and just running the fireplace. Low twenties and upper teens overnight. I run the propane now when it gets that low but wanted to see some numbers with just the fireplace running.

Pass thru stayed above 34 also but when I opened up the compartment with the water pump a laser thermometer said 32 on the pump. Water was fluid in the filter container.

Since the pass thru is unheated I installed a light socket assembly with an outlet on it. Cut some cord and put two male plugs on it with one end routed to a bracket under the camper. The end at the light is tie wrapped to the fixture and in a groove, should stay put.

Got down in the high teens again the other night and the water filter/pump compartment never go below 50 degrees. I did put a 150 what bulb in it but I believe a 100 watt would be sufficient.

Can run an extension cord from the outside GFI on the camper or the 15 amp on the pedestal.

I've done the same set up with my garage door openers as vibrating openers are tough on bulbs. Just need to get a screw in receptacle for the bulb socket. Even added multiple lights.

Now it I could just do something similar with my low point drains.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light In Pass Thru (2).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	282038

Name:	Light In Pass Thru (3).jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	282039

Name:	Light In Pass Thru (1).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	282040

Name:	Light In Pass Thru (4).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	282041
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Two things….
1. What exactly is in the pass through to warrant heating? Your plumbing?
2. Double ended male electrical plugs are EXTREMELY dangerous to anyone other than the person who made the mod. Just remember, if one end IS actually plugged into a live receptacle, the other ended MALE prongs are now energized and could electrocute someone. Extremely dangerous.

Just sayin’.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:49 PM   #3

In rare times when I need to, rather than using light bulbs for basement heat, I like to use a small ceramic heater, one with a low 170 watt setting. I plug it into a thermostatically controlled outlet that keeps temperature above freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HCE...872373692&th=1
Old 12-04-2022, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Two things….
1. What exactly is in the pass through to warrant heating? Your plumbing?
2. Double ended male electrical plugs are EXTREMELY dangerous to anyone other than the person who made the mod. Just remember, if one end IS actually plugged into a live receptacle, the other ended MALE prongs are now energized and could electrocute someone. Extremely dangerous.

Just sayin’.
Just me and the both ends are secured, the bulb end should never come out of its receptacle. If it does I will see it as I will want to make sure the light comes on. Only time it is energized is going to be on very low temp nights. Thought about a heater but wanted something away from any thing that could burn and not possibly tip over.

Only thing I am worried about is the water pump area.

Never had a cord vibrate out of a garage door opener so I think I will be ok.
Husky CenterLine WDH
Old 12-05-2022, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
In rare times when I need to, rather than using light bulbs for basement heat, I like to use a small ceramic heater, one with a low 170 watt setting. I plug it into a thermostatically controlled outlet that keeps temperature above freezing.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HCE...872373692&th=1
Hadn't seen that one. One of the reasons going the lightbulb route was all the small heaters I looked at were 1200 watts or better, don't recall exactly. High enough where I did not want to worry about electrical load if running the fireplace or microwave at the same time. Circuit breaker may be 30 amps but does not mean I need to push it.

Had a pedestal 30 amp breaker go weak on me two weeks ago on a cold night, third night there and no indications of problems before that. Plugged into the 15 amp receptacle then. Closest pedestal was more than seventy feet away and too dark to move.
Husky CenterLine WDH
Old 05-13-2023, 03:38 PM   #6

I had an issue with freezing in Nebraska earlier this year. I installed insulation in the water compartments, installed a wireless thermometer in each, and electrical sockets controlled by a switch in the coach.

When it gets cold, I put low power ceramic heaters in the bay to keep them warm. If it was going to freeze, I turn on the switch and have no issue. I did have to use it in April and it worked great.
bduemig is offline   Reply With Quote