Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

WeBoost 4G-X RV vs WeBoost Home 4G

I have a Cherokee 274RKS TT in an RV Park. The TT is stationary and will not be moved. I am looking to purchase a WeBoost cell signal booster, and since the TT isn’t going anywhere, it was suggested that I purchase the home 4G version. It’s $100 cheaper and has a higher potential dB gain. However, I was also told that since the camper has a rubber roof, the signal on that one may be too strong and cause oscillation.

It seems that there is an inverse relationship between antennae distance and the length of the cable run. I’m not sure how high I can raise the outdoor antennae on a pole per HOA regulations, but will check that first.

Therefore, if anyone has some technical knowledge of this type of thing, I would appreciate any input/advice you may have.

Seems like the Home 4G in my particular situation may be a better fit.

FYI - my apple iPhone 6+ has had a dB reading of -96.25 in field test. My problem is the dropped signal every 5-10 minutes from LTE and then back to LTE and thought this may solve my issue.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Reynolds4FSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Always Learning

My fear would be exactly what you said: "signal on that one may be too strong and cause oscillation".

I'd ask this via one of the forums that www.rvmobileinternet.com sponsors. Either their Member forum if you pay or their open Facebook group if you Facebook and aren't a member.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Do you really need LTE? I turned LTE off on our phones, 4G is plenty for us to watch YouTube and pretty much everything we do on our phones, even watching Netflix on the TV and it increases battery life by maybe 1 hour or so.

IMO, a booster can improve the signal strength but may or may not resolve the dropped signal, it depends on what causes it.

The height of the pole makes no difference if you are on level terrain (with in 'line of sight' with the tower) and you have a weak signal because of distance, but if the cell signal is obstructed by nearby tall buildings, mountains, hills, thick forest.... then raising the antenna as high as possible definitely helps.

The residential booster can boost the signal up to 65 db (in theory and under lab conditions) but it needs more separation between the indoor and outdoor antenna, the RV booster is somewhat weaker but doesn't require as much separation to prevent oscillation. If your RV had a metal roof then a residential booster would be a no brainer but otherwise you should have 40' separation between the antennas.

Anyway, a -96.25 db LTE signal before boosting would be a dream come true for us, we are more in the -100 db range on 4G.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

The "oscillatiion" problem is caused by having the input antenna and the output antenna TOO CLOSE together.

Weboost calls for a minimum of 20 feet vertical or 50 feet horizontal run between the two in the HOME unit.

Probably the 20 feet won't be a problem if you lift input antenna in the air.

There is no spec for 15 ft high AND 20 feet between, but I suspect some combination of high and wide will work.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick response guys.

The pole height would be for separation of the external and internal antennae. Not for better reception from the cell tower.

Not to confuse matters, but I thought 4G LTE is a way to get to true 4G which is the best connection available. I’m no expert, so I may have this backwards.

Based on the separation minimums, I may just stick with the 4G-X RV unit. WeBoost has a 30 day guarantee, and I probably won’t know until I try the unit out in my particular situation. If it works, great. If not, I go from there.

Seems like the most difficult part of setting this up is getting 20’ of separation in a 27’ (internal) trailer.

I’ll check the other forum (through Facebook). Thanks for the link. If I find any truly useful information, I’ll report back on that.

On a final note, I assume that this device will help me from getting the “no service” status. My thought process is that if I can get a stronger overall signal, I’ll eliminate dropped signal moments. It’s not like the signal isn’t there, it’s that it can be where my phone antennae just isn’t up for the job on its own. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Hi

I use a home booster system in my RV. I put the outdoor antenna on the rear part of the roof and ran the RG6 across the roof and down the fridge vent and up and out under the front bedroom of the 5th wheel.

I mounted the amplifier on the wood on the side of the bed below the mattress. My RV is 36 foot total so I have about 8 foot vertical and 25 feet horizontal.

My unit has boost attenuators so I can adjust the boost to get rid of oscillation if it occurs and it does happen occasionally. I don't know what it depends on but sometimes it happens. I would guess it depends on which way the outdoor antenna is pointing.

My suggestion is to get one with boost adjustments. I hope this helps.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Team

I use the 4G-X RV with no issues. The outside antenna in on a 16ft painters pole attached to rear bumper which creates a separation of about 10ft vertically and 5ft horizontally. Based on the design of the antennas, the vertical distance provides the most separation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 AM   #8

We have the 4G Home version. I carry sections of PVC piping that fit inside each other and I can get about 30 feet in height. I have both the directional and the omni antennas and are raised at the back of the trailer. The indoor antenna is toward the front. The unit will automatically step the power down if it senses oscillations. That said, if I had it to do over again I believe the RV model is worth the extra money as it is specialized somewhat for an RV and has a bit newer technology (so I'm told). By the way, our unit came with the directional antenna. I called WeBoost and asked if the omni would work with our system and they sent me one free of charge. Wow! That's nice customer service!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #9

Ok, thanks for the ideas.

Boost attenuators? Hmmmmm

Is that a WeBoost product? I’m not familiar with that. I don’t want to make this too difficult though and over think this. Having a way to adjust things sounds like a good idea though.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Site Team

One additional note. The amp itself does get warm. I would not mount it in a small area that had poor ventilation.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote