Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Water miser in bathroom shower

Has anyone removed the water miser that's in the bathroom showers and if so did it improve the water flow. Our 2019 Flagstaff 26rbws seems to have very little shower pressure, just wondering if removing that miser would help
AWLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Probably not the water miser (it is out of the system when turned off) but rather the restrictor in the faucet control or the shower head.

This issue is discussed often here.

Some opt for a different shower head like the Oxygenics (I personally do not like them) or many of us drilled bigger holes in the restrictor.

The factory installs restrictors to help conserve water when boondocking. (no hook-ups)
If you only go to full hook-up sites then you can even remove the restrictor altogether as water conservation isn't usually an issue.

Do you have good flow/pressure at other faucets?
Are you using the pump or connected to city water?
Do you know what your system pressure is?

Low FLOW is often a culprit of debris in the faucet valves or the aerators.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #3

We had very low flow in the shower too. I changed out my water pressure regulator and got a noticeable increase. We Snowbird in AZ and a couple years of the super hard water there causes them to restrict flow. We also have the water miser and I’m not convinced that it doesn’t decrease flow. We get good flow at toilet and bathroom sink. Then the miser goes into the line and shower and kitchen have reduced flow.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Most showers have a flow restriction device installed on the bottom of the faucet assembly, where the hose attaches.

Mine has a plastic disc with tab to hold it in place and about a 1/8" hole in the center. If you aren't limited in water supply, remove the hose from the faucet assy and remove. A paper clip with a hook on the end or just turn on a faucet and water pressure will force it out. Might want to have a container under it to keep from getting wet.

If doing a lot of Boondocking, might be a good idea to leave it in to limit flow. Without it you get the full output of the water pump which provides more water than necessary.

Note: The "Water Miser" that recycles water to the tank while waiting for hot water to arrive at shower head is a different item and I doubt it restricts flow. Just the small orifice in the insert described above.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

We put Oxygenics in the shower. Great pressure and uses less water. Available about everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxygenics2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	209533  

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Grammar Pedant

Oxygenics isn't a shower head. Oxygenics is a brand of shower heads. I'm not being pedantic; there is a real-world reason to differentiate. Many people have gone to Home Depot and others and purchased an Oxygenics brand shower head ... and then were dissatisfied. They were dissatisfied because they bought a residential shower head that didn't perform as well in an RV. Oxygenics makes about a dozen different shower heads and only two of them are for RVs ... and neither is sold at Lowes, et al.

It's similar to telling someone that they should get a Chevy to tow their 8,500 lb trailer. They go buy a Chevy and then bash the hell out of the terrible performance. The one making the recommendation really meant a Chevy 2500 and the someone bought a Chevy Camaro.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

The Oxygenics BodySpa in my photo is for use in RV's or you can use in the home.

https://www.amazon.com/Oxygenics-Sho...-1-spons&psc=1

or
https://www.amazon.com/Oxygenics-264...s%2C470&sr=8-4

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
We put Oxygenics in the shower. Great pressure and uses less water. Available about everywhere.
The shower head you replaced with an Oxgenics may have flowed more GPM than the advertised 2.0 GPM of the Oxgenics but you can't paint with that broad of a brush statement for everyone.

My factory shower head flowed 1.5 GPM and a bucket test of it and the RV Body Spa Oxgenics I purchased proved the Oxgenics did in fact flow more water.

We were not impressed and sent it back.
The stiff, uncontrollable hose that came with it made our experience even worse.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

We used the Oxygenics Body Spa in our last TT, and installed the Oxygenics Fury RV Shower Kit in our new one. It feels as if we get better water flow, although I have not measured the OEM versus the Fury. The book is still open on the mounting bracket that comes with that kit - looks nice and allows some flexibility in the positioning of the shower head, but it seems to work itself loose fairly quickly. A turn of the threaded section quickly tightens it, but I'm wondering if it may be an issue later. Could have used the Fury with the OEM mounting bracket, and that might have been a better idea. But in general, I like both the Fury and the Body Spa better than the OEM.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
...but it seems to work itself loose fairly quickly...
Try a bit of plumbers tape on the ball socket cap threads.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The shower head you replaced with an Oxgenics may have flowed more GPM than the advertised 2.0 GPM of the Oxgenics but you can't paint with that broad of a brush statement for everyone.

My factory shower head flowed 1.5 GPM and a bucket test of it and the RV Body Spa Oxgenics I purchased proved the Oxgenics did in fact flow more water.

We were not impressed and sent it back.
The stiff, uncontrollable hose that came with it made our experience even worse.
You too? Mine is still wants to stick out into the middle of the shower stall.

I'm thinking of pulling it off, immersing it in a pot of boiling water and then quickly reinstalling with a heavy bath towel forcing it to hang down in a loop.

Like the shower head, hate the hose.

Haven't tried to see if the original hose will fit. Know it will on one end at least, will maybe try to see if it also fits the head. IT was flexible

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
You too? Mine is still wants to stick out into the middle of the shower stall.

I'm thinking of pulling it off, immersing it in a pot of boiling water and then quickly reinstalling with a heavy bath towel forcing it to hang down in a loop.

Like the shower head, hate the hose.

Haven't tried to see if the original hose will fit. Know it will on one end at least, will maybe try to see if it also fits the head. IT was flexible
You can buy any type of hose you want. All the ones I've used are interchangeable. I love my RV Oxygenics shower head. Never used the hose that came with it..... too stiff
https://www.amazon.com/slp/handheld-...kk7zask9qu85gf
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, roo, show, shower, water