Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1

What fell off your camper today?

I have a 2019 wolf pup. In 2019 plastic bathroom vent cover just crumbled. I took that to be a regular maintenance item but the one I replaced it with has lasted quite well. I guess the factory bought some that were not uv stabilized plastic Then one day the outside vent for the range hood just fell off. It was just clipped on. I replaced it and glued it and screwed it. The next thing to leave camp going down the road where the treads from my castle rock tires. I upgraded to endurance and rolled on. Then of course the end caps for the bumper left quietly for parts unknown. It was a good impetus to put in a fence post big enough for the sewer hose and nozzle. Instead of caps a short piece of rod keeps all contents secure and ventilated as well. The next items to give up were the outside speakers so I replaced them, having nothing better to plug the hole. Then today when opening the awning the electric light strip at the top fell off. It has been sewn on with thread that was not UV stabilized. Turns out the strip just easily unplugs inside the awning arm. I’m planning on living without that piece of froufrou. I’m hoping the a/c will die soon so I can get a quieter one. I know it sounds like I may be complaining but quite frankly I enjoy tinkering with my trailer as much as I do camping. You don’t have to admit it if you do too. What would we do for fun if they actually did a better job building these things.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #2

RVs are a constant maintenance/check things. It has been my experience that things are not tight one day and just fall of the next, it is usually something neglected to check on a regular schedule. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

We were very fortunate to purchase a TT that has demanded very little attention in correcting quality/construction issues. But that hasn't stopped us from lavishing hours of retired-person's time on its upkeep!

Perhaps it's my years of experience keeping British sports cars running that has trained me to dedicate regular maintenance time to the TT. It's held up amazingly well over the last three years and we want to keep it that way. Of course, there are the spring and fall maintenance and upkeep tasks, but in addition to those, we do regular checks when we travel.

As our salesperson said, the TT endures a "rolling earthquake" every time is hits the road. Things are bound to loosen, flex and, sometimes, fail. This has led us to conduct a mini-check of the chassis, wheel/tires, interior/exterior seams and hardware in the first 24-hours after arriving at the campsite and then, again, when we return home. And, while we have not discovered anything of note, each future trip we take will increase the chances of something needing attention.

As you know, it takes some effort and time to correct all the bonehead factory issues that can arise. However, it is good that, while off-putting, the issues can be addressed with your skills, time and your Mastercard. Owning an RV is certainly NOT a "hands-off" experience!

Cheers

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #4

Had a bolt fall out from inside the theater seat center armrest support bracket; ties vertical section to base section. Required removal of 1 theater seat to get the mid section out. Then needed to deconstruct some of the underside cloth trim to get at the bolt and bracket, then reinstall the bolt, fix the cloth trim and finally reinstall the armrest and seat. Beginning to think RV is Repair Vigorously.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
D W

Some leaves from a nearby birch tree.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

Theo is right. You really need an old English sports car to understand the maintenance necessary on a TT. I still miss my Austin Healey where every trip was an adventure. (To see if it would get you back home.) Just like an old sports car, you learn the idiosyncrasies of your TT. (At least I don't have to carry a hammer to smack the fuel pump mounting bolt to get it to start pumping again as I was driving down the highway.)

Just remember; "It's an adventure."
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

Talking

That's how us old guys know everything. Just ask us.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

We have enjoyed our Artic Wolf for the last 2 years.
It fits my wife and I quite well and the grandkids once in a while.
But now we have a few of the little things popping up.
like the front half of the trailer with no power strange yes it is
but tap the wall right by the toilet and it works again.
The pass through hatch drivers side won't stay closed
Why couldn't these things happen while it was still under warranty??
3 weeks past but oh well life happens.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Some leaves from a nearby birch tree.
In my case it was some welcome rain falling from the gutter extensions.

For those who are having a lot of parts falling off their camper, have you had the tires/wheels balanced? Vibration can certainly cause this problem almost as much as having the items left loose at the factory.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:47 AM   #10

I really stupidly pulled out of my driveway in a hurry for a quick errand the other day and forgot to remove the power cord first.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I really stupidly pulled out of my driveway in a hurry for a quick errand the other day and forgot to remove the power cord first.
That must have looked strange to see your house dragging behind in the rear view mirror!
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #12

Hi everyone. I have a 2020 16fq wolf pup / Patriot and have many of the same issues. I used a couple of self drilling self taping screws to fasten the rubber bumper plug in place on the passenger side of the bumper. I used a short peace of SS bath tub plug chain and fittings fastened to the driver side bumper plug so that I dont forget it when dumping or if it falls out when going down the road it will be just dangling from the chain when I arrive.So far it has not fallen out.This spring I designed / built and installed a set of brackets for HD truck shocks on my trailer.That ended things falling off and moving around in the trailer plus the trailer tows so much better.I have ordered a foam mattress from Costco and waiting for it to arrive.It is designed to fold or roll up --we will see.Next year I plan to install a set of balanced GY Endurance one size larger tires.That should also make the trailer tow better.Could I get feed back from Wolf Pup owners that have installed GY Endurance tires please.Yes its fun to tinker with our trailers. Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb16fq77 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a 2020 16fq wolf pup / Patriot and have many of the same issues. I used a couple of self drilling self taping screws to fasten the rubber bumper plug in place on the passenger side of the bumper. I used a short peace of SS bath tub plug chain and fittings fastened to the driver side bumper plug so that I dont forget it when dumping or if it falls out when going down the road it will be just dangling from the chain when I arrive.So far it has not fallen out.This spring I designed / built and installed a set of brackets for HD truck shocks on my trailer.That ended things falling off and moving around in the trailer plus the trailer tows so much better.I have ordered a foam mattress from Costco and waiting for it to arrive.It is designed to fold or roll up --we will see.Next year I plan to install a set of balanced GY Endurance one size larger tires.That should also make the trailer tow better.Could I get feed back from Wolf Pup owners that have installed GY Endurance tires please.Yes its fun to tinker with our trailers. Rob
I find your shock conversion interesting. Any chance you could post a picture on how you did it? Etrailer sells kits, but they get pretty pricey.

Former Montana owner
Old 09-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #14

We've lost one bumper cover...picked it up on our way back home but it was misshapen enough that it couldn't be used. Luckily, the rhino flex sewer tube is such a tight fit that it's not going anywhere.

This weekend, I noticed after towing, that the rubber seal that covers the the screws at the top back of TT has disintegrated and fell down.

2017 Wildwood 261BHXL

2021 Ford F-150 XLT
kpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #15
code.org

Zen and the Art of RV Maintenance

Anyone remember Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig?

The book really struck a chord with me as my father was an electrical engineer that worked for NASA and later GE Aerospace. We camped all my life and we had numerous toys: RV's, boats, motorcycles, dune buggies, restored classic cars, and roadsters. Maintenance was a year-round activity and our toys were always in tip-top shape while others we were with spent their outings fixing their toys.

IMHO, I learned from the best and I hope my RV reflects that and that my father would be proud that I learned his lessons.

For those unfamiliar with Pirsig's exceptional novel, here is a brief thematic synopsis, and a Wiki link:

"In the book, the narrator describes the "romantic" approach to life of his friend, John Sutherland, who chooses not to learn how to maintain his expensive new motorcycle. John simply hopes for the best with his bike, and when problems do occur he often becomes frustrated and is forced to rely on professional mechanics to repair it. In contrast, the "classical" narrator has an older motorcycle which he is usually able to diagnose and repair himself through the use of rational problem-solving skills.

In an example of the classical approach, the narrator explains that one must pay continual attention: when the narrator and his friends come into Miles City, Montana he notices the engine running roughly, a possible indication that the fuel/air mixture is too rich. The next day he is thinking of this as he is going through his ritual to adjust the jets on his motorcycle's carburetor. During the adjustment, he notes that both spark plugs are black, confirming a rich mixture. He recognizes that the higher elevation is causing the engine to run rich. The narrator rectifies this by installing new jets and adjusting the valves, and the engine runs well again.

With this, the book details two types of personalities: those who are interested mostly in gestalt—romantic viewpoints focused on being in the moment, and not on rational analysis—and those who seek to know details, understand inner workings, and master mechanics—viewpoints with application of rational analysis, vis-a-vis motorcycle maintenance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_an...le_Maintenance
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #16

I usually leave a trail of depression, fear, and bad vibes.
They fall away as a trip progesses.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #17

Hi comanchecreek.I am terrible with computers and we are in the middle of the 4th wave of coved 19.It is way worse this time because of the way it was handled by our government. So I cant even ask my grandkids to post pictures. I will give you a rundown of what is needed to build your own shock kit.If I could get a fax number or a mailing address I will send you a set of drawings.An angle grinder and drill press capable of drilling up to a 5/8" hole.Basic layout tools -socket set -combination wrench set is what you need to fab the brackets.I used KYB 344068 shocks because they come with the upper mounting stud. Very important! Material for each side is as follows 1/8 wall 1 1/4X 1 1/4 X 5" sq. tube for the lower mount 4X4X 1/4 X 5" long angle for the upper bracket.The upper bracket is bolted to the inside frame rail and the lower bracket is bolted to the 2 rear shackle bolts by removing the existing nuts and installing GRADE 5- 1/2 NF coupling nuts.The lower shock bracket is bolted to the 2 coupling nuts which make a nice solid mount.Total cost is less than 100 bucks.Most metal supply stores will cut to length for you and use thicker material if the price is right.Cheers Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #18
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Anyone remember Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig?...{snip}
I read this book about a year after it came out. It informed my approach toward keeping the 1969 MGB-GT I was driving at the time on the road. However, when I replaced the MG with a 1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500, the maintenance analysis process was made much easier: the Spitfire's bonnet pivoted up and (mostly) out of the way to completely expose the engine and front suspension. Many contemplative hours were spent sitting on one of the front tires trying to analyze its myriad mechanical issues.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Anyone remember Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig?

I remember it well and learned a lot from it.

That's why my last trailer was 22 years old when I sold it to get a more appropriate floor plan for my needs and still do my towing with a 17+ year old truck.

Also learned the term "IRON" when in the Army. Stands for Inspect & Replace Only as Necessary. Some people prefer to "Keep fixing until something breaks"

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb16fq77 View Post
Hi comanchecreek.I am terrible with computers and we are in the middle of the 4th wave of coved 19.It is way worse this time because of the way it was handled by our government. So I cant even ask my grandkids to post pictures. I will give you a rundown of what is needed to build your own shock kit.If I could get a fax number or a mailing address I will send you a set of drawings.An angle grinder and drill press capable of drilling up to a 5/8" hole.Basic layout tools -socket set -combination wrench set is what you need to fab the brackets.I used KYB 344068 shocks because they come with the upper mounting stud. Very important! Material for each side is as follows 1/8 wall 1 1/4X 1 1/4 X 5" sq. tube for the lower mount 4X4X 1/4 X 5" long angle for the upper bracket.The upper bracket is bolted to the inside frame rail and the lower bracket is bolted to the 2 rear shackle bolts by removing the existing nuts and installing GRADE 5- 1/2 NF coupling nuts.The lower shock bracket is bolted to the 2 coupling nuts which make a nice solid mount.Total cost is less than 100 bucks.Most metal supply stores will cut to length for you and use thicker material if the price is right.Cheers Rob
Thanks RJB

Former Montana owner

Tags
camper